Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

New KTM 1190 Adventure

8K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
I 'swapped' bikes on a ride with a fellow on a KTM 990 (enduro...? I think...), and, even tho' I'm used to a high seat (KLR and Versys), the one on his REALLY got my attention when I almost dropped it at the first stop. Think it's around 36".

The video looked PDG!

#3 ·
The current KMT is apparently the best of the adv. bikes off road but a bit of a pig on road. It's also ugly as sin. Good to see they improved the styling on the new one. They also seem to have moved to a more street oriented platform with versions with a 19inch or 21inch front wheel. Wonder what will happen to the SMT, KMT's 990cc version of the Versys?

#4 ·
I tried a 950r ktm enduro and didnt really like the engine...or the handling for that matter (though I was on the road...it's certainly more in it's place off-road). I think the new adventure looks much better over the last model...but just like with many Ducatis (less of an issue on the latest models), the maintenance on these bikes scare the crap out of me.

#16 ·
Because KTM have adopted the 19" front and 17" rear wheel sizes, the new bike is much more short-arse rider friendly. I'm 5' 11" with a 31" inseam and I can flatfoot the 1190 easily. The Adventure R version keeps the more off road bias wheel sizes.

#28 ·
finally watched these vids, i've had that page open on my desktop for days. yes, that one was very convincing. he emphasized that it is not dumbed down, but more like an old 990 than a current big trailie. not sure i'd buy this over a Tiger cub, but i'd certainly have a look.

tubes have no advantages offroad, or anywhere else.

spoked wheels have advantages offroad... impact resistance and repair-ability.

tubeless + spoked is a match made in heaven.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.