Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Tires ?

5K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  MaverickAus 
#1 ·
I was getting ready for a trip and discovered that the rear (OEM) tire was at the wear bars at a mere 5,000 miles.

The next thing that I discovered is that there is a LOT of selection in this tire size.

I want a relatively sticky tire and must be good in the rain.

Anyone?

#3 ·
What came stock on yours? I got Bridgestone something 30s. Got 5100 miles on the bike now and I think the rear will be to the wear bars by 5500, though I could probably nurse them to 6k miles.

Tire wear varies so much by bike, riding style, time of year, area etc, that it's hard to compare people's experiences. I do know I just bought a pair of Conti Motions for $156 at Competition Accessories. At that price, I'll be happy if they last 3k miles, but supposedly they last longer than most ST tires. Had a pair on my FJR before I traded it in and the rear had 6k+ on it and it was showng threads when I left it off. Front tire didn't last as long as I changed it later and it too was looking pretty rough. FJR was horrible on front tires. The front on my Versys looks great at 5100 miles. I could see getting 8-10k miles out of it.

#9 ·
First set of PR3's i got over 10,000 miles they still had more to give but i don't take chances with tires. Second set of PR3's on the V i had over 7000 miles on them when i sold the bike they were in great shape. Were great in city,canyons,freeway and worked fantastic in the rain..I'm now on my second set of PR4-GT's on my FJR....

#13 · (Edited)
I want a relatively sticky tire and must be good in the rain.

Michelin Pilot Road 4
Probably the best sport-touring tire for the rain.
Sticks very well on the dry as well. I've took it to the track, done some long-range touring, commuted in the city, rode in torrential downpours, in temperatures ranging from 0 to 35 centigrade (32-95F). The only thing they're not very good for is off road riding. If you ride on tarmac, they're absolutely fantastic in virtually all road conditions.
I've put it on after having the stock Dunlop Roadsmart II for 4500 km and hating how they performed in anything but perfect road conditions. When I took them off, the thread was nearly gone already (the tire shop refused to buy them off from me). I've made another 7500 kms on PR4s and they look great, still plenty of life left.

On my previous bike (Honda CBF 600) I've done 10 000 kms on PR4s and they looked like new when I sold it. When it's time to replace them (and it won't be for the next few thousand kms), I'm buying a next set.

#14 · (Edited)
I'm trying to decide what I want to put on before a 6,000 mile ride this fall. My current set are PR3's and they have been good (for the little comparison experience I have) but I don't think they will make it through the whole trip so I'm probably going to throw away a little good rubber and swap them out before I leave.

A friend of mine suggested Jake Wilson as the best price online. This is what I found

120/70-17 58W front and 160/60-17 69W rear

-Michelin PR4 set was $299 (-They didn't have the rear PR3)
-Bridgestone T30 set was $229 (CORRECTION - THESE ARE THE UPGRADED T30 EVO)
-Pirelli Angel GT set was $259

I thought there was a Bridgestone rebate going on too, but I need to check into that.

Mitch

#15 ·
I hated my stock tires as far as traction goes. After 2K miles I put on Dunlop Roadsmart II. They have lots of grip, even when wet. After 2100 miles, the rear has lost 2/32", it came with 9/32". I run them 36PSI front, 40 rear.

Had I not heard more than one complaint about PR4 front cupping, I would have bought those. Plus the Roadsmarts were $204 for the pair after a rebate earlier this spring.

#16 ·
It's worth noting that the OEM Roadsmart IIs are, as far as I know, not the same thing you get if you buy them separately. The factory-installed ones are cheaper, single-compound tyres. I only have experience with the OEM ones and I never want to ride a bike on them again.

I think it might be universal that the stock tyres, whatever they might be, are cheap garbage and anything you replace them with will be an improvement. Even if they share a name with an otherwise respected model.

#22 ·
Won't go wrong with PR4's excellent. Saddlebag your Bridgestones are T30's fairly new tyre I was impressed wit the grip when I test rode the V1K.
They are fine. To tell ya the truth, I haven't had much to complain about most modern tires. It does bug me that my 800 lb cruiser could get 10k+ miles out of its tires and sport tourers only get ~6k miles. And I could get along a twisty road just fine on the cruiser.

I just bought the Contis as they were unbelievably inexpensive...and I'm cheap!

#24 ·
I just ordered T30 EVOs from Jake Wilson. Cost for the set was $229 with free shipping.

Phone ordered and the lady was VERY nice. Bridgestone also has a $50 rebate going through the end of July. That will bring total price to $179.

I'll have them put on the week before I leave on my September trip and hopefully I can give a 5k+ mile report when I get home.

Mitch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.