Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Just joined and a question about lowering link

981 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  MaverickAus 
#1 ·
Hi, I just bought a used 2008 Versys. I generally change bikes every year or two. After making it as good as it can get for me, it's time to move on, II guess. Over the last 10 years I've ridden, in no particular order, a 2003 BMW F650CS, 2007 BMW F800ST, 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620, 1991 Suzuki Bandit 400, 1996 Suzuki GS500 (my first bike after a couple of scooters). I really wanted to love the BMW F800ST but could never really get comfortable on it, no matter how I modified it. Liked the Multistrada best so far. I've long wanted to try the Versys but thought it would be too tall for me (5'8" with a 30" inseam). Which brings me to my question: the Versys I just bought came with Speedy's lowering link already installed, which is great. But the previous owner had some front end work done and the front fork was restored to spec. I'd like to lower the front fork as per Speedy's instructions but if I do, the handlebar will easily scrape the tank on full turn (while parking). Indeed, there is already a worn spot on the tank's finish where the bars hit it in the past. What's the downside of leaving the front fork where it is (1/2" from top of smooth metal and 1" from bottom of smooth metal)? Do you guys have the same scraping problem and just live with it or do you buy a riser to improve clearance? Glad to be aboard and thanks in advance for any input.

#2 ·
Any idea of what the front-end work was? Did he change the springs or shorten the spacer? If so, the bike may be lowered proportionately already.
I have Speedy's link on mine and lowered the front according to his instructions (pulling the forks up through the triple clamp to the end of the machined area). This did not alter the relationship of the bars to the bodywork. Have the bars been switched out?
Oh, congrats on the bike and welcome to the forum!

#3 ·
I have an 09 V. I thought the 09 V and 08 V were about the same construction. If so, I don't understand how the handlebars can hit the tank. The distance from handlebars to tank is controlled by the riser, not the fork position.

I have Speedy's lowering kit on my 09 V (also on a 10 V). I have lowered the front forks as Speedy suggests, and I have also installed HyperPro progressive lowering-springs in the front forks, which lower the front another 30 mm (1.2 inches). With all this lowering, I still have one inch of clearance between handlebar and fuel tank during a maximum, full-lock turn.

Perhaps your handlebars have been turned counter-clockwise which would point the outer ends down toward the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.