Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Weirdest thing happened yesterday--Stuck at high RPM

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  ttpete 
#1 · (Edited)
I absolutely love this forum and have been a long time lurker on here. I've learned so much from others' posts, but couldn't find anything on this topic so am hoping someone might be able to help me out. I've got a 09 V with about 10.5k miles on it. As I was leaving school yesterday, I went through my normal routine of starting the bike and putting on my gear. Usually the RPMs will start around 2k and then drop to about 1.3k when the bike warms up. However, yesterday they stayed at around 3-4k. I thought it might just need to be kicked into gear so I took off and got to the stoplight at the end of the block, but the RPMs stayed around 3-4k when I pulled in the clutch. Thinking someone may have messed with the idle adjustment screw, I stopped and checked, but even when it was backed all the way out, the RPMs wouldn't go below 3-4k. I made sure the throttle was closed the entire way, but that still didn't work. Finally, I stopped again, got off the bike and checked everything again. When I turned the bike back on for this third time, everything was back to normal.

Does anybody have any idea what could have been going on there? My only thoughts are that the throttle was stuck open (and somehow me pushing it all the way back to place didn't close it the first time) or there was a bunch of excess gas somewhere that had to burn off. I'm worried it could be something more serious and don't want to be stranded somewhere, but I'm totally stumped as to what could be going on.

On a potentially-related note, sometimes when I turn on the bike, I get this nasty sound that can only be described as buzzing/scraping coming from what sounds like the bottom right of the engine area (below where the pipes connect to the engine and a little forward of where the oil plug bolt is). I'll have to take a video of this and post it in a separate post, but in case anyone thinks that might be relevant, I thought I'd share it here.

See less See more
#6 ·
Oh wow, I totally missed that thread and it looks like it's pretty much the exact same issue I've been having. I'll try messing around with the bike a bit in the next couple of days and hopefully get the issue taken care of. As always, this forum is a lifesaver!

#4 ·
Not to get all negative but that Advanced Search is a frickin joke! :thumbdown:

I have never had it come up with one thread yet even if I put the exact title of the thread still nothing? :thumbdown: I MUST be doing something wrong? :(

#7 · (Edited)
On a potentially-related note, sometimes when I turn on the bike, I get this nasty sound that can only be described as buzzing/scraping coming from what sounds like the bottom right of the engine area (below where the pipes connect to the engine and a little forward of where the oil plug bolt is). I'll have to take a video of this and post it in a separate post, but in case anyone thinks that might be relevant, I thought I'd share it here.
Beside the fuel pump priming up, what you hear is the subthrottle valve actuator cycling when turning ignition on. You may have a problem with it or the subthrottle valve actuator. Did the FI lamp go on while idle was high? Do you wash it with high pressure water? If it happens again, see if the subthrottle actuator cam is still pushing down at your idle adjustment screw... Observe it when you turn ignition on, and also when you start bike cold to see how it normally functions.

#11 ·
The sound I'm talking about will usually continue for a while at low RPMs until the bike warms up a bit (maybe at higher RPMs too but the noise of the exhaust covers up the nasty sound). It's kind of a combination of scraping and rattling sound.

The FI light didn't go on while the idle was high. I do use a high pressure washer at one of those DIY car washes since there's no hose at my apartment. However, I never squeeze the trigger to really blast the bike unless i'm a good 10-15 feet away (and NEVER near the brakes or wheel bearings).

If it happens again, I'll definitely check what you suggest. Thanks so much!

#9 ·
I never was able to determine what caused my issue....it hasn't done it since. Shutting the bike down and restarting seemed to correct the issue....

Good Luck

#13 ·
What you might be hearing is the oil pressure relief valve chattering because the oil's cold and the pressure is high because of the increased viscosity. Once the oil starts flowing, the pressure decreases and the valve closes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.