Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Does the lack of braking power make you want to sell??

12K views 76 replies 47 participants last post by  Newsshooter 
#1 ·
Just as the title asks... I am in love with the everything about my V with exception of the less than adequate brakes. I just don't feel safe on this bike in emergency situations or while riding roads where corners are not indicated. Shaving off speed just doesn't feel linear on the V.

I am a fairly experienced rider, however my last bike was a 2006 VFR800 with linked brakes and ABS. That bike stopped amazingly with or without a pillion. I have already purchased stainless lines for the front and rear, but I am tempted to not install as I might just sell the bike.

Does anyone else out there feel the same? This bike has so much potential, but I don't want invest in farkles when I could invest in something with a little more HP and stopping power.

To those with braided lines and upgraded pads: Was the difference truly night and day, or only moderately better? Because I can tell you I need a night and day difference in order to be bothered.

Please voice you opinions...

-P@

#72 ·
I'll be picking up my versys today, will be able to evaluate the brakes better tomorrow. I'm a road racer so I'm sure I'll be pickier than most on here about my brakes. I'm used to one or two finger braking on my ZXR400, brembo master, R6 calipers and vesrah race pads. Stock R6 brakes with Vesrah pads just about as good.

I bleed my brakes EVERY race weekend. Regular maintenance will help everyone, you'd be surprised how just a little bit of change is needed to feel a difference. If I don't like them I'll start with pads and lines, then calipers and master. I think I already have parts in the shed that will work if I wanted to upgrade the master and calipers. :)

As to the post that said ABS effects the bike in a corner you are mistaken, Bike geometry and changes in geometry due to braking are the reason for a bike wanting to stand up or fall into a corner. I use the brakes on track to help me turn the bike. ABS has no effect on that, only whether the wheel locks up or not.

#74 ·
I think I've bitched as much if not more than most about the front brakes on my '08 Versys. I think by now it is safe to say the problem is NOT that some of us expect superbike performance. We just got crappy brakes on our particular bikes. I chalk it up to really bad quality control. I'm sure many of you have perfectly adequate brakes. Like the original poster, I did not, and in hindsight would probably buy a different bike because of it.
On my bike, they are the worst front brakes I have ever had on any bike I have ever ridden. Including my YZ and XL that had front drums. I'm not exaggerating. I quit riding for a year because I couldn't afford to upgrade and didn't feel safe on the bike. It wen't in early to the dealer who replaced a rotor under warranty but didn't fix the problem. I recently added ebc HH pads, ebc rotors, and hel braided lines. I haven't ridden enough to bed them in yet, but there was some improvent. They're better but still not very good. New calipers and a master cylinder will eventually happen. For the cost and trouble I would have been happier with a Tiger or something with better quality control from the beginning.

#76 ·
Z750 shares the same caliper as the versys, and so does ninja 650r and the suzuki sv650. Meanwhile the master pump from z750 is also a 14mm master, except that its using external fluid reservoir compared to versys/650r built-in together .

Brembo master is a nice addition, if one has the excess cash lying around, although i felt it is an overkill for versys, not to mention it is definitely a thief magnet.

For those who think that stock brake is not good enough, I guess a 4 potter tokico from versys 1000 with metal sintered pads and steel braided lines would be very significant improvement.

#77 ·
Well, I gotta agree after riding today that the brakes are crap. I'll check the pads and put fresh brake fluid in it and see how that affects it. After that I'd try new pads, I've got some calipers I think will fit. A different master from an R6 or ZX6r might be a good addition too. I'm used to trying different things on my race bikes so why should this one be different. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.