Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Salutations from Central California

975 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  jnor 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, finally made an account after perusing the forum for the last 8months. I bought an 09 versys, 8 months ago, and it is my first motorcycle. I've put 10,000 miles on it and just swapped both sprockets and the chain. during a long 2k mile ride to Oregon I noticed the chain was loose, was feeling jerky power delivery, and heard what i thought was the loose chain clashing. While adjusting chain tension I finally noticed that with the clutch disengaged the wheel was still turning, and with the clutch fully engaged it was still making the awful sound, and had a strange jolt.
TL;DR
I think, in the course of 10,000 miles, I've damaged something by shifting a bunch while not fully disengaging the clutch. And im not sure what to do...
Anyhow, nice to be in the forum finally :hia:

#2 ·
:welcome:

#3 ·
...I think, in the course of 10,000 miles, I've damaged something by shifting a bunch while not fully disengaging the clutch. And im not sure what to do...
Anyhow, nice to be in the forum finally :hia:

I have two Vs, w/ about 82,000 miles between 'em. Except for the 1st to 2nd gear changes (UP or DOWN), I RARELY pull in the clutch lever to shift, and have done it that way for years. UNLESS you haven't released throttle pressure when you're shifting, I don't think you've hurt anything.

:goodluck:

#8 ·

I have two Vs, w/ about 82,000 miles between 'em. Except for the 1st to 2nd gear changes (UP or DOWN), I RARELY pull in the clutch lever to shift, and have done it that way for years. UNLESS you haven't released throttle pressure when you're shifting, I don't think you've hurt anything.

:goodluck:[/QUOTE/]

Thanks for quelling my fears.

Seems to be alright, although its kind of always clunked changing between 1st and 2nd. Changed my back sprocket to a 44T and it feels like a new bike, although it doesnt feel like I can pop a wheelie in first anymore :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.