Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Knocking sound on 2015

4K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Wakasaki 
#1 ·
Hi.
I have new V 650 2015 with only 3000km on it and it is making a knocking sound, like the engine is not mounted properly and is loose.

I thought there was an issue with it but I came to a conclusion that the sound is actually coming from the front fairing.

Two dealers told me it was normal. I was able to ride another V and it had the same issue, mine is just a bit louder and drives me crazy.

Here is a bad recording that I have made(you can also hear my dash buzzing in there too :D): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39c4PsTB96g

I think it can be best heard from 59 second. To check this on your bike ride slowly in second gear between 3k and 4k revs(do not rev your bike standing still, you won' be able to hear it, you have to ride).

Anyway, I just wanted to know if somebody was able to pinpoint the exact source of this yet. I will be stripping down the fairing today and try to find out but I don't have a garage so it will be a bit hard.

See less See more
#5 ·
King - I'm ok with the dashboard. I know I will be able to fix it. It is the other sound that I'm talking about. Listen to that 59 sec. mark with headphones. What you hear is NOT the engine nor the exhaust, it is that 'knocking' sound from the fairing(presumably) that I have the issue with.

Initially I though it were those new engine rubber mounts but I hope it is just the fairing.

#7 ·
As I'@e said in my first post, I heard this on another V with 4000km on it so I think it is fairly safe to assume all 2015 650 Vs do have this. The question is what it is and how to get rid of it.

Also, on the recording, it is not that loud, but when I'm riding I hear it all the time.

#9 ·
It's hard to say from the audio what's going on. It sounds like you're pretty convinced it's the fairings. If I were you I would simply strip down the front fairings. Perhaps something got taped loosely into the fairing. Perhaps the heated grips accessory outlet on the front left is vibrating on the inside of the fairing. Take em off- I bet you'll find the answer. :thumb: The fairings aren't too bad at all to remove, btw.

#10 ·
Didn't you get a warranty for your 2015?

I had a brand new 1997 BMW F650 St that was using about a third quart of oil every 50 miles. I filled it up carrying oil for 2000 miles. THEN I brought to dealer and said FIX IT! The gd thing was made in Austria with no piston rings installed. They replaced the whole top end, although I thought the bottom end would be screwed with filings too.

Go work out, get pissed off, and bring it in on a truck during a Saturday when they have lots of customers, and tell them to FIX IT! Lol, dealers are $hits and won't do anything if they can because the oem screws them in warranty labor credit. You may need one mechanic to come with you that hears it to stiffle their bs delay-you-until-out-of-warranty game. I feel your pain.

You really need your own mechanic anyway. Good ones for good rates are hard as hell to find (good ones are hard to find period), but I'd start asking around. Good mechanics can work with an oem better than the dealer if the dealer is too sorry to. They can get action one way or another, plus you may find a good one too. The busiest motorcycle labor shop in the county is a good place to start (not a dealer if possible - high rates and MMI minimum wage mechanics often.)

#11 ·
Unfortunately I have rode another Versys 2015 650 and it has the same sound. Mine is just louder ocmpared to that particular one but that doesn' matter since it looks like all 2015 Versyses have this and apparently it is normal. Which may be the case, but it drives me crazy nonetheless.

#13 ·
It's not the side panels. They are rock solid on 2015. I already removed them once. There is no issue with them. also this sound is not buzzing. It sounds like the engine is not balanced or mounted properly. I am not saying it is! That's just how I would describe the sound the best. It copies the revs exactly.

#14 ·
Hard to tell just listening to the recording. Wind noise from the windshield can do funny things. I'm lucky I have no cowling buzz just the normal Versys noise but I wear earplugs on any bike so it's a non issue.

#15 · (Edited)
Are you sure it isn't main bearings?

If Kawasaki can't diagnose it, find someone who can and send Kawasaki the bill after you do find something. If you did find something, then they owe you the bill paid, in time of course.

Hopefully, you have in WRITING where the 2 Kawasaki dealers said it was normal noises. Verbal is nothing and it never happened. If you go back again, have them note that they looked at it and the date when. Get your ducks in a row: you are dealing oem dealers and oem musical chairs - they are pretty cheesy.

You are not going to get anything on a forum though. First you need a professional mechanic. And once you find something, oem knows they will also have to foot the lawyers bill if they are wrong. O/w, you are just amusement for the dealers past time. They are not going to give you ANYTHING because they owe you. You are going to have to MAKE them give it to you. 1. a mechanic will show they are wrong. 2. a lawyer gets respect real quick (good hungry lawyers are around - try Persian lawyers, they kick a$$.) If you don't have enough for the mechanic, tough luck: start your mechanical learning curve on a new bike (that already has a warranty.)

#16 ·
Hey Kawog, I like your enthusiasm. I bought mine directly at the importer. The mechanic rode it for 20 minutes, which is fair, and I was told everything is ok. Then I went to another dealer and they told me the same. I will wait until my 6000km service and I will go to a third dealer that is supposed to be the largest motorcycle dealer in the country for multiple brands and will see what they will have to say about it.

Anyway, what concerns me is that the same sound was present on another V that I have rode. So the sound can really be "normal" and I get that. But to me that is just unacceptable.

I posted this in here to find out if someone else has already experienced this and maybe found the source and solution. Agian, the sound was present on another V with 4000km on so I am fairly sure it is common thing for 2015 model.

#17 ·
Ask Fasteddie. He is an expert with 100k miles of Vs. 650 1st gen's with a new 2015. He said they are virtually the same except the new one is more cushioned. From his experience, he is the number one 2015 expert and has taken his 2015 half apart already putting his options on it. Whatever he says, you can probably take it to the bank if it is not uniquely different from his 2015.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.