Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Custom Beak for Versys

158K views 229 replies 68 participants last post by  Fastoman 
#1 ·
#28 ·
Won't know landed USA cost until the shipping logistics are figured out, and that depends if it is a bulk shipment or one at a time to each buyer

You guys should get together for a group buy. If I had some idea of quantity I could give you a landed price. Think in the region of 125 USD painted flat black - cheaper if gel coat

My bike is a 2011 and we do not have any earlier versions in Thailand. All I can make is what I know fits my bike.

#198 ·
I have looked through the forum quite a bit now looking for a place and a price for these beaks. I got the honda pxc150 front grill assembly and havent put it on yet because I dont want to make any alterations knowing that i really want one of there fine lookin' beaks that dont require any changes to the original plastics. Forgive me if I am beating a dead horse here, but the facebook link in this post doesn't take me anywhere and the is so much information and posts/threads on beaks that my head is starting to spin just trying to find a place to buy one. I think whoever made these did an awesome job and really helped the V have a finished look. That said, I want mine lookin' like that!

#30 ·
Sorry to hear about that hoghead...

#38 ·
It is a 3 piece affair, the beak itself and 2 side panels to blend into the stock anteater nose.
Reversible no problem

Will post a pic when back from my ride next week as off in the morning

My bike is 2011 maroon but I thought to either do it in flat black to match the other plastic bits (mine is all blacked out) or completely repaint the bike incorporating some spiffy graphics on the beak.
I think flat black for now as it is riding season in Thailand, and will do a complete paint makeover in rainy season which summer in N. America

No problem to post one to Oz

#43 ·
After 6 weeks, one of the Malaysian Vendors finally came through and I just received one of these Malaysian made beaks. Unfortunately is is a steaming, ill fitting, POS.

Nothing fits properly, especially the big uneven gaps where the new side pods blend into the stock anteater nose. The beak portion is flimsy, unsupported, and cantilevered off the side pods. Brackets are flimsy, shoddy, and IMHO just not up to long term use and vibration.

To my knowledge there are 3 Vendors and perhaps they are all not like the one I got, but that is it for me and ripped off once, twice shy

A total waste of money (200 USD landed at my door in Thailand) and the Vendor is taking the typical SE Asian attitude of 'very sorry but no returns". Sorry for what - knowingly selling something that is not proper, or ripping me off?

It has pissed me off so much that I am now using this useless POS as a basis to do it right. It is now all cut up, and fibreglassed in place on my bike so that it fits, and the final body work is being done now, so that a proper mould can be made.

I hope to be able to offer the Versys community a proper product that I use on my own bike around Christmas time.

#45 ·
Got the side panels made now and I think I may just forgo the beak on my own bike and go with this anteater nose solution.
It is not finished and still needs a bit of work for a really good mould, and some quality brackets, but this is just about there.

Most likely will paint it red to match the anteater nose, although black is also OK.

On to the beak section tomorrow for those that really want a beak

Attachments

#52 ·
Hoghead, seems like you've gotten the older version instead of the improved version. The older one uses some metal bar to hold it in place while the newer one mounts direct to the body plastics using bolts and drilled holes. Take a look.

#53 · (Edited)
The Malaysian design Rev1 used a wimpy bit of plumbers strap to the filler piece alone, and the beak bolted to the filler. Not an ideal design

I thought of bolting the filler piece to the existing body work as shown in the white example of Malaysian Rev 2, but I am not keen at all on cantilevering this entire fibreglass part with an overhanging beak off the existing ABS bodywork. I am also not convinced that this ABS to Fibreglass bolted connection will stand up over the long term with vibration and shock.
The existing body work is not exactly designed nor mounted to take the additional weight of a heavy fibreglass part hung off the front- time will tell I guess

I think that a more secure independent mounting will be better with vibration, and am bolting the beak to the filler piece as you show in Rev 2, with a proper bracket coming off the headlight framework at the beak to filler interface. Another long bracket, using the same pick up point, will come off both sides of the headlight framework to support the leading edge of the beak The trailing edge of the filler piece is mounted to the bike frame using an aluminium bracket - not as clean looking, or inexpensive, as bolting to the stock ABS body work, but I believe more reliable

Will post some new pics when the mould work is done

This "improved" Rev 2 version still does not fit very well. Note the beak to filler fit and how the body lines are not carried through on the new bits

#54 · (Edited)
This is the first versys in our country that inspired the "beak" thing.

i am not sure if he had fabricated the whole piece with fiber or he merely bolted the beak to the stock plastics and paint over it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.