Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

New Rear Rack Option

130K views 302 replies 132 participants last post by  gustin18 
#1 ·
I wanted to get some honest feedback on this rear rack. I am an engineer and designed the rack. It is very heavy duty and strong and will support as much weight as the subframe can bear. Made from 3/16 and 1/4 steel. The rear plate is about 10 x 7 Inches. Powder coat finish. This will mount up in 10 minutes. Let me know your thoughts as far as looks and what you would pay for this. Any and all feedback is welcome. :)

See less See more
#57 ·
Sweeeeet :thumb::thumb:

#59 ·
Hand grips remind me of my favorite lock-blade...Very nice touch.
Clean and purposeful...Just like the Versys.

#62 ·
KTMDUALS

Since I only ride solo I put my tail-bag on the pillion and I’m fine with that, however, that is such a well designed and beautifully implemented piece of work that I would really like to see what you could do in the way of soft-saddlebag supports.

#63 ·
What I would like to see (and buy) is a rear rack that comes on top of the passenger seat, not behind it. I don't have the passenger pegs anymore so I'm never going to have anyone else sitting in there - hence having the rear case in a more forward position would rock.

And yes, I'd buy one of those.

#64 ·
On my Ninja, I had a setup where I could lock my Givi box on top of the passenger seat position. It was nice and compact and looked good on the bike. BUT it was a real trick throwing my leg over. And that was a low small bike. I'm sure I'd never be able to get on the Versys with a set up like that.

#67 ·
Got mine this week. Very nice product, perfect fit, super strong. Going to try and get some paint on it this weekend. I have some left over auto enamel from painting the bike. Not quite as hard as powdercoating, but won't chip either.

Going to order a Seahorse case for a topbox - the SE-540. Will make for a great backrest for wifey.

$35 here:
http://www.fuertecases.com/Merchant...Code=Seahorse-Hurricane-Cases&Product_Count=4

#89 ·
Chris,

I checked out the Seahorse website for this box and it mentions the mounting bosses located in the bottom of the case. Since they recommend using 1/4" self tapping screws, I guess that means there aren't threaded inserts in the bosses to put the screws in.

Are you concerned about the case being mounted only with self tapping screws? I'd be a little worried about the screws threading into just the plastic bosses. Any feedback on how secure it is?

Thanks.

#72 ·
I have the Happy Trail SU rack system. It does not use the passenger hand-hold mounting points. That is one the main reasons I selected it, the other is that it does not attach to the rear fender (I don't have one!). Sam's custom rack replaces the passenger handholds and uses those mounting points. Very precise fit BTW.

The SWM rack also uses one of those handhold mounting points, so I'm not sure how they would share that bolt. It could be they could mount there together with a longer bolt, one would have to test fit everything on there. Or it may be that a custom bracket could be bolted to Sam's rack and then attach other rack systems. He really needs to address that situation as the Givi (& kawi accy), SWM, and HB rack systems use the hand-hold mounting points as His top rack does.

Sam...you there?????

#75 ·
I would be willing to send one of my racks to someone to try with the SWM, Givi or Kawasaki side racks. I can design a modification if needed but I don't have any of the side racks mentioned above and am not planning on buying them. If someone who has one of these side racks wants to step in and try my rear rack together, I would be willing to work something out with them. I would be willing to sell at half price or accept a return or whatever. I am open to ideas here.

#81 ·
Absolutely a stunner, you might want to incorporate some leather trim on the side rails for a different look. I was watching "How It's Made" and they featured the McCall saddle Company and how they made the western saddle, right there in Utah.

Right now I am looking for a new saddle that won't be that expensive but made from saddle leather, this company does the "whole 9 yards". I am wondering if a company would use the western philosophy for building saddles for motorcycles the way that company does.

The Versys lacks a comparable seat from the plastic base plate to the uncomfortable vinyl that covers the seat. A good seat should start from a molded piece of oak covered in tin where you can build from so the base will hold its shape. The saddle company uses 4 layers of leather for their saddles and I know the prices are near $2,500 but you get a 5 year warranty, a motorcycle seat does not have to be as expensive but a leather edition from the west sure would catch my attention.

Very nice rack, I own the Givi version and have had to replace some parts in the 2 years that I have owned it. Very "Big Ups" for the "less equals more philosophy", there are no parts to replace, wow.

#82 ·
I test fit ktmduals rack with various side racks. Here is the message I sent to him. I will post pictures when I get a chance.

I got to try your rack with the SW Motech EVO racks, and the Kawasaki racks.

First SW Motech.

It fits fine. You basically just substitute the grab handles in the instructions with your rack. There are some things you need to do to make the seat latch however. First you need to place a washer or two (depending on thickness betweent the latch on the seat, and the seat pan. Just remove the one 10mm nut pull off the latch put a washer or two under there, and tighten it back up. Once you do this you realize the seat contact points aren't hitting where they should and the seat is wobbly. To remedy this I would recommend including about 6" of rubber strip (Mcmaster-Carr #8997K511 or similar) for the customer to place on either the seat or the frame. It would only add about $2.40 to each part. This would give enough to also put on the bottom of the seat where the rear grab handle bolts could rub and cut the seat cover.

The Kawasaki rack will not work, because it has integrated grab handles which interfere with your rack. The only way to make it work would be to cut the grab handles off the Kawi rack, and follow the same steps as the SW Motech rack to make it latch.

#83 ·
I love mine. Using it with the HT racks. Have now mounted a matching case as a top-box. I like the top case so much I'm leaving it on when the side cases are removed. It's about the same width as the pannier racks.

#85 ·
It's KTMDUAL'S rack, topic of the thread. See previous posts for pics before the topbox mounting.

He makes a really nice product. I think I got the first one, raw steel, painted it myself and mounted it up. Fits PERFECT! :clap: