Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

installing gear indicator

22K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  Squishman 
#1 ·
Are there any tricks to installing the gear indicator? Hopefully it is pretty much cut and dried. I bought one today from Partzilla for $162. I will also install a power outlet at the same time using Motojunkie's awesome instructions.
I already have the relay for the OEM fog lights installed.

#3 ·
Very easy. Just place the indicator where you want it, run the wire under the seat and plug in.

#9 ·
I broke down and bought the OEM gear indicator as well... My last two bikes had it built into the instrument panel, and I *can't* believe how much I miss it on the V... Got the relay as well...
According to the install you have to pull everything out of the front panel (including the instrument meter), as opposed to just the front cowl and windshield, as you do for the relay... Is that not the case?

#10 ·
Windshield and front cowl is it! Lame that they say you have to take apart more. I used an offset no. 2 Phillips screwdriver to remove the plug, but you may be able to get it out with a stubby no 2. Certainly no need to take apart more. The relay too is right there if you've seen Motojunkie's photos.

#14 ·
Installed the relay and gear indicator this weekend. Nice and bright, and looks like it belongs there...
The only wonky thing is the delay when you change gears, and it goes "--" when you clutch (both of which are not an issue with an integrated-in-the-panel gear indicator). Otherwise, it's great.

#18 · (Edited)
Wow, that does look like it's an attention getter! GEAR 1! GEAR 2! GEAR 3! GEAR 4! NO, GEAR 3! GEAR 2!...

My only concern would be that it is a distraction from driving, but it does look great! Good clean wiring job.

I never count my gears since you have to fish for neutral anyway and what ever pulls you is the right gear to be in. I just don't have the excess mental capacity to keep me safe with cars all around me and look at my gear count too :( or an extra $162.

#20 · (Edited)
Yes, I guess so, but I just don't like peripheral mental processes introduced into my driving time activities. I want to make the right side console something I'll use a little more productively (instead of maybe causing me to wreck looking at it when I can feel the gears with throttle and toe.) It's precious real estate.

Maybe I could move my cigarette lighter from the handlebar clamp to the right side and clean the bars up, or a compass maybe. Whatever it is, I'd prefer not to introduce it into my driving requirements by looking at the corners of my dash all the time, which DEFINITELY increases the probability of an accident caused by it. It is attention getting and hard to ignore I'd suspect when you are driving. I'm either going or stopping, and I'd rather not starting thinking about 6 gears while I'm driving!

I'll probably just put the SAE Battery Tender connector and cigarette lighter too on the right side for practicality and convenience.

OR maybe a 6th gear LIGHT (anywhere)?? Now that's the Human Factors Engineering ticket! Where is OneWizard at???

#21 · (Edited)
I typically know what gear I'm in at at about 5k revs if I check the speedo. However, doing that mental math is something I wanted to get *away* from. Just glancing at the indicator so I know how far to downshift, if I'm already clutched, especially in a hot corner, is a big help. No more fishing, or downshifting to 1, just to upshift to 2 for engine braking... It simply reduces overshifting, and no need any longer to check the tach or speedo to figure my gear....
For me, it's *less* of a distraction now... (and worth every penny of the $162 PLUS the cost of the <necessary> relay).
The wiring is clean because it's OEM Kawi, and plugs right into an unused accessory harness under the front cowl. The symmetrical knockout on the left is for a power port (which also relies on the relay).

http://www.kawasaki.com/Accessories/Item/KLE650FFFA/999940485

#22 · (Edited)
I do admit a TOP GEAR indicator would be useful ONLY (imo.)

But looking around for the last 20 years there are 1 or 2 main brands that work the same way by plugging into the ecu modules. MY FAIL SAFE test is to look on Amazon and look at the ONE STAR reviews. There is NO more than 2 reviews on ANY gear indicator for ANY bike. And the ebay vendors who sell them show no favorable comments on gear indicators and it's the ONLY unfavorable comments they receive, lol. Older forums say ecu gear indicators are flaky in concept yielding constant errors due to the logic of the controller. Previous owners say they are totally unreliable and won't even consider ecu gear indicators: no matter how easy they are to install :)

Good Wruck on those. When I see a top gear indicator (only) with more than 30 random reviews greater than 95% favorable, then I'll consider it. Who wouldn't want to stop fishing for 7th gear? It will take more than a poster every half decade to convince me though.

