Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Broken clutch cable

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  andrewhtf 
#1 ·
My clutch cable broke with only 12500km on bike. Is this normal? Just a helpfull hint installing this; start with the clutch end and not the lever end. Removal is in reverse order. Wasted time figuring this out.

#2 ·
I replaced mine at 47,500 kms. I did it as a "just in case" before heading out on the big Colorado Tour. Upon closer inspection of the old cable, I could find no wear or signs of any damage. I do shoot some lube on the lever end from time to time but I'm certain I never really lubed it according to any correct standards.

#4 · (Edited)
On my '10 the cable broke with only 5,000 miles on the clock or so, and it broke on the engine side of the cable, and from what I've found here, that is not too common.

I usually lube the cable at least on every service and every now and then I'll put in a few drops of oil. I'm at 42Kms and there is no noticeable wear on the cable but it looks pretty dirty, and when I lube it with one of those cable lube things and a can of lube, dirty oil comes out. Next time I'm going to try cleaning it with carb cleaner before the cable lube.

#5 ·
My clutch cable broke with only 12500km on bike. Is this normal?....
On my '10 the cable broke with only 5,000 miles on the clock or so, and it broke on the engine side of the cable, and from what I've found here, that is not too common....
For both of you: the bikes come from Kawasaki w/ the clutch adjusted so that the "friction-point" is quite far from the handle-bars (ie - the dis-engage/ engage point) is JUST as you start to move the clutch lever. Think this through - any MORE squeeze on the lever is STRETCHING the cable, leading to breakage.

Does that sound familiar on your bikes?

I have ALWAYS adjusted my cables (and friends' cables, Vs and KLRs) to where the 'dis-engage/ engage point' is closer to the bars, and in fact helped a new Versys owner do the same on his 2015 650LT yesterday.

BTW- I drip some WD40 down the cable from the lever-end, regularly, and then put some grease around the 'barrel'.

:goodidea:

#10 ·
Before my cross country a couple of years ago I purchased a new clutch cable and pre-routed it along my original and regularly lubricated cable which had about 5k miles on it by that time. I sealed both ends of the spare clutch cable with plastic bag and duct tape. I figured if my cable broke I'd be miles ahead by just having to disconnect one cable and hooking up the spare. 21k miles on my original cable now and still prepared for the worst.

#11 ·
apart from regularly lubing the cable (and grease the part where the cable end meets that metal)

i add a rubber cover on top of it for further protection. 73k kms and i am still on the original cable.

#15 ·
as stated by silvie above, just search for "clutch lever rubber cover" or "clutch lever dust cover" and you would be presented with a few choices. most popular among older dirtbikes.

#12 ·
As already stated- grease the barrel at the lever. That is where they always break. No need to disassemble every time. I take mine off once a year, drip some 3-in-1 oil down the cable, clean off old grease then re-grease and assemble. A few times each season I shoot some chain lube into the barrel, usually when it starts to feel less smooth. Those cables can last a long time but some attention is required.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.