Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Turbo Time ?

6K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 ·
Just snooping on Aerocharger website.

With their built in calculator, using 5-lb Boost ( which ain't much) and a 9000 rpm rev limit, a 40 cu. in. engine would make 102 HP

Hmmm - when the warranty runs out I just may have found my extra go-go.

For $2000 US - you build the manifolds, which is no sweat for me.

#2 ·
Yeah mate sounds fun to me.. modifying the motor is important depending on how much boost you want to run and reliability.. which is tricky for too many reasons to name in a brief. Fuel management and timing is critical, top end at the very least reliability is critical too... the bottom end is a whole new story.. talk to as many people that know this motor specifically as you can regarding the subject to get unbiased advise.
You don't want a sales pitch here!!

If you want a much faster bike in the same format it may be better in the long run to go go a faster design like a second hand Multistrada.

I don't want burn your wagon but I've seen a lot of despair on these Turbo projects that have not been thoroughly set up and gone so wrong... from joint efforts too not just a great idea from a low budget financier

You also have resale options to consider down the track unless money is no option to which I would ask... Why not a Duke!!

Get advice from those in the know is my advice not my opinion though....

Blue ridge performance know these engines well and would be a good starting contact from my researching similar ideas...

It's a lot of fun turbo or super charging bikes but the horror and costs can out-weigh the thrills if not done right.. I was going to Super charge my VFR800 Vtec until the kit was made obsolete due to un economic reasoning.. that was a full ready made to bolt on guaranteed kit for 5 grand US and it worked very well.

#5 · (Edited)
Looked like it had a 520 chain... I'll bet that lasted the distance...

Gotta get out for a ride sorry dudes.. but the fires have me hemmed in with the Turkey again... Thanks to big Elvis my place is safe though.. stuff knows how to evac 5 bikes with 2 kids, 3 dogs 10 chooks and a screaming missus in 1 wagon

#6 ·
Yeah - I just put those figures up as an example. Keep the revs at 7K or below, should run about 5 lb boost. Will probably - if I go down this road - install forged pistons too.

And for sure talk to the people who know.

I have wanted a Multistrada for years - but over here the price is out of this world. Same as HD.

Buy a new HD for 25 K in Canada - same bike will be close to 60 K here.

A used Multistrada is 35 K.

Can buy a few Versys for that amount - and if one grenades - so be it.

#17 · (Edited)
Unless the build itself is the reward it does not really make sense to me to put a turbo on a bike like the Versys as you will not get the money spent back in resale and it will no doubt shorten the remaining life of the engine and well, for $2000 -$3000 + the resale of your Versys you can buy a 100HP+, gently used, bike with better components (brakes, suspension) than the Versys and will no doubt be more reliable. That's the logical answer but if you do this I really want to see a thread and pictures ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.