#23 ·
The delay on the gear display is that the ECU calculates the gear. Most other bikes have a gear/resistor system. That way it quickly gives you the gear. The ECU takes about 2 seconds to figure the gear. The unit I made cost way less than $165. But the drawback is it does not look factory. And it gives water temp(from ECU), outside air temp (sensor) and voltage.

#24 ·
There is a delay, but less than 2 seconds. More like 1 second or less than that. Unless you are using the clutch for much longer than needed, than I suppose the delay is longer. It is a great farkle and useful all through the gears, not just to see if you are in 6th. I wish it was LCD to match the main display and not LED though.

#26 ·
gear indicator

I know this is an old thread but after reading it I need to agree wholeheartedly with Squishman. I get the idea of wanting to know if I'm in 6th gear but my main reason to have an indicator is knowing what gear I'm in before entering a 90 degree turn. I did one of these turns on my KLR a few years ago. Thinking I was in 3rd downshifting into 2nd, I was actually in 2nd and I downshifted into 1st. The rear wheel locked up for a second and I was thrown forward since I wasn't expecting that much engine braking. Ever since then I've wanted a gear indicator and will get one for my V1000 when I have the cash. BTW, It's my money I want to spend on a farkle. If that pisses you off, it sucks to be you.

#28 ·
** THE FREE SECRET GEAR INDICATOR **
for shifting into 7th gear

Just remember:

5....6.....7.....(x k rpm's)
7.....8.....9....(x 10 mph's)

or

5k....6k...7k....rpms in 6th gear
70....80...90...mph approx. in 6th gear

You are done! More reliable than the flaky gear indicators with lag you have to stare at. :yeahsmile:

#36 ·
I have had about 18 (20 if you count 2 dirt bikes) motorcycles. Only one (Nightwawk 650 in the early 90's) had a gear indicator. This is just me, but ever since that bike I always searched for another gear on the freeway. Always. Now I do not do that anymore. I love my gear indicator. For me it is one awesome farkle!
I know you some of you guys say, "just look at your tach and your speed, then you'll know". Well. ok. You can do that. I just look at my gear indicator.

#37 ·
I hear you. It's not a bad option, but with a lot of electronic options already including 2 big drainers, high output double horn and heated grip elements (as well as riding with bright lights all the time), I'm almost one option too many now. I want to keep those, so I'm done and just nursing along with what I don't have. The knapsack Operations Research loading method is to load everything you can, until the sack starts splitting :)

But I did some web research and they don't have the best following from past users: as well they all seemed to have the same accuracy/delay flaws hooked to the central electronic system. But you can get used to anything. I'm fine with anything on any bike model. When I critique something on line, it makes me think deeper and analyze the situation better for my situation.

Whatever makes you happy! Peace.

#38 ·
I am sure many of us ride by feel, if you need another notch up just kick it up one - to each their own but I have not had a bike that had one so I do not miss it. The 2015 V650 variant available here in Malaysia comes stock bog standard plain vanilla flavour i.e. no ABS, no gear indicator and definitely not even a waterproof 12V output.

All available aftermarket though and there are heaps out there.

#39 ·
Just installed my Kawi gear indicator and I quite like it. Its a just a little added information to know whats going on.

Just like adding voltage gauge or any other farkle for that matter, if you like and/or think its necessary... it's your bike! If it were about just feeling the motorcycle, we'd all be riding a Honda Ruckus!

One quick note, do not follow Kawi's install instructions. Just pull off the cluster cowling above the headlights. Two bolts, two plastic thumb rivets and you're in. Its WAAAAAAY easier and faster. Oh and don't forget the damn Acc. Power relay (that I did) you need to install.

#41 ·
Thx Kawdog!
Actually, the accuracy and delay are a misnomer. The daley is so brief, no one should care. 1/2 to one second. And as far as accuracy: if you are in second and think you are in first and take off from a light, it may briefly.... VERY briefly... read "1", but corrects itself about as fast as you might have even noticed it said "1".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.