Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Tiger 1050 or Versys 1000

33K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  Texas 
#1 ·
I've had my 650 V since 2007. Love it, but want something with a little more power, while maintaining the same upright riding position, street oriented, low speed ease as the Versys 650.

I thought initially the Ninja 1000, but the riding position is to forward, and it can only take panniers or a topcase, not all three.

Now I'm looking close at the V1000 and Tiger 1050se. I won't consider the Vstrom 1000, as I don't want a 19" front.

Can anyone share their experiences good and bad with the above bikes, and how they would pick as I am on the fence right now. Also....Before anyone says Multistrada...can't afford it.

#2 ·
Not to discount what you are saying, but why do you not want a 19 in front? I bought a used Tiger 955 not long ago to use while I was away from my V for a few months, and thought that a 19 would be less stable, harder to turn, and a bunch more preconceptions. However, I felt little to no difference where the wheels are concerned, however, the bike as a whole felt less stable due to the amount of weight up top with the additional fuel. I would recommend that bike to you if you are not opposed to go used. It had more than enough power, but not so much more than the V that it would be a huge jump to become accustomed to.

#7 ·
I think there is a world of difference in handling between a 19" & 17" tire. I've owned both a 650 Vstom with a 19" front wheel at the same time I have owned the Versys with the 17" front wheel. In comparison, the Vstrom had to be slowed way down to even negotiate the turns the Versys can handle at a considerable speed.

I've been riding for 50 years so that's not an amateur's statement.

#3 ·
I had my eye on the Tiger 1050 but without surgical leg extensions it's just too tall for me. I've ridden the Sprint ST with the same motor. There's something about a triple.

#4 ·
As long as you're just going street oriented I'd go ahead and consider a Kawasaki Concours 14 too. My brother & my father-in-law both have 08s that ride very smooth. Still has an upright riding position, has the ability to carry three cases easy, and is very rear passenger friendly.

#6 ·
I have ridden the 1050, it is a sweet moto. I would say it might come down to a preference, 3 cylinder or 4? The V is probably a little wider, my guess. I found the seating position and the feel of the 1050 very much like the Versys 650, only much, much faster. It's no torgue monster down low, but once the Tiger snarls, hang on.

#9 · (Edited)
#18 ·
#12 · (Edited)
I moved from a Versys to a Tiger1050 more than 2 years ago and can only tell you that there is nothing entering the market that would tempt me away. It just has so much character and grunt, so unless your decision is based on needing the latest model to hit the streets, this is probably an excellent time to pick up a really clean, low mileage Tiger1050. You won't be sorry.

#14 ·
To summarize...

If you like shaft drive and want BMW "character" and "image" and have deep pockets, get the GS.

If you want a bike that is faster, more comfortable, better 2-up and offers better value for money, get the Versys 1000.

If you like handling and want more of a sport bike feel in your adventure bike, get the Tiger.

Or wait for the Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200...I'd be waiting.

#19 · (Edited)
Bones has summed this up well, but essentially the Tiger 1200 will be a direct GS competitor, a heavy tourer with off road pretenses. A Tiger 1050 has totally different appeal, lighter, definitely more road biased and far closer to a sports tourer than an adventure bike. It is lighter and more nimble than a Versys 1000, so almost a more natural step up from a 650 Versys. You need to ride them to know, and test riding a few bikes before making a decision is half the fun. Enjoy!:thumb:

#17 ·
I'd go for a Tiger 1050. Used they're about half the price of a new Versys 1000.

You're riding a Versys 650 because you want value for money, right? :)

#24 · (Edited)
I have two Triumph dealers near my home. On long distance travel there is some concern of a reduced dealer network with Triumph. The reliability of the 1050 Triumphs, (Sprint, Tiger, Speed Triple), is very high so I am comfortable with the risk of a break down away from a dealer. My question is to those that have owned a Tiger, or had friends with the bike, looking for the negatives. So far it seems that iights, too soft suspension, and stock windscreen are the only issues. Ironically they are similar issues with the V650 from factory, minus the buzzing around the gauges that the first few years had to correct.

The two biggest negatives to the big V are price and colour choice. For the Tiger, it is a more dated but well proven design, and a smaller volume pannier set.

#26 · (Edited)
True....and you have 2200 posts, and maybe spend way too much time typing, not enough riding. Explains the chiming in without reading the thread first. Just another observation. I bought my Versys 650 in 2007, before they even made it into the USA. The discussion is V1000 or Tiger 1050. But thanks for playing.:joke:

I have two Triumph dealers near my home. On long distance travel there is some concern of a reduced dealer network with Triumph. The reliability of the 1050 Triumphs, (Sprint, Tiger, Speed Triple), is very high so I am comfortable with the risk of a break down away from a dealer. My question is to those that have owned a Tiger, or had friends with the bike, looking for the negatives. So far it seems that iights, too soft suspension, and stock windscreen are the only issues. Ironically they are similar issues with the V650 from factory, minus the buzzing around the gauges that the first few years had to correct.

