Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Cold weather riding vs bike type

8K views 36 replies 32 participants last post by  Mursili 
#1 · (Edited)
As the weather cools and deteriorates as we approach winter I see fewer and fewer bikes on the road. Although cheap adventure bikes (Versys, WeeStrom, KLR, etc.) make up a pretty insignificant amount of registered motorcycles they seem to be over represented by the riders still on the road.

Anyone else have a similar observation?

#2 ·
I know of my 4 bikes, three of them get put away (BMW R1200GS, BMW R90S and a Triumph Thunderbird) while the Versys stays on and available should there be a break in the weather and the roads are clear. It's not that I don't love it, and am willing to subject it to the nasty conditions, but it just seems the best for that purpose. Plus, both my son and I share riding it, so if there's a nice day, one or the other of us can go for a rip.
That said, I still am seeing the occasional Harley out riding around. I guess it figures, as around here they (Harleys) make up about 80 percent of the bikes on the road.

#4 ·
Don't understand

That's kinda of funny, sports bike riders protect their heads with full coverage helmets but don't care about their feet. Then you have the Harley people, man they protect the hell out or their feet with big ass boots but no helmets!:badidea:

#6 ·
As the weather cools and deteriorates as we approach winter I see fewer and fewer bikes on the road.

I've noticed all the race/super sport bikes seem to go into hibernation at the first sign of cold weather. Most of the cruisers and high end sport tour bikes do the same. The only bikes left on the road at this time of year seem to be the adventure bikes (Versys, WeeStrom, KLR, etc.) and the occasional metric cruiser and older Japanese standard.

In the winter I see mostly cruisers on the roads around here but I don't think that's a function of the weather, I think that's because 90% of the riders around here ride cruisers. Oddly enough the second most popular bikes on the winter roads around here seem to be dual sports (KLRs, DRs XRs etc.) with the occasional classic metric bike here or there. I very seldom see an "adventure" type bikes around here irregardless of the weather. There are a couple of BMWs in the area but I have yet to see a VStrom, a Vee, a Tiger or anything along those lines. I feel like the odd man out sometimes.

#8 ·
As the weather cools and deteriorates as we approach winter I see fewer and fewer bikes on the road.

I've noticed all the race/super sport bikes seem to go into hibernation at the first sign of cold weather. Most of the cruisers and high end sport tour bikes do the same. The only bikes left on the road at this time of year seem to be the adventure bikes (Versys, WeeStrom, KLR, etc.) and the occasional metric cruiser and older Japanese standard.

My bikes follow the same route but come January, February as long as the roads are clear and free of salt my trusty ole 400cc scooter is the only two wheeler seen in sub 20 deg,F weather. The "tough guys" are gone til summer.

#10 ·
Here we have riding weather all year--temps will dip below freezing in Winter, but snow and ice on the roads are rare unless you go up in elevation a bit.

In the "off season" BMWs make up a high percentage of the commute bikes I see on the road--higher than for example than in the Summer when there are more bikes out. For how uncommon they are, I think Verses are well represented too--there's one I see regularly during the commute, and another I saw once while we were both refuelling at the end of my commute.

#11 ·
We have an MC parking pad at work, laid in concrete, that can hold about 20 or so bikes on a nice Summer day. 15 of them will be cruisers, the rest mostly sport bikes. As the weather turns to Winter here in Canada, fewer and fewer bikes have assembled there. For the last 2 weeks, my Versys had the pad all to itself with the exception of one day shared with a KLR.

Even I had to throw in the towel 3 days ago and park for the season. Snow's here.

#12 ·
First dusting of snow here, but I had two good rides this week. At 10 degrees Celsius I was mostly comfortable with Gerbing heated liner and gloves, however after about 20 minutes I did get cold on the back of my upper arms and lower front (stomach area). It was then that I found myself missing my Concours, which had the best the weather protection of any bike I've ever ridden. Early spring and late fall is the only time the V is less than adequate for me.

I saw mostly cruisers and luxo-barge type bikes on the road.

#13 ·
When it's c-c-c-cold I tend to reach for the Honda ST which has much better wind protection than the Versys, but I have heated grips, heated gloves and a heated jacket liner so I can take the cold pretty well on either bike. As long as there's no salt and crap on the roads, I keep riding. I rode several times in January and February this year...never rode in either month before.

#14 ·
My Buell had NO wind protection at all and I didn't ride much in real cold weather because Frost Bite is very low on my Fun List of things to do!

My KLR offers much better protection and I ride it in low temps. The Versys I park as it's too nice a bike to beat up with road grime and any salt after the first snow. BUT I do ride it until then.

Almost all the cruiser riders I know are "Fair Weather Riders" and park it when the temp drop below 70. BUT I do see more HDs than Sportbikes when it gets cold.

I have also noticed that almost every one waves in winter here. Not sure it they're saying hello OR HELLO...another fool!

