Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Thoughts on Honda's new CB500x

25K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  MotoCyclist 
#1 ·
http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cb500x/colors.aspx

I currently ride a 07 EX500 Ninja. I have been riding since Late September, so I'm still very much a new rider. Only have about 1000 miles on the bike.

I have been in love with the Versys since before I bought the EX500. Opting for the EX for two reasons really. First; not many Versys around here. I saw none local during the time I was looking. Second; the tall seat height(I wear a 30" inseam).

I've been enjoying the 500 Ninja. The power feels adequate. Very easy bike to ride overall. My only complant is that I don't care for the riding position. It's still leaned over more than I would like. I would like an upright position where as the EX500 is still a bit leaned forward. The problem with this, is that I get a good amount of pain in my right thumb after about 45 minutes of riding.

I do not commute. I ride only paved roads so far. I really only get a chance to ride on the weekends or sometimes if work is slow during the day here and there. These rides are generally only a couple of hours or so. However, I would like to start taking some longer rides on the weekends. Maybe wake up on a Sunday morning and ride to a destination a couple of hours away and then come back. Do some geocaching, or maybe even take the bike to some National forest roads at some point(This would be nice, but still I would be mainly riding on pavement.)

I also need something I can put some panniers or hard cases on. Having no storage sucks and I get tired of wearing a backpack just to cary a trivial amount of anything.

I bought the Ninja thinking I would ride it for a year and then replace it. The new Honda 500x should be in dealerships by July 2013, and I would likely wait a little while longer still to buy it if I go that direction. Looks like the price will be around $6k.

At this point I really think that ABS is an important feature. I don't understand why it's not available on the Versys. I do practice panic braking in a parking lot near my home frequently, but realize that in the moment of panic it's quite likely to just grap a handful of brake. ABS may save me. If I'm going to get a new bike, I can't really see not wanting ABS. ABS should be available on every bike.

I know the Ninja 650 has ABS option but seems like it still is leaned forward more than I would like. The seat height seems perfect for me though. But then it would be ill suiting for the forest roads idea.

What other bikes should I be considering? Also the NC700x looks nice and has ABS option. I'm concerned about the engine though. I'm not a speed demon in any way, but I want the get up and go to be there if needed. I'm not terribly concerned with fuel economy(they're all gonna be better than my F150).

I STILL really love the Versys. If it were ABS there would be no question. Damnit Kawasaki, get your sh*t together!

See less See more
#2 ·
I have not seen a CB 500 up close yet.
But I like what I see in the brochures.
ABS should be an OPTION on bikes. As long as its an option.
Some want it some don't.
I don't and shouldn't have to pay for it if I do not want it.

#5 ·
To OP: have you thought about installing handlebar risers on the EX? Or changing the bar itself to something slightly higher? Almost any bike can be modified for better rider comfort. I bet few of us who have owned the Versys for any length of time haven't changed something to get it to fit us better. I've changed all the interface points: taller, wider bar, re-shaped seat, and lowered footpegs (I'm 6'2").

The EX is a great bike: very reliable, good performance, etc. It's almost got a retro vibe to it now too, which is cool. All you need is a bungee net to get the knapsack off your back and onto the passenger seat.

I guess the thing about ABS is you could have an equipped bike for 10 years and never have it activate, then the very next day it could save you from a crash. Personally I prefer the simplicity of non-ABS. I'd rather wear the gear and work on my skills (I can still say that after 15 years of riding).

#7 ·
I have a 30" inseam and my Versys with Speedy's lowering kit fits me like a glove. That being said, don't rule out a Versys... Trust me on this one...

Regarding the Honda CB500X... Click here for my opinion so far..

I will not knock a 500cc MC. They are quite capable machines. It is sharp looking from the photos. A test ride should provide you an answer.. For my use, including some freeway time I believe the 650+cc bikes are better suited. Around town and short sprints on the highway, a 500cc bike should do fine. I tend to like mid to small size bikes.

