Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Heidenau K73 SuperMoto tire review

40K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  kvman50 
#1 ·
My local dealer (2nd Gear MotoSports in New Westminster) has these tires (Heidenau K73 SuperMoto) in stock and they immediately caught my eye as they are very aggressive looking. After talking with the owner and the mechanic, I decided to put them on my 2008 Versys. I was never fond of the stock tires and didn't trust the rear at all. Weird profile/feel.

I have had these tires for about one month and so far am loving them. They are stock sizes 120/70X17 and 160/60X17 and have a very rounded profile. They are very light feeling and the bike leans very consistently and smoothly. The tires are a little knobby feeling at very low speeds but that disappears when you get going a bit faster. The weather here in Vancouver is cool and wet and this is where I think these tires will excel. I have been in a few nasty rain rides the last month and the bike feels great. Stable and good traction. Great progressive feel when leaning over and confidence inspiring.

I am told I should get good mileage out of them, but am not sure does that mean 7000km or 15000km. With the weather being so cool, I expect pretty good mileage. Not sure about when the weather is hot, but I will probably require new tires by then.

These tires have more rubber whiskers from the mold than I have ever seen on any other tire. I spent a fair amount of time with a razor blade cutting some off, but there must be 1000 per tire. Looks kinda scruffy! I haven't even tackled the front tire yet.

So far, two thumbs up!
Dave

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Nice tire KV. I called 2nd gear a few months ago and sent an e-mail about these tires. At that time they didn't have them in or couldn't get them. I should have waited. Mind me asking what you paid?

#9 ·
...These tires have more rubber whiskers from the mold than I have ever seen on any other tire. I spent a fair amount of time with a razor blade cutting some off, but there must be 1000 per tire. Looks kinda scruffy! I haven't even tackled the front tire yet....
Don't cut those off- RIDE them off!
YES X 2!

:yeahsmile:

#10 ·
I'd love to ride them off... don't know if you guys realize it's winter, cold, wet, etc. The lean angles just aren't as good in the winter. I think I paid about $370 Canadian including mounting, balancing, taxes, environmental levy, etc. They did all the work... I just dropped the bike off.

#11 · (Edited)
Great tires indeed, you can read some updated review about them here:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?p=218497&postcount=112

I think the front should last 10000km, the rear about 5000km if mild to cold weather.
And for canadian customers I bought mine here:
http://www.petes-superbike.com/english/motrcycles/tires/by-brand/heidenau/k73-super-moto.html
It's the only place I found that sold them, and price was quite decent. If I remember well, I think with shipping the set was about 320-340$...

#12 · (Edited)

Went for a ride today...as you can see winter is around the corner here too hehe
These Heidenau K73 tires are just so awesome, even had fun on snow covered frozen dirt...

Now these aren't studded tires and I wouldn't speed in icy twisties...but in the snow you can have a lot of fun!! And they are very confidence-inspiring on the road even when you hit a bit of snow, dirt, salt, water...There's no way my bike would have stayed up all day had I kept the stock tires on.

#15 ·
Are you sure pressure is normal? These are the fastest turning tires I have ever tried on any bike. I remember the first time I rode off with these on I almost dropped the bike on the side in the first turn as I wasnt expecting it to lean so easily! On top of that they have excellent grip on pretty much any surface. So if you feel they are slow turning or drifting, either you're tire pressure is way too low, or there's something else wrong...

#16 ·
pressure is fine. turns Hard and SLOW and THEN falls into corner. Tires are very square compared to stockers which I never had issue with even down to 22 degrees F and 1/4 inch chicken strips.

Maybe tech messed with my fork settings, could that result in what I am describing?

#17 ·
Did you have your forks adjusted at the same time as your tires changed, if so then yes it can affect handling noticeably...
Cause really these tires on my 2011 versys makes it handle like a bicycle, I'd say handling is about 30% lighter then with stock tires. The only time I felt the symptoms you described my air pressure was low (on my MT-01) and the middle of the tire was cuping, though it would not fall into corners, I would have to push hard to lean and it would always try to stand back up and go in a straight line.

Your tires look exactly like these right?

And what tires did you have right before putting the K73s on?

#19 ·
It's in the cold shed (winter almost over here) so my pressure wouldnt be a reference, but they put the recommended tire pressure when they installed them. If tire pressure was low to the point of explaining the poor handling I think it would be visible to the eye or my touch. But maybe just go back to where you had them installed, cause really what you are experiencing, certainly isnt normal with these tires and this bike.

#21 ·
I have to agree with Kawa007 that these tires are exceptional and very reliable. Whatever is going on with your bike, I doubt it's the tires. I run 32 psi front and 36 rear. I am now at 1600 km and still think they are fantastic. The weather this winter in BC has been brutally wet, so not getting as much riding as I'd like. But tomorrow is going to be dry and mild - maybe sunny! Gonna ride to work and back and probably buzz around before dinner and get my bike fix. Daylight savings time is coming this weekend so will give us a bit of time after work in the daylight for a ride. Have fun!
Dave

#22 ·
These come in stock Versys sizes so it looks like there is an off road alternative now to the Scorpion Trails. Interesting these are labeled super moto race tires by the manufacturer which makes me think they are made from a very soft rubber compound, like all other race tires are, that will wear faster than normal. Never used them though.

#23 ·
Finally got the salt off the roads and the versys back out.
First step, I went back to base line suspension settings front and rear. Result was improved handling but still off.
Second, stiffened up the rear a little to raise it. Result again small improvement.
Last, Increased front and rear tire pressure from 32psi to 40psi. Result... the bike now handles great!

I've never liked running that much pressure in a bike tire, but that was the key with these. Maybe it's the "supermoto tire" thing? Designed for lighter bikes so you have to air them up for the verys? Don't know but I am very glad I got the bike sorted once again.

I will report back on wear, as the season progresses.

#25 ·
Just mounted a set of these on my versys this week.

First impressions- a whole bunch of awesome. Grip on pavement, gravel and dirt are much improved. Gravel traction is much much better than the street tires.

These also stick like glue on pavement. So much so that I'm not expecting much for life. 9800 miles on the bike now, I'll post the life as they go.

#26 ·
I just checked my log book, 2000km on them, the front is like new, the rear is about 50% gone. I might be able to get 5000km out of the rear, probably easily 10000km in front. I'll be switching to PR2 for this summer, as these are superb for cold to mild temperatures, but I had a little fun in the twisties the other day and when being agressif for a while they seem to get too warm and the rear starts feeling a bit loose (which makes sens since these are intended as rain race tires). Will still use these for early and late riding season as they are the best for that.

#27 ·
Update on my Heidenau's... Just had to replace the rear tire at about 6,000 km. I might have got another 1,000km but I'm heading on a trip and wanted excellent rubber. In those 6,000km, most of it was commuting, a fair amount was in the rain, and probably almost 2,000km was carrying my wife. Together we are probably over the GVW, but all was good. I may have run pressures too low - now I run 36 /40 psi. There was no squaring off of the tire, front looks good for another good run - maybe 6-10,000km. I put the same tire on because i loved the feel. Great on the street, wet or dry and not bad in the gravel. Installed price went up - probably because I only did one tire, not the set. Maybe next set will be something different as most of my riding is on the street and more mileage would be nice. I don't really care, but my wife does... Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.