Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

SW Motech Crash Bar Install Issue

6K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Massacres 
#1 · (Edited)
Update - resolved...SW Motech Crash Bar Install Issue

Added a post to update on this issue...
Left the info below for reference.
I have read the install and other "issue" thread on the installation of the bars. I ran into a problem this morning and wondering if any others have come across this...

2014 Versys with 500 miles
Installing the left side bar, with both bolts in place, the upper frame mount using the u-bolt is too low (about 1/2" or 12.7mm).

These bars are stout and although I can "lift" the bar a little, I can not get the u-bolt into both holes on the bar.

I could put a jack under the upper mount and force it but am concerned with introducing unwanted stress between the frame and engine mounts. Right side lines up...These may have to go back:cool:

Pics of issue. Appreciate any feedback

Last pic showing bolt holes lined up and how the left side does not match. (this assumes: front mounts are symmetrical as well as L/R frame)

See less See more
#13 ·
I put a climbing strap around the u-bolt bar and had my 19-year-old pull up...could not get this one to fit. I considered a car jack but 1) didn't want to bend the bar and 2) didn't want that stress on the motor/frame...

I understand a little wiggle room, I am an aerospace engineer...but not .5" on something that won't yeild...these bars are nice...stout and look pretty good also.

New set on the way, I'll report back.

#14 ·
Live my Givi Crash Bars

Really like my Givi Crash Bars. Only "used" them once on a low speed gravel drop but they did their job just fine. I think they look fantastic too. Especially with the SW Mototech skid plate. Just had to go get some extra spacers from Ace to mix and match. You can take the ones back you don't use. Think I paid and extra $12 in spacers to make it work.

The Givi's do not have the cross bar in front. I know that may affect others opinion of durability.

#15 ·
Received the new set of bars last night from Twisted Throttle...took them quite a while to do all of the paperwork and reshipping...oh well.

Installed in under 30 minutes...had to slightly lift the left side to get the u-bolt on but no issues. On my 2014, I didn't have to remove any plastics...on the left side only, remove two of the three small hex-head screws, loosen the third, and the lower gray plastic swivels just enought to use the sockets on the upper, forward engine mount...

Really easy install. I did add a layer of rubber under each upper plastic frame sleeve. Went for an obligatory ride...project complete.

#20 ·
Had same problem on installing mine today, took some coercing but finally got left side U bolts on. I thought i may have to return, but worked at it and got the u bolt in.. I also painted exposed stainless bolts and ubolt with some flat black paint. They were bothering me. Did the innertube rubber under the plastic pieces as well. Came out great..

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.