Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Re-ignited passion for my Versys

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Fastoman 
#1 ·
I've had my Versys 650 from new since 2009, bought it new mainly for commuting - to work and back in fair weather only. In those three years of ownership I put on only 6000kms on the clock. Then two months ago a friend introduced me to an advanced riding school and subsequent track days (btw he rides a Ninja ZX10R so it was scary - still is) at the local track (Killarney in Cape Town). Now I'm fully hooked and enjoying my Versys to the limit (grinding pegs around the bends, etc). Now I'm looking to make the most of this awsome handling bike to make the most of the road and track.

#5 ·
Now I'm fully hooked and enjoying my Versys to the limit (grinding pegs around the bends, etc). Now I'm looking to make the most of this awsome handling bike to make the most of the road and track.
If I may offer one bit of advice, please remember there are some things we can do on the track, that we should not attempt out on the road. Sometimes it can be very tempting to dive into a corner a little bit faster, and a brake a bit later, because you know you can probably get by with it on the track. However, on the track, traffic is not coming at you, you don't need to worry about side streets, and the safety crew is usually on hand in the event things get a bit out of control. Not trying to preach here, just a gentle reminder.

#6 ·
Thanks for the advice. Don't get me wrong, though. I'm no maniac on the street. In fact I find I ride more relaxed and cautiously on the road after having done some laps on the track. This is because the track provides a more structured and safe environment to ride the bike to its fuller potential, as there is no other traffic (apart from other bikes all going in the same direction) and less unknowns to worry about. Hence on the road there is no urge to push the bike any further than allowed by the prevailing traffic and road conditions - i.e. that can be done on the track. Hope that makes sense...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.