Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

My first ride impressions

5K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  alekkas 
#1 ·
I rode home from buying the bike while feeling bad and then only a short ride to the drug store. So today I was finely able to get out for a nice long “Shake Down” ride. All week it’s rained or I was sick so I have used the time to adjust the bike to fit me. And whoever posted about the Aprilla Mirrors, I own you a beer! I can see behind me and the blurring is all but gone.

I got in 75 miles almost all back road no 4 lane at all. Being limited to a 4 grand redline for break in is a pain as I can tell the motor want to rev like crazy. I did run it up to 5 grand a couple times and she pull nicely. I was happy how smooth the motor is, and it sound so much better than my KLR. But I blew more than one up shift cause I am sure short shifting to keep the revs down. I have to remind myself that there a 6 gear in the box. All my bikes have had a 5 speed, I can see a gearing change in the near future to add a bit more legs at speed as at low end the bike pulls well.

I like the handling, tracks true and steady even if it's a somewhat bumpy ride. I still have more work on suspension set up to do. The brakes hauled me down fast enough so I didn’t smack the Turkey that flew out of the bushes In front of me, the rear locked up a bit and the bike got sideway BUT was controllable. The Versys reminds me of a Buell Ulysses in the handling and seating and THAT is a great thing. BUT the KLE doesn’t have the fueling issues or heat problems the Buell was prone to.

PLUS I topped off the tank on the way home and checking I got right at 55mph.

Even the seat isn’t too bad. So I’ll be glad when the Givis are in and I can get them mounted and “Haul the Groceries” home.

Think I’m really going to like the little bike.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you will love the stock gearing ratios once you discover the 5000 to 10000 RPM range and get more time in the saddle. The engine pulls even harder above 5000 RPM and does not peter out until ~10000. You can easily pull past 100MPH in 6th gear or ride in 5th at highway speeds. The versys will go a lot faster than I want to ;) The stock gearing is long enough that wind resistance and engine power limit the top speed before the red line is reached. The engine seems to lug a bit below 3000 when in 2nd gear or higher though which is probably not good for it. I would try to keep the revs above this if you can.

#5 ·
I agree with the change the oil early and often. I did on my KLR at 100, 250, 500, 1000 miles. I now change it every 2500-3000 miles. It's a '09 and I have 26,000 miles on it. Don't burn any either AND KLRs on the hyways are known oil burners. Did the same on my Buell and never had a problem with ithere were 22,000 on the clock when I traded it in on the Versys. I use my bikes BUT I take care of them and they are always garaged or covered when I'm on a trip.

There are so many different schools of thought from the never ride more than 20 mins and let the motor cool to the ride it like you stole it as soon as you buy it. You pays your money, you take your chance.

#6 ·
I was happy how smooth the motor is, and it sound so much better than my KLR. But I blew more than one up shift cause I am sure short shifting to keep the revs down. I have to remind myself that there a 6 gear in the box. All my bikes have had a 5 speed,
I came over from a KLR as well. It'll take you a good long time before you get used to that 6th gear. Ive put about 700 miles on my V and Im not even close to being used to 6th yet. I still get surprised by it when Im upshifting and I forget about it when down shifting.

#10 ·
Reguardless of how you break it in, the biggest thing to remember is not to run the engine at a constant rpm. Row through the gearbox and fluxuate the rpms.

I don't lug mine, but I'm limiting the rpms to 5K on mine for the first 300 miles. Then I'll change the oil and filter, sinc the TB's and ride it like I'm going to (I'm not the ricky racer type). Hopefully the rest of the 300 miles will come today.

#13 · (Edited)
Well on a different note. As I changed the factory mirrors on the Versys for Aprilla mirrors I now have a couple of mirrors that I can use the replace the lolipops on the KLR. Believe it or not they are wider on the KLR and I can see better with them, and they look better! A Win Win if you ask me.

Sadly due to rains and work looks like I'm in the cage the next couple of days.

#16 ·
Another thing about this whole "break-in" procedure recommended by Kawasaki. They have been issuing the same set of guidelines for over 25 years now. In that time alloys and manufacturing techniques have improved dramatically. The quality of the oils used inside the engines have improved equally as much. Water cooling has also helped keep the expansion rates in check, and cylinder head temps down. Last, but not least, the FI does a much better job of letting the engine get the right amount of fuel and air for a good even burn rate in the cylinders. Thus vastly improving combustion efficiently and reducing secondary harmonic in the engine.

Kawasaki hasn’t seemed fit to change these guidelines as it works for their entire street worthy product line. If they wanted to, they could come up with a specific guideline for each and every motorcycle. I guarantee it would be a lot different than what we see today if they did.

#18 ·
wiki modern engine Break In

an excerpt:

"In general, people no longer break in the engines of their own vehicles after purchasing a car or motorcycle, because the process is done in production"

Amsoil take on Modern Engine Break In

Their article is mostly (of course) a selling point for their oil. But it does talk about some research they've done which has some relevance.

It does seem that research (tear downs) (including MotoMans) show that the rings seat better when run in hard.

#22 ·
There's no evidence that this way breaks the engine. There is evidence of the opposite.
I've been breaking in my cars and now my motorcycle this way for years with no known ill effects and I'm far from the only one.
I have over 100K miles on one of my cars that I broke in using this technique with no oil loss or any other damage.
I had over 200K miles on my last car broken in this way with no oil loss or damage.
Did you look at the pictures of the pistons on motoman's page?

Bottom line is no one is forcing you to break in your bike this way, but evidence suggests it works and I've seen no evidence to suggest it causes damage.

#23 · (Edited)
I know this is "apples-and-oranges", but watch NHRA Top Fuel dragsters or Funny Cars. They tear down after EVERY run and re-build. Then they warm it up in the pits with one REALLY good "BRAP" on the throttle as they shut down. Then tow out and run WFO for 4 seconds or so, EVERY RUN.:eek:penarms:

#24 ·
Like I said to begin with I'm not knocking Motoman. I'm sure with today's engines and lubes people can get by with a lot of abuse, but just because you don't do it the way Motoman suggests doesn't mean you end up with an oil burning slug. As far as dragster, they don't care about longevity they are just looking for a sweet run or two down the strip and then rebuilt. Just saying there are other ways then what Motoman suggests for break in that work just as well.

#25 ·
I am sorry my first post started this mess. Hope it's not a trend. :sorry:

I can see both sides of this. Yes Motomans right about seating the rings in with high pressure. BUT a Motorcycle powerplant is a heck of a lot more than just rings and a bore. Valve train, bottom end, clutch and trany are all lubed with the same oil. I have reved it up a bit 7 grand a couple times but for the most part am leting things wear in and "Get to know each other" I did the same for my Buell and Klr (not to 7 grand on either as that's well above the redline) and they don't burn oil. In fact every motorcycle/car I treated the same way and have had no problems with any of them.

BUT as I said in a earlier post "Ya pays your money, ya takes you chance".

I also said I thought I was going to like this little bike. Well I think I might have understated it a bit. As I get the suspension tuned in better it gets better and better. One "click" on the rear preloader made a fair amount of difference next I plan one turn of preload on the forks. Then I'll start playing with rebound.

The seats a pain so Seat Concepts will be getting an order in a couple of weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.