Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Carrying Extra Fuel

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  pep56 
#1 ·
We're headed up to the James Bay Road next weekend, so my buddy built me a gas can rack that replaces the passenger peg. He had to do some bending and welding, but it's made from 1/8" sheet metal from Home Depot. I painted it with metallic Rustoleum to ward off rusting, and added a retention strap from REI and door edge moulding from Pep Boys. The can is only 1.25 gallons, but that should get me at least another 60 miles on the Versys. Total cost, including paint and the gas can: around $40.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
#4 ·
I like it because when I get back from my trip, I can just pop it off and put my passenger peg back on. It's not a permanent attachment, nor is it just strapped onto the bike like loose luggage. It's a little in the way, getting on and off the bike, and especially if I had to push the bike (but I could always pull it off if it gets to that). Over the winter, I might see if I can find a differently-shaped gas can that won't be in the way as much, but still has similar capacity. If I pick up a tail rack that works with the Givi side racks, I may move the gas can storage to there.

#6 ·
I did, after cutting my shin open the first time I dismounted the bike with the rack installed. With the underbody exhaust, I don't know why I insisted on the left side. Unfortunately, the angle of the mount means it's only good on one side. Ideally, I'd prefer to get a tail rack and mount it there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.