Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Patch a tire

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 ·
I picked up a nail on my last ride and want to save this tire, several thousand miles left on it. I used a regular plug but not successfully so I have ordered patch plugs that are installed from the inside. So my question is, has anyone used these before? Is there a trick? Burn incense? Hope you can help........

#4 ·
+1

I plugged a rear tire in Oklahoma which got me home to Florida just fine but failed a couple of months later. I replaced the entire rear tire with only 6k miles on it. Should have patched it as soon as I got home. Live and learn...

#10 ·
Tire manufacturers generally recommend a patch on the inside as the preferred repair. I have patched many tires and never had a problem with them.

I recently came across something called Dynaplug on a Corvette forum. It is a self contained plugging system that uses a different type of plug. I ordered one for the Versys and then another for the cars. The one I carry on the Versys is about 4" long, 1" in diameter, weighs about an ounce 32 grams.

#15 ·
The plug patches I ordered from napa came without instructions, so I roughed up the patch surface, applied glue and pulled the plug thru. Then I pressed the inner patch down with a roller, snipped off the excess on the outside, installed and inflated the tire. Now I'm watching the bubbles....lots of bubbles. What did I do wrong? :confused:

#17 ·
#22 ·
Good prep is the key. It doesn't take much to stop air. I "mostly" use Tip-Top bicycle patches. I scuff up the area to be patched with some coarse sandpaper in a cross hatch pattern. After that I clean it off with a little gas. Let the cement dry well before applying patch and "stitching" it down to insure it sticks well.

The nice part about the Tip-Top patches is they come in a cool little plastic box that contains everything you need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.