Your search sounds exciting! You have an open mind and a clean slate to begin! If you are wanting to take longer day trips, and you want to stick to the upright seating of a "standard" sporty bike, my advice would be to look at the Honda NC700X or the Versys. Keep in mind this advice is coming from a person who loves a ~700cc size bike for an all arounder.

#16 ·
Additional thoughts on legroom... I don't know the leg length of the demo rider on the Honda, but this is me on my Versys. I have 30" inseam. That being said, I know I would not like my feet that far back on the Honda.. Just an observation..

Capn,
Check out the Honda rider's foot placement in that photo though. His toes are on the peg, nowhere near the shifter. If his foot was even four inches more forward, that knee angle would be reduced by a good twenty degrees.
Just an observation...
:thumb:

#10 ·
I love the Versys. The lowering kit should work for the inseam issue.

I just want Abs. It's BS that Kawasaki doesn't offer it in the states.

As for addressing the comfort issues on my current bike, I night it to ride for a season then upgrade. It's going to be hard to shake that frame of mind.

The EX500 has available a 1" bar raising kit. I don't think that will be enough to achieve the position I want. It would be to in depth of a project on the particular bike to change the bars.

Ninja 650 ABS then change bars to achieve more upright seating?

The Wee Strom seems like a big bike to me, but does come in ABS. I would have to get some kind engine cowl cover to make the bike look okay. I'd imagine the size of this bike would make for a comfortable street ride.

I'm open to suggestions.

Wants:
ABS
Upright seating position
Fuel Injection
Storage options
Highway capable

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

#11 ·
I'm open to suggestions.

Wants:
ABS
Upright seating position
Fuel Injection
Storage options
Highway capable

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App
I test rode the Honda NC700X for over an hour. It meets all of your wants. I almost sold my Versys to get one. You are looking at ~$8999 for the ABS DCT Version. I had a deal set up for $8700 OTD.

http://powersports.honda.com/2012/nc700x.aspx

#18 ·
I'm gonna wait until the 500s are in stores. I need to sit on them a bit to get a feel. I also really like the CB500F styling as well. Maybe Kawasaki will decide to offer an ABS version of the Versys next year. Either that or I get used to the idea of not having it. I mean my current bike doesn't have it.

I'm not getting too serious about the next purchase just yet. I don't want to spontaneously pull the trigger and be wishing I'd picked a different bike. The only friends I have that ride are HD guys. I've never ridden with them though. I do have two uncles with Goldwings, but I've never actually seen them ride the bikes. I think they just bought them to keep in the garage!

I'm starting to think that there isn't one bike that would suit all of my needs. I'm sure no one else has ever had this issue, right?

I still want a standard seating, ABS, fuel injected bike that is responsive and easy to ride.

But I'm also falling in love with some of the customized Nightsters and Dynas I see on the net. Don't hate me for drooling over a HD!

#19 ·
To me, the CB500x is a really good idea, but I'm uncertain (obviously) as to how well they'll achieve their goals. It seems that it really should be lighter than it is (430) since it's "just" a 500. Once reviews of that engine start to get published, we'll see if that matters. ABS doesn't matter to me right now, so that's not a big draw.

It'll take a while for aftermarket parts like panniers, crash bars, etc to reach the market. And it'll take probably one or two year-model changes to tweak out any little issues. But I really like that Honda went this direction instead of another "GS Killer" attempt.

To xGunslingerx:
If I were in your shoes, not commuting, not on dirt, and like the twisties, I'd really look towards more of a sport-touring bike in the 600 to 800 class. Ninja 650, F800ST, FZ6, NT700, GSX650F, and on one. Or the Versys, of course (yeah, I'm ignoring ABS again).

But that's just me...

#24 ·
OP, you sound like a prime candidate for a WeeStrom.

