Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Rear lights wiring pickup point for lighting a rear top case

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 · (Edited)
Model :- USA 2009 Kawasaki Versys 650

I installed an A-1 Trunk rear topcase that also provides brake lights, turn lights & connection cabling and wire color details

I looked at both repair & user manuals but am unable to figure out where I can capture these wiring connections best, coming off the bike. Looks like I will have to cut into a harness as I see no connectors. Which is OK but I do not want to have to cut at many places. I would think there would be a connector that connects the rear lighting harness to a main harness or something ? I should be able to pick up outputs near there ???

Can someone tell me the best place I can cut into near the rear if possible especially the (frame) ground connection ?

I am not looking for instructions as to what color wire is what...that I can figure out (Unless you know it as well... LOL) but am more looking for suggestions as to how best to do this wiring job.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you so much leftykefty

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
There aren't any auxiliary connectors, so you'll just have to tap into the factory wiring. I'd do so on the "light side" of the connections, just because I'd rather not mess with the main wiring harness side. You can ground anywhere on the frame that you can get a solid ground (make sure paint or other gunk isn't inhibiting your ground).

There are a couple different type of "T" connectors you can use to tap into the factory wiring without having to cut anything.

#3 ·
I'd do so on the "light side" of the connections,

Smart thinking

There are a couple different type of "T" connectors you can use to tap into the factory wiring without having to cut anything.

I understand, but any idea of the exact location where the "light" side connector plugs into main harness connector ? Answer such as below the seat to the left, near the such and such or whatever. It is not clear in the manuals.

Thanks much

leftkefty

#5 ·
Thank you Capn Kirk. Yes I found them but not exactly under the seat but a little behind the end of the seat . There are 3 connectors, 1 each for left & right turn signals & one for rear / brake light.

So you work for BackOff ? LOL Anyway I will consider the Back Off product but may not have not helped me i may last & only accident (when I was the driver) in my many years of riding. (Some guy pulled up from behind another car & rear-ended me. I was thrown into the windshield and then forward to the ground. Had a severely hurt right knee , micro-fracture in left arm and bruises on both arms & legs & chest, as I was wearing shorts & polo-shirt but had helmet on. ) .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.