Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

What is this?

6K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  cyclesarge 
#1 ·
So I just got my Versys a couple days ago and was wondering about a couple things.
1. What is this thing on the side of the engine? I've looked at other pictures and haven't seen this before.

2. Is there supposed to be something screwed here? This is on the right side of the swingarm near the shock mounting point. I could see a threaded hole that is not being used, but the missing paint there, as if there WAS something there, makes me wonder.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think the box is part of the CARB anti smog stuff. I would say you have a CAL bike.

I don't know what bolts into that hole. I have the same tapped hole in my swingarm and nothing was there when I bought the bike from the deal new. BUT if you buy a rear hugger most will bolt down there from what I've seen.

#3 ·
X2

#4 ·
1. What is this thing on the side of the engine? I've looked at other pictures and haven't seen this before.

2. Is there supposed to be something screwed here? This is on the right side of the swingarm near the shock mounting point. I could see a threaded hole that is not being used, but the missing paint there, as if there WAS something there, makes me wonder.

1. Emissions canister for California edition bike.
2. Tapped hole for ABS use (which is not used in the USA). Speedy uses this hole for the lowering kit he offers!

#7 ·
I know, right? Is there any other disadvantage/advantage to the bike being "Californian"? Lower horse power? Lower MPG? I looked at the owner's manual and they had some diagrams of the California emissions stuff but nothing that looked like this, which is why I asked. The odd thing is, is that this bike is brand new and was at the dealer at least 4 months ago.

Still a little curious about the missing paint on the swingarm. Was the bike previously equipped with ABS (and it got pulled when the bike was slated to go to the US)? Was there some kind of "shipping device" there?

#18 · (Edited)
The original ones like my 2007 are made In Japan (11th VIN character is an 'A'). :)

I think late model ones are made in Thailand. I'm not sure from which year.

The 1st VIN character 'J' denotes where manufacturer is based (Japan)... "Kawasaki Heavy Industries" (in Japan) is the manufacturer's name stated on your sticker.

#37 ·
#41 ·
Haha, here's the disclaimer from twisted throttle about these bars.

****Special Note: These bars will not fit the California model without removing the special emissions package, which we do not endorse. We have been told that if you have a high degree of mechanical aptitude, you can make the crashbar fit.
I ended up just kinda moving the canister out of the way with the bar, didn't have to trim anything or make any other mods. I wonder how many sales they have missed out on from people with California emissions models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.