Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Hesitation / popping at low RPMs

7K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  chadams66 
#1 ·
Have a 2008 with a Two-brothers slip on, and i've noticed that if i'm low in the RPMs (usually, it can do it a little higher), it pops. Sometimes if i'm slowing down for a corner, it will hestitate then surge forward with the same gurgly pop.

Sort of feels like it's getting flooded and then suddenly correcting, or like it's "switching". I've felt carbed bikes sorta like this, but EFI is a whole new ballpark for me.

Any suggestions where I should start?

#3 ·
ya as i was saying thats part of fuel injection plus you are running a higher flowing can then the ecu is "tuned" for. pops are air getting into the exhaust causing the left over fuel vapor to combust. if you can ,try to get a video of it acting up

#9 ·
I've been contributing to the "Playing with Power Commander V and Autotune200" thread, regarding this same basic issue.

Trying to maintain steady throttle between 3-4k rpm results in surging and intake popping. I had the airbox off this weekend (TB syncing) and noticed this intake popping/hesitation.

#15 ·
I'm in an identical situation to the OP.

Just got an 08 with a Two Bros exhaust, pops (and has backfired) in deceleration.

Changed oil and filter last week and plan on fitting new plugs and air filter in next week to see if it helps.

Over 4k revs she is good, under, not so much.

#24 · (Edited)
As I posted in another thread this bike benefits from the occasional tune up as prescribed in the service manual. As a first step to eliminate the more likely issues, I would give the bike a tune up. Clean the air filter, new properly gapped plugs with (dielectric grease), do the valve adjust if it remotely close to due, and finally a throttle body sync. Plug replacement is almost as frequent as oil changes for this bike in the service manual seems to make a real difference in my experience even when they are not fouled or look worn. Not sure why. I would definitely do this to obtain a baseline before messing around with things like the TPS sensor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.