#24 ·
Almost all the cruiser riders I know are "Fair Weather Riders" and park it when the temp drop below 70. BUT I do see more HDs than Sportbikes when it gets cold.
True that. While there are lots of fairweather Harley riders, there are also Harley riders who are among the most hardcore of all. I remember last winter in February I did a 100-mile round trip to get to an appointment I had (I ride year round, barring snow and ice) and I saw four other bikes on the road all day: three Harleys and a new Bonneville. Given that I also sometimes succumb to the stereotype of Harley riders as fairweather dentists and accountants playing dress up, it's good to be reminded that there's also the other kind.

I have also noticed that almost every one waves in winter here. Not sure it they're saying hello OR HELLO...another fool!
Yeah, when the road's thick with bikes in the summer, it's ho-hum, why wave. When you're out there in 28 degrees and you see that single headlight coming, you WAVE, dammit! A fellow lunatic. Instant bonding. :clap:

#15 ·
Around here if there is a %20 chance of 'shade' the cruiser's get parked and it's just me and a couple KLR's on the road. Maybe it's a Kawi thing. ;-) As long as there's no snow I'm on the bike.

#16 ·
There definitely appears to be a steep dropoff in the number of sport bikes in NYC once it hits about 45f. Unless there's snow or ice on the ground I'm riding 365. I tend to only see adventure bikes and scooters with barn door windshields once its properly cold...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#17 ·
I was talking to a friend at work that rides a Hybusa about the same thing. He can only afford to carry insurane for 6 months a year. He says it's common for the liter+ bikes due to the $1100.00 it costs for the six months they get. If I had to pay $2K a year for insurance, I probably wouldn't ride in the winter either.... As it is I pay $210.00 for a whole year which means the V doesn't get much of a break come winter...

#18 ·
Only machine I've seen on the road consistently since the beginning of October is an old hippy-looking dude on a Zuma 50. I think it's his only transport; he must live near me because I see him quite often during the riding season, more than any other single identifiable rider. We had some unseasonably warm weather leading up to Thanksgiving, and various sorts were out for a final ride; mostly cruisers, primarily H-D, with the odd sportbike here and there. I generally drop my oil and park my bike around Halloween. Much later and the chance of clear roads with which to burn the last of the moisture out of your crankcase diminishes considerably.

#20 ·
It was 28F when I left the house this morning.
When I got to work my boss told me he was sending me out for a drug test because "you must be on something to ride in this weather".
I saw a couple bikes out riding yesterday after it warmed up but none today.
It's supposed to snow tonight, I'll leave the V parked until the roads are dry then I'll be back at it.

#21 ·
In my neck of the woods (extreme northern suburbs of Los Angeles), the only bikes that are really out when it's below 60 are my V, a street triple, and a funky spaceship looking scooter. Everyone else packs it in for the 'winter'. The majority of riders around here are weekend warrior types, accountants and lawyers with their shiny HDs and fresh-off-the-rack leathers. If it's too cold for their vests and chaps, they don't want to have anything to do with it.

#22 ·
I think a lot of it comes down to the gear the rider is wearing. If you have the right gear it can be comfortable riding for prolonged periods, at higher speeds, in cold weather down to 32F/0C or even below, but if you don't it's going to be miserable.

I find adventure style textile gear is the most comfortable thing in cold weather. Maybe why we see a higher percentage of adventure riders in cold weather. My Olympia stuff is good to ~45F, and 32F and below with the addition of a heated jacket liner and heated gloves.

#23 ·
I live in Indiana and it has been 22f or so in the last couple of weeks. That has reduced the population count of motorcycles in my area to 2.... my Versys and someone on a WeeStrom. Though most mornings it is just me.

Everyone I work with thinks I'm nuts, but as long as you have a jacket and a pair of pants to break the wind you're fine. At least I am as I just have an 8 minute ride to work. The only part that gets cold on me is three fingers on my right hand. I need to find a better pair of gloves.

#25 ·
Today at work the motorcycle parking area included two new, large BMWs, one old, large BMW (for me things with 1200 cc displacement is "large"), a Transalp, my Versys and a little Honda Elite scooter.

In warmer times there will usually be a couple of cruisers. Lately it has been cold, but I am praying for snow. I am now watering my brown grass just to keep it from dying.

#29 · (Edited)
Holey froozen Holiday Balls! Thats cold! :eek:

Freak of weather here its been in 50's will ride today for a little bit. It will not last of course. Anything below -10F is just not comfortable IMO. End of riding season here soon! :( So I know what you mean!

#30 ·
rode mine one day this last week for work, it was 31F when I left the house at 2 am, and 41F when I got home at 4pm. I've been doing the 2am or 3am start all week and it's been in the upper teens, haven't felt like putting on all my gear for the 10 mile ride to work so the bikes been sitting waiting. I figure if there isn't snow/ice on the roads and I can stand the cold, I'll be riding. All my co-workers with their cruisers have them snug in the garage til May.

#37 ·
I figure if there isn't snow/ice on the roads and I can stand the cold, I'll be riding.
I have learned to not ride when it is below 20F when I leave the house. There is the cold tires that can slide out from under you or the persistent little patches of ice.

I am with you with the idea that, if I can control my bike, I will ride. It is the lack of control that restrains me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.