The two biggest negatives to the big V are price and colour choice. For the Tiger, it is a more dated but well proven design, and a smaller volume pannier set.
:)My mistake! With 2200 posts, I am bound to screw up now and then. No offense meant. Post withdrawn. Since I sold my V last year, I post my rides on the DRZ forum now. You are right about riding more, who doesn't need that?

#29 ·
Well a nice long test ride today sealed the deal. Deposit down on a new 2011 Tiger SE ABS with 0 km.

The comments here were all pretty spot on.

Riding position is nearly identical to the Versys. Upright, relaxed, near perfect peg placement for me. I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam and can flat foot the bike with a straight leg. Wind protection with the factory shield is a little better than the Versys with a factory shield but no where near as good as with my Givi screen. They are including an extra touring screen, but I may still go after market. Hand guards are included and heated grips so it well set up for BC year round riding. The seat was very comfy for the hour I had it out.

The Tiger's triple engine is smooth, powerful, and pulls nicely up from idle with a nice linear power curve. One of the nicest motors I've experienced.

Handling is close to the Versys at low speed, but it is a little more work to turn super tight on the Tiger. The suspension is a lot more plush, and I was shocked at how nicely it kept things smooth and in control at any speed. It is a little bit heavier and you can feel it at low speeds, but the additonal power makes it a fair trade. At higher speeds I find the Tiger has the edge in handling.

Lighting is no where near as good as the Versys, but the overall appearance looks nicer. I think an after market HID may be in order to get it to match the Versys. I'll start with the PIAA bulbs I used on my Versys and see if that is enough. The Givi bags on my Versys are much roomier than the Triumph factory panniers, but they are throwing in a free top case so total luggage capacity is about equal.

The Versys has been a wonderful machine, and its been great being a member of this forum. Any lurkers who are wondering about the Versys, I loved every minute of it, but after five years I was ready for a change. In the end the dealer incentives and price of the 1050 Tiger was really too good to pass up compared to what the Versys 1000 sells for. I also just couldn't get that excited by the look of the new machine. I think the 650 is a far better looking motorcycle than the 1000.

I will likely trade in my Versys, however if anyone is interested in 2007 Burnt Orange Versys with colour match Givi V35's. H&B Engine Bars, speedy flat foot and mirror extension, two screens, and hand guards, please pm me asap. :thanx:

#30 ·
I will likely trade in my Versys, however if anyone is interested in 2007 Burnt Orange Versys with colour match Givi V35's. H&B Engine Bars, speedy flat foot and mirror extension, two screens, and hand guards, please pm me asap. :thanx:
All the best with the flash new toy, you should get a good price for a burnt orange versys as it is the best and fastest colour.:thumb:

#31 ·
I have owned but sold a 1050 after about one year. The dealer required maintenance is just too expensive for me and I do all my simple items like oil and filter. The factory luggage is absolute junk. Plan on some type of aftermarket luggage. The three cylinder motor is wonderful. I sold just before the next major maintenance was required.

For a pure street bike the 17 inch front can be better than 19 inch depending on how you ride. The 17 inch has much better selection of street tires - from track sticky to high milage sport tour and everything in between. The 17 inch profile has better cornering profile and better steering characteristics. But for 75% of street riders the 19 inch front will easily meet all their needs. Try to hang with a good rider on a GS1200 and get educated.

I now own a 1000 Vstrom with 19 inch and a 650 Versys with 17 inch. The front tire diameter is not the most important factor to consider when purchasing a new bike.

#34 ·
Came across this today......

#35 ·
Splitmind, my riding on the Versys is just like yours. It is my daily driver. For anything around town (30 mile radius), I take the Versys. I am also going on about two years of riding it. I love my Versys. My second bike is a BMW K1600GTL. It's a great bike, may bells and whistles with lots of power, but it is strictly my two-up long distance bike.

The Versys is light-weight and great on gas. After a full day of riding around town, you aren't worn out from stop and gos, twisties, etc... That being said, like you, I long for a bit more power. While I like the idea of the power in the Versys 1000, I have a feeling the MPG on my K1600GTL would probably match or be better than that on the V1K, which would knock it off of my list.

Nothing is better than the Tiger if you plan on a real dual purpose bike, but if you aren't riding in any dirt, like it sounds you (as well as I) are not, the Tiger is not what you want. While very sexy, it is taller (not for my 29" inseam), more expensive to purchase, more expensive to maintain, and does not handle as well on the road as the V650 (don't know about the V1K).

All that being said, even though it is a small niche market, I wish Kawasaki would come out with a V800. I believe this would give us that extra bit of power we are looking for, while maintaining all of the things that we like about the V650 and not sacrifice much on MPG.

Texas

#36 ·
I've put down a deposit on a Tiger 1050se, not an 800. It is a pure road bike, very similar to the Versys, but much better power. K1600 is an amazing motorcycle, but well beyond my budget. I didn't want anything much heavier than 550 lbs which rules out most shaft driven sport tours.

#37 ·
Well I'm sure you'll love it. I'd probably have one in the stable to, if I had a bit more inseam. I'm sure it could probably be lowered, but that isn't what it is designed for. All of the Tigers are beautiful machines. Congratulations Splitmind!

Texas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.