Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

New Rear Rack Option

130K views 302 replies 132 participants last post by  gustin18 
#1 ·
I wanted to get some honest feedback on this rear rack. I am an engineer and designed the rack. It is very heavy duty and strong and will support as much weight as the subframe can bear. Made from 3/16 and 1/4 steel. The rear plate is about 10 x 7 Inches. Powder coat finish. This will mount up in 10 minutes. Let me know your thoughts as far as looks and what you would pay for this. Any and all feedback is welcome. :)

See less See more
#27 ·
maybe make a couple pieces of 1/4" plastic that could sandwich the grab bar areas. Route the edges to make them feel nice in the hands, and and bolt through the holes you already have there.. That would give a more substantial grab bar, and for the people that don't want or need such a feature, they dont have to install them.

Nice product though.

#29 · (Edited)
Damn, wish the V would have come stock with something like this. I agree with stagehand fits the bike nicly. My Honda Trans-Alp had a real nice rack stock. Again nice job. ktmduals wants to know what we would pay for this? I'm on a low budget so I don't want to say but am eager to find out how much myself. I would like one of these and sounds like its easy to install and remove in like 10 minutes.:thumb:

Donn

#33 ·
Now that is a stylish rack. A couple of comments.

1. Steel is good, in case of a fall or a mishap if it bends or something it can be brought back to shape. Can't do that with aluminum. Besides need to keep an eye on cost.
2. The rack is replacing the grab handles. Need to figure out how to keep the handles "grabable". Flat metal and sqare edges are not hand friendly.

I see it will not fit the oem side racks. I wonder how many Versys owners are looking for an affordable rear rack that fit the oem side racks. There might be a market for such a thing.

#34 ·
I'm glad you are working on this so I can put it out of my mind. The Center Stand has taken up all my time for almost two years and is now into production.

Congratulations for a good looking rack and I hope you sell a million of them. Are there that many Versys?

#36 ·
I'm thinking one could bolt the handles to the holes in the side pieces...covers up the holes and adds handles.
Great job and Welcome aboard!!!!

#37 ·
The handrails seem to be the biggest concern, I am looking into some possible solutions to make it more "grab" friendly. I am making one out of aluminum for test purposes right now. Should weigh in at a meager 3 lbs. The rear plate will be changed to allow for the SMW rear adapter plate to mount to it. I could easily make different sizes of plates and different mounting options. Perhaps a bigger rear plate would be desired for some. The holes will stay in the handrails since they reduce weight and I personally like them. Plus, I always find myself needing more tie down points. I think I can get the cost down to 165 for the aluminum set up. That is not much more then the SMW rear rack that is made of steel. I think skid plates are next for me on the Versys. I haven't found one that really appeals to me yet. Thanks again to the Versys community for chiming in. :thanx:

#38 ·
I think it looks good. I like the 'spacey' styling.

My concern is the large holes in the main plate. They limit what can be mounted on it. I'd go for more but smaller holes, or in place of holes a pattern of X shapes that allow lots of configurations for different gear. My top box bottom plate had to have its own holes drilled into the Kawasaki rack because there was not enough possibilities.

#42 ·
Pricing

Just a quick update, I can sell the steel version for 110 dollars and the Aluminum for 155 dollars. This is the price for it bare, non powder coated. You could paint it yourself or take it to your own powder coating shop yourself. Powder coating would cost an additional 30 dollars to the price listed above if you want me to do it before shipping. I am working on some plastic covers for the handles, for those who want them. I will be posting pictures of the handle covers soon.

#43 ·
Just a quick update, I can sell the steel version for 110 dollars and the Aluminum for 155 dollars. This is the price for it bare, non powder coated. You could paint it yourself or take it to your own powder coating shop yourself. Powder coating would cost an additional 30 dollars to the price listed above if you want me to do it before shipping. I am working on some plastic covers for the handles, for those who want them. I will be posting pictures of the handle covers soon.
I will take a steel one and paint it. With grip covers. Are you including shipping? Do you have a paypal setup? What is lead time?

Thanks!!

#51 ·
Very nice in general!. I just bought a sw motech and sure wish it was aluminum. It should have hole pattern for the KAW/Givi top trunk mount plate too. I could give you those #'s if intersted. A little concerned with the sharpness thing. I think you'd do best if it WAS aluminum.

#53 ·
I am interested in the rack too. I don't have the Versys with me, but I seem to recall that when I mounted the racks for the E21's, part of the mount went under the mounting points for the grab handles? Anyone have their bike handy to see if that was the case?

If so, I would want to be sure it would mount OK once the grab handles were removed, maybe just needing longer bolts. If works, i am in too.

Great design as I have been looking for something like this. :thumb:

David

#55 · (Edited)
Ok, so I have done some more work on the rear rack. Pictured below is the aluminum version. I have also made handles that can be removed quickly when desired. The plastic handles cover the holes when mounted or can be removed for using the holes in the frame for attachment pointes. The total weight, with the handles, is under 2.5 lbs. It is very light. The plastic hand grips are held on by two stainless screws. There is a plastic cover for each side. The opposing side has a brass insert pressed into the plastic. Therefore, nothing will rust. The aluminum rack, just as pictured-with handle covers, I can sell for 165. It is 190 for powder coating to any color choice. The steel version, powder coated and with the handles will be 155 total. The steel version is just over 6 lbs. The steel version price is exactly in line with the other brands. There versions are steel tube designs. Thanks for all the great ideas.