Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Sluggish power output

5K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  lgajohnymac 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Needing some help/advice here, please.

My mk2 V is running "sluggish" recently, more noticeable at low rpms... Try to explain, sorry for my language restrictions.

Say I'm cruising at medium speed (60 mph), applying more throttle the power output is not linear... No misfires but it's somewhat more "bumpy" and (I think) less power output ... Feels like running a tractor, really :(... The whole bike vibrates more, if I touch the gear shift lever with my foot when accelerating, it's really vibrating.

I recently stopped using cheaper gasoline, changed to a cleaner one and did 2 tanks with injector cleaner... So this happens now, when it was supposed to be running better :huh:

Bike has 23K miles, new plugs (OEM's) and air filter cleaned about 6K miles ago.

Considering the bike's behavior my first thought was "throttle body sync", but maybe someone has a better idea/advice... Before I tear half the bike apart to reach in there, that is :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks for you help.

Cheers

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Hi invader,

- mk2 = 2010 model

- Running fine before I changed gasoline. And I did 4 or 5 tanks with the new gasoline, before this issue came up.

- Did 2 tanks with STP Injector Cleaner when I changed gasoline. I added, as I recall, 80ml to each full tank. Following the instructions, I think this is (about) the right amount.

- Sorry, wasn't too specific on the gasoline scenario... Here in Portugal (all over Europe?) we only have 2 types of gasoline, 95 and 98 octane... We have the normal and the low-cost gas stations that sell both. As I understand (could be wrong), normal or low-cost the gasoline is the same (in quality, not in octanes), the difference is in the additives they add to the gasoline (or not) in each gas station... I was running on low-cost 95, changed to normal 95.

- Chain and sprockets seem fine, but maybe it's time to change!?... 23K miles on them already :eek: :eek:

If you do go digging around maybe check to see if the air filter was oiled way too much by mistake?
Hi Zatx,

Good point there :thumb:... I did the air filter clean/oil myself (changed the plugs at the same time also) and that could be the cause of the problem... But this was done 6K miles ago, wouldn't the problem manifest itself immediately after the air filter clean/oil?... I really don't know...

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers

#6 ·
Hi kiwi 41,

Don't really know if there's a correct procedure to the amount of oil in the air filter... I just wash it, soak it up real good with the correct oil and leave it aside to drip the excess... Once it's not dripping any more, it's good to go.

Cheers

#10 ·
The service manual suggests putting oil on a rag then use the rag to "rub/dab" the oil onto the filter element. I think "soaking" the filter element with oil is putting too much oil on the filter. That might well be causing the fuel-air mixture to be too rich. Also puts oil on the spark plugs.

I would re-check everything you did earlier, especially the spark plugs to get a reading on fuel mixture. You'll also get information on how well your V is burning the fuel you're using. If nothing is found, then re-synch the intake throttle bodies.

In all cases, I would also use best-quality fuel available.

#13 ·
Thanks for that, invader... Always learning :) :)... I used Motul Air Filter Oil Spray, btw.

I'll pursue that... Also what I gather seems to be the major culprit on the bikes irregular/vibrating rolling, the much-past-its-useful-life chain/sprockets set.

The chain seems OK but I haven't really checked the set in detail, especially the front sprocket... With 23K miles, the set must be completely shot... Time for a new one.

Thanks to all, for the useful inputs.

Cheers

#18 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Just to add some feedback on this and to thank all the inputs.

So, I finally swamped the whole transmission... I bought the D.I.D set for the V (sprockets + chain), replacing the supplied front sprocket with the Kawa 16 tooth, part n. 13144-0038... I had a 3 weeks(!!) wait on this last one...:mad::mad:

Problem solved... All the nasty vibrations are gone, a whole different bike!!!

On close inspection of the previous set, it showed no visible signs of substantial/abnormal wear (sorry no photos), although the shop mechanic told me he noticed the chain was somewhat stretched, due to wear... No wonder, with 23K miles on it...

My lack of knowledge/experience first led me to blame something in the engine...:eek:

Thanks for the photo, kiwi 41... Checked my air box drain tube and it was dry...

Again thanks to all for your inputs!!! :thanx::thanx:

Cheers

#23 ·
I like to compare the chain coming off to the chain I am putting on. You can visualize stretching by laying them on a clean surface side by side. Also, hanging the used chain and observing lateral slack.

I recently had a 86 VFR that had the chain tensioners installed inside out. When I tried to reassemble the same way, I simply could not make it fit. When I inspected closer, the wear indicator stickers were facing the inside. I turned them around and the rear wheel slipped right into place. However the chain quickly weared after this, and is being replaced. I am betting that chain will have a considerable amount of lateral slack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.