Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Little Help with a Lake Superior Circle Tour Please

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Slow-Steady 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

I'm starting to plan ahead for a Lake Superior Circle Tour for early next summer, maybe June. It is going to be a small group (6-8, with 2 being Trikes) and myself being the least experienced rider. I just started riding this summer and have about 3,000 miles on. Everyone else is 5+ year riders, some well over 25 and and age range of 25 to 75.

I'm just starting to plan the route and I'm looking for a little insight from others who have done it, or live along the route.

It will be a 4 day trip, starting and ending in Ashland, WI.

Day 1:
329 Miles from Ashland, WI to Nipigon, ON with some time spent in Thunder Bay.

Day 2:
367 Miles from Nipigon, ON to Sault Ste. Marie, MI.

Day 3:
310 Miles from Sault Ste. Marie to L'Anse, MI with a detour taking 77 north to Grand Maris and Co. Rd 58 back down to Munising along the way. I rode 58 this year and it is a fun road to ride, definitely don't want to miss it.

Day 4:
280 Miles from L'Anse back to Ashland, WI with a trip up and back the Keweenaw Peninsula.

I have checked and there are hotels in all the towns listed. It is a fairly even breakdown of the miles over the four days with the second say being a little bit of a turn and burn compared to the others.

My next step is to see who is going and the fuel range of their bikes so I can plan wayside / scenic overlook stops and gas stops.

I am also going to make a checklist of things for everyone to bring: Pasport, credit cards and cash, toll fees, water bottle and snacks, dark and clear glasses, .. etc.

I will have daily maps and routes printed for everyone, but I'm not sure who the group leader will be. I know I have the least experience but I think I'll be up for it and if not, I know one other group member who would do a fine job.

I don't want this to be boot camp, but I want everything to be well organized and a lot of fun.

Anything I need to know, anything I forgot or that you would changes so far?

Thanks for the help.

Mitch

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Thanks.

I think everyone in the group knows all the basic hand signals so that should help, but I will keep that in mind as I start to figure out who is going.

It shouldn't be too big of deal as I know we are going to take frequent stops for sight seeing, etc. Plus for some of the older riders to "recycle their coffee" as one of the guys says. I doubt we will be on more than and hour and a half to two hours max without a scheduled break anyway. I know it makes the trip take longer but it's a lot easier and more fun that way too which is the whole point of of the ride.

For safety sake I will also make sure that everyone has a list of cell numbers, including an emergency contact for each rider. I don't plan on anything happening but better safe than sorry.

Mitch

#4 ·
I thought I would give an update for those interested.

I've talked to a few of the people I thought would be interested and it seems like most are. Now we just need to plan a date.

Checking the weather it looks like any time form mid June to about the end of August would be good.

I have decided to make it a 5 day trip. I'm keeping the same 4 day plan listed above, just adding in a rain or repairs day.

Initial thoughts are Wed. June 19 to Sun. June 23. Later in the summer gets pretty busy for everyone. Average temps should be around 50 to 70 degrees and about 16 hours of daylight.

Attachments

#7 ·
Snow Snow go away, haha

Well the countdown is on, at least we in the same year now.

I just picked up a set of Ortlieb saddle bags, a Wolfman dry bag, and Wolfman Tank bag (Stopped by Aerostitch and they were getting rid of showroom models) so I should be set for the trip. Plus I picked up an AirHawk from a buddy after he got a custom saddle.

I just need to build a set of stand offs for the saddle bags and order a rear rack, but I think I just need to give KTM a call.

For those interested, plans are the same as above, June 19-23.

With the group going I see half of them sticking together and the other half more a see you at the hotel tonight type which is fine by me.

Mitch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.