Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Alex from Nashville

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Tech-Diver 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Just wanted to take a few minutes and introduce myself. My name is Alex and I'm looking into getting into the world of two wheels! I'm originally from Knoxville and attended/graduated from the University of Tennessee a few years ago. My dad is a residential contractor so I always grew up around equipment and spending a ton of time outdoors with him. He was really great about getting me on an ATV and dirtbike when I was a little guy so I've always loved powersports. I've been bitten by the motorcycle bug here in the last few years though and am looking at purchasing my first bike. I knew from the get go that I wanted to purchase an adventurer type motorcycle, and after a lot of research, reading, and even looking at the bikes in person, I've decided to shoot for a Versys. This decision feels even better after stumbling across this forum and seeing this great community of riders!

Alright, so I'm familiar with riding and operating some types of powersports (including dirtbikes) but I'll be new to motorcycles. I'm registered right now for a MSF course in a few weeks. I've also read Proficient Motorcycling to give me a vague idea on the physics and riding characteristics of a motorcycle.

Here's where I need some help:

A. Any general knowledge/tidbits would be great as I'll be a new rider.

B. Riding gear? My dad has beat it in my head that I will be wearing riding gear at all times. Right now I've decided on a Shoei Qwest helmet and a Johnny Rocket Radar leather/mesh jacket. Not real sure what to look for in pants/gloves/boots. Can yall recommend anything?

C. Price of bike. So I've actually found a 2012 Versys 650 here in Nashville at a local dealership. I really like the guys over there and they've been very helpful. With zero negotiation, this is what they've offered the bike for.

$7899 base MSRP

-$900 discount right off the bat

-------------------------------------

$6999

+ $400 freight

+ $379 Prep

+ $169 doc fee

+ $33 license

+ tax in Tennessee which is high at 9%, but apparently it's only 9% for the first $2500-3000 of the bike (can't remember what the guy said).

---------------------------------------------

$8617.13 out the door price for me.

What do you all think? He knocked $900 off immediately but that was without me saying a word about the price. I'm thinking they're motivated to move the 2012 and get a new 2013 in there. There's two ways I thought about approaching this because I think I can move them a little more.....ask them to take the freight and prep charge out. Or, request that they throw a helmet, jacket, pants, and gloves into the deal. I've got that stuff priced at around $1000-$1200. This seems like the best pitch I have. For one, I'd be saving that amount of money on the riding gear. However, the dealership wouldn't be "giving" me that same amount....just the cost they have in the riding gear.

Anyways, what do yall think? Glad to be a part of the forum!

-Alex

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Alex,

Nine percent? I thought Texas was bad at just over 8% - guess I'll complain a little less.

Your dealer, in offering a $900 discount right off the bat is effectively "giving" you freight, dealer prep (which at $379 strikes me as rather high. Even if they charge $100/hour labor, that's almost 4 hours), and around 70% of the "document preparation" cost. Document preparation has always bothered me - I tend to think of it as a cost of doing business, but that's another story.

Every dollar they can subtract from the sales price means that much less you're going have to pay to the governor's 9% sales tax kitty. I have to admit I don't understand the sales person's comment "it's only 9% for the first $2500-3000 of the bike." Does that mean the tax rate on the balance is something less or nothing at all - the latter isn't likely.

It might be worth a few minutes with the sales guys to see if they're willing to do any better. You'll never know unless you ask. If they won't, I think it's a pretty decent deal. In fact, the bottom line is it's a decent deal if you believe it is. Unless you can find another really good deal in the vicinity, you'll simply be spending gas money chasing phantoms.

Everyone has their favorite riding gear and you'll probably get a lot of good suggestions. I have Joe Rocket and Cortech jackets and they suit me niecly. I also like Joe Rocket gloves but also have other brands that are as good if not better. There are a bunch of on-line motorcycles stores (Twisted Throttle, Motorcycle Superstore, Motorcycle Gear, Whitehorse) that have good prices but it's also worth looking at local dealers where you can try on equipment - good fit is very important in my opinion. You don't have to buy everything from them, but it's nice to buy a little here and there. If you find a piece of gear you like, and it fits well, and you can get a much better price from an on-line vendor (including shipping and tax if it's charged) then go for it.

My two cents worth. Good luck and enjoy.

#4 ·
Alex, welcome!
Really the two wheels and contagious for someone who does not walk on two wheels, and no explanation is convincing to those who walk, no explanation is necessary.
Ha if I lived in there with what I get, I believe that could buy bikes very best. Here we pay for a Versys 650 each $ 15,000.

*** Alex, seja bem vindo!
Realmente as duas rodas contagia e para alguém que não anda de duas rodas, nenhuma explicação é convincente e para quem anda, nenhuma explicação é necessária.
Ha se eu morasse em ai com o que ganho, acredito que poderia comprar motos muito melhores. Aqui pagamos por uma Versys 650 uns 15 mil dólares. ****

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.