Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Kawasaki Versys Hand Guards Install?

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  flak 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Normal tools with no problems. No need to move cables and whatnot.

There is loctite on the end weights but knowing that you just gotta use some more elbow grease. When I re-installed my end weights I used blue loctite.

#8 ·
Basic tools will do the job it's just a bit of a tight fit because of the stiff brake line thats a bit in the way. But well worth the effort, they feel solid and and are the best looking ones out there. I sprayed plastic dip on the inside of the bar ends to stop a vibrating noise the spacer would make inside it.

#10 ·
Dropped by bike the other day, with a full tank of fuel (trying to zip my jacket to my pants with one foot on the rear brake, not a good idea). The only damage on the bike is a scuff on my left handguard and it bent very slightly. I couldnt beleive it, the bike didnt touch the ground in no other area! My MT-01 fell to the ground after a gust of wind on it's cover and damages added up to 1100$. This is one tough little bike :)

#12 ·
Ok I got them on but I'm very unhappy right now.

Both inside mounting pieces and hex head screws stripped during the install. (That was a fun fix :mad: )I was using normal allen wenches with light hand power and I hadn't even got to torqueing them yet. Plus they didn't align properly no matter how I positioned them.

The guard shells and mounting hardware for the ends of the handle bars went on smoothly just the inside mounting hardware was trash.

Don’t know if I’d spend the money on these again.

They look good I guess that’s a plus.

Now I’m going to go on a test ride to see if they say on and in place.

#14 ·

^
l
l
l
Here is a crappy cell phone picture. I'm too mad to take a real one right now.

They stayed on during the test ride. I'm going to go to a local machine shop and see if I can't come up with a better solution for the inside mounting hardware in a few days.

#15 ·
I noticed the allen heads were soft on install, was my only gripe with em...plus I had to arrange the handlebar mounts differently on each side due to the cables...but that's not a big deal

that reminds me though that I need to source some replacement bolts as I don't have much confidence in the handlebar screws that came with it

I detected they both stripped a bit upon final tightening and I was using a hardened hex attachment on a 3/8" drive at the time, not a used up allen key

on the plus side, they look good and provide some extra insurance for protecting the controls in case the bike ever tips over

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.