My first bike was an EX500. I had it for 16 months, then bought a Versys. I rode that Ninja everywhere, including a solo 2,400-mile camping trip from D.C. to South Florida via the Blue Ridge Parkway. It handled the load and distance like a champ.

Anyway ... the Honda 500s and WeeStrom would work for you.

#27 ·
I'm starting to think that a two bike system will be best. A smaller, commuting, fun bike for me for the next couple of years to get more experience. Then get a larger touring bike that offers some real comfort for my wife. Honestly I don't think she will by into riding unless there are creature comforts for her.

I have 2 uncles with Goldwings. Perhaps after I get a bit more experience I can take a test ride and see what a bigger bike is like. There is a Victory Demo ride coming up in town next month. I'm thinking of dropping by to ride some bikes. I really have no experience on any bike other than the 250 cruiser in the MSF class and my ninja 500. Because of this, I really can't even decide for sure the type of bike I want.

The biggest turnoff for some of the cruiser type bikes are the lower seat height (as it affects visibility), but mainly it's the crowd I see riding them. I personally love some of the HD's(Nightster, Switchback), but don't want to be "in the HD crowd". I'm not much for the pirate costume. I will eventually just ride what I like, just gotta find out what that is.

Victory seems to have some mechanical advantages to the HDs. But that sound isn't there. When I sat on the bikes in the showroom, even the very large touring bikes felt very light. Must be a very low center of gravity. When I have sat on larger HD bikes at the dealership they felt much heavier.

Truthfully, it may be a couple to several years(read:whenever my wife gets on board) before I get a touring bike anyways. At this point I'll keep the focus on the smaller "for me" bike.

Versys is still my favorite. Only disadvantage is lack of ABS. I may just get over ABS. We'll see. Then again, maybe it will be available by the time I buy.

#29 ·
If overall you are happy with your Ninja 500, I would just add some handlebar risers and maybe some Givi luggage. In the future when you do decide to move up to a larger bike, you can take both the risers and the bags with you. You'll have to buy new mounts for the bags, though.

Even 1" handlebar risers can make a big difference.

Good luck,

#30 · (Edited)
The CB500X is an interesting bike. After all this time, Honda still hasn't provided an official US release date, although it is expected sometime this summer.

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-first-rides/first-ride-2013-honda-cb500x-review/22704.html

Most of the reviews I've seen have been fairly positive. Riding position is very similar to NC700X. Main difference is the engine. The NC700X engine is geared for plenty of low-end torque and low redline. On the other hand, the CB500 engine is fairly gutless down low, so you need to wind it out to make it go. In the end, it's a personal preference thing. Get the one that makes you tick. For mostly hwy riding, I think I'd prefer the NC700 engine as it runs significantly lower RPMs, so it may be less tiring after a while.

Also, the CB500X seat is about 1" lower than NC700X. Finally, the ability to get manual ABS version of CB500X is nice, too.

This guy compared the two...

#31 ·
It's funny that I saw this post, I sat on a 500 today. I didn't notice if it had ABS or not. It was priced at $5999. I was not familiar with the bike, but it looked good and felt good sitting on it I also sat on the 700, I don't think that I would trade my Versys. The 700 was around $7000.

#33 ·
I saw one at the dealer yesterday. It appears to be a nice bike and I was comfortable sitting on it (5’11”, 32” inseam). Taller than the 500F. One turn-off is the finish which is a black satin- which cannot be waxed according to the salesperson. I’m not sure how that finish would hold up in the S FL sun over time. Since I tend to keep bikes for a long time, that is be a deal breaker for me. Maybe they will add some other colors/finish soon. Good price though- $5999/$6499 w/ABS.

#34 ·
I'm guessing the sales rep is misinformed. I'm sure it's the same matte black Honda has used on other bikes, such as the 919. I'm pretty sure it still has the clear coat on top and can be waxed. I haven't seen the bike in person, so I'm just surmising.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.