Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Lifting the Versys

27K views 46 replies 29 participants last post by  clivecoo 
#1 ·
Anyone lifted their "V" with one of those motorcycle lifts that Harbor Freight sells? If so, got a picture?
Thanks.
Ed:huh:

#4 ·
I have one like that works great you just have to install the spindles onto the back by the rear tire it works great for lubricating and cleaning. The type that have a jack on them that slide under the frame and are jacked up will not work the exhaust is in the way.

#6 ·
I'm all about using what I have. I use my smaller set of jack stands for the V. The right side slips under the peg with a little lift to top out the suspension while the bike is on the side stand. Then just lift the bike and slide the other one under the left peg. Removing the bags is a must and bag racks give more handholds for lifting. The rear wheel is between two and three inches off the shop floor and the bike is level in these pictures.

Dan

#11 · (Edited)
Its on back order until the end of the this, month, I ordered mine beginning of Sept and still haven't got it yet. I just punched the number in on Harborfreightusa website and it couldn't find it. I had to phone order in when I got mine, suggest you try the same. 99701-0VGA is the item number. Maybe its off their site until they get them in stock?

Low Profile Rear Motorcycle Spool Stand
Smooth rolling wheels and extended grab handle for extra leverage allows stand to be easily used by one person
Completely lifts rear of motorcycle for changing a tire, tightening the chain, servicing brakes, or changing oil
Ideal for motorcycle storage to prevent flat spots on tires
Width adjusts from 10-1/2" to 14" to fit a wide variety of swing arm sizes
Maximum capacity: 1000 lbs.
Use with our Paddle Adapters (sold separately) to convert to a rear swing-arm stand

Overall dimensions: 26-7/8" L x 17-5/8" W x 13-9/16" H
Weight: 6.49 lbs.

ITEM 99701-0VGA

Machog

#13 ·
Unknown Lift

I picked up this paddock stand at my Kawi dealer for $100 CDN plus $20 for the spools. It looks like a Brand-X. The only thing I found in the box to identify it is a sticker that says Road Pak Pro. I tried looking on the internet for it but couldn't come up with anything.

It's too bad because it's a really a good stand. You can see it's got four large rubber wheels (not hard plastic) and large size metal tubing. The stand is real easy to use and get the bike up on. The stand can also convert from using spools to lifting the bike by the swing arms.

The bike is really stable on the stand and I found I can move the bike around the garage while it's on the stand. Anybody seen one like this?

#15 ·
Check out scottscyclevstand on you tube

I have a demo of a stand I build. One tough stand, which also includes spools, you will see how easy a rear swingarm stand works to lift the rear tire up from the ground. I also make adapters that fits in the same stand, and lifts the front wheel up too. The rear must always be in place before ever attempting to use a front stand, thus two stands and the adapters are neccessary to lift both wheels up. The front tire cannot be taken off, as the cradels of the lift, do not allow for axel removal. The use of the front stand is for storage and cleaning. Check it out on You Tube, scottscyclevstand

#21 ·
Great setup!

Man, I like that one. I have the paddock stand from Harbor Freight and it works fine, but I'd like to have something that will lift the bike completely from the floor if possible. I was thinking about modifying one of the Pit Bull type of lifts, but your idea may save me a lot of money.

Harbor Freight has some great deals on lifts of all varieties. I like the one that lifts the entire bike about 3 feet - that would be a sweet setup for saving your back when you're detailing the bike. It's $299 - not bad, but it still doesn't get the wheels free. Minimum height is only 7.2 inches, so getting the bike aboard shouldn't be too hard. I'd put something alongside to put my feet on when loading or unloading the bike. Without it, you'd have a long stretch to reach the floor for balance.

Then there is this one for $199. It gets the entire bike up in the air, and the modifications that you made to the jack that you used ought to work with it too. It has a capacity of 1,100 lbs. and lifts up to 30".

Here's something that looks promising to me. I know a guy that uses a setup like this to work on bikes, but I don't remember what sort of attachment he uses. I like it because it would also be handy for other projects, such as pulling engines from cars, etc. $164.99 with a one ton capacity.
Specs:
* Boom extends from 36-1/4" to 50-1/4"
* Crane height adjusts from 82" to 94"
* Clevis grab hook with safety latch
* Double ball bearing swivel casters

What I like about DallasDon's design is that it shows that we don't have to be limited to expensive special order products - all it takes is a bit of imagination and inventiveness.

#22 ·
Never thought of using my cherry picker.
If you've ever seen the adjustable rack
for pulling engines, it could probably be
easily adapted. Uses a screw to move
the end hooks back and forth to balance
the engine or even tilt it. Think of the
rig used to lift those horses for that
Russian Empress, Catherine the Great?
Something like that...

#23 ·
harbor Freight lift

Well, I've had this project on the back burner for a long time, but it's finally a reality. I made an adapter for the harbor freight lift that will get both the front and rear off the ground for maintenance (wheels and tires). By lifting at the pegs, only the back end comes up. There is a good jack point at the front fork. Take a look and you'll see what I mean. I put some cuts and welds in a piece of 1 1/4" pipe so I could bend it around the radiator. This works well, but it's a little difficult to get under the muffler so I put the tires on a couple of pieces of 2X6 to get a little more clearance before sliding the lift under it. Hope you guys like it.

Attachments

#25 ·
I saw that one and considered making it but I don't quite understand how it works. How does it get both ends of the bike up in the air? Also, how does it lift the bike? Or, do you lift it by hand and then put the bar through it?

#26 ·
the procedure

I had one of these made for me. the top bar is removable. you remove the plastic side covers, with the top bar removed from the stand, slide the frame under the engine, line up the top of it with the frame holes, slide the top bar thru one end of the stand, thru the frame, into the other end of the stand, clamp it with the bolts in the stand, roll the bike forward by hand. the bike will rest lightly on the front tire. if you need to remove the front wheel, you need to prop up that end of the bike.

#28 ·
Motorcycle stands.

I got the one from Harbor Freight. Works great. Use two 10mmx50mm fine thread bolts as spindles. Was $ 40.00 incl. shipping. They did not have the spindles but the bolts work fine. I will get a second one and make cup adapters for the front. I will put 10mm buttonhead screws into the spindle threads so no dirt will get in the holes
Does hardly take any effort to lift. Also it is alumenum so it won't rust.
They are built to hold 700 pounds.

#29 ·
Too late now

After seeing the remarkable quality of the
T-Rex front jack, I really wish I'd opted to
spend the extra ten bucks for the rear
instead of the Harbor Freight one. The
T-Rex spindles also double as sliders in
the unlikely event the V goes down.

Sure is nice to finally get the back wheel
up for cleaning and chain maintenance
though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.