Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

KLR vs VERSYS

168K views 392 replies 149 participants last post by  twowheeladdict 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just traded in my 2008 Versys for a 2009 KLR. There is no comparison in how much better the KLR is off road than the Versys. The 17 inch front on the Versys, the suspension travel, the exhaust & muffler location does not lend itself well to anything rough or slick. The final decision to let the Verys go was a very mild logging road I tried with the Versys. Go up a hill, the MT60 tires would lose traction, and the bike was swimming back and forth "swapping" on the way up. I had both feet down like skis coming back down after thinking...this bike is simply NOT AT ALL AN OFFROAD BIKE!

I have a loop I love to take on weekends, which I was told the Versys would handle. It consists of street, highway, gravel and dirt roads. In the dry, the Versys was good, except in the looser gravel. I found it unsafe to travel at any higher speeds (like 30 mph) in loose gravel. I was particularly careful about the line I would take, looking for the harder sections.

On the same ride with the KLR, I give up alot of power and speed accelerating on the road, but off road the KLR in MUCH better. Any speed is possible on the looser gravel sections, the bike tracks better, does not wander, and feels confident, like it was made for the terrain.

I took the KLR in the pitch black of night on the mild logging road I mentioned above and it was FUN!!! I wanted to do more of it. There is a reason they call the KLR a two-wheeled Jeep! It felt unstoppable on the rough terrain, where I would seriously cringed on the Versys, the KLR would just soak up larger rocks, losse terrain and want for more.

I really want to dispel the idea the Versys is at all an off road bike. There is no way I would take it on anything but a smooth, dry forest service road. If it is wet and muddy, forget it. Kawasaki does not market the Versys as an off road bike, and they are entirely correct in this. That is why they offer the KLR/KLX series.

I was on long street ride on the Versys when I first bought it, and there were logging roads I wanted to explore, but it was very wet, and I wasn't confident in how the bike would get me back if the going got rough. Now, with the KLR I will explore any road I come across, paved or not.

I hope this helps anyone considering these machines!

Andrew

See less See more
#149 ·
Awesome motorcycle! I have thought about doing that with my 250 dual sport. Put a Ninja 250 motor in there.

I had no issues with the '08 KLR. I replaced the Ninja 650 with the Versys and realized that it handled most of the roads I used the KLR on. My neighbor wanted the KLR so I let him buy it. I still get to admire it without having to maintain it.

#153 · (Edited by Moderator)
RepsolRider's bike. He did a really nice job, build and finish quality is first rate. When I finally decided to seriously look into doing this swap I did a google search for pictures of a Versys motor to get dimensions and the first thing I found was his thread on the advrider forum. That was proof enough that it could be done and the following day I purchased my donor bike and got started. I did borrow a few ideas from his bike, the forward exhaust routing and the fuel pump can. Check it out if you like. He put up a lot of pictures.

#158 ·
I met up with Fritz in Mason, Tx last Saturday while he was on his way back from Moab. I was on my R1100GS, we swapped bikes for about 40 miles of highway and it was great as it just ate up the miles. It was hard to understand that I was on a KLR (I love KLR's) with that motor. Great bike and thanks for letting me ride it.

#160 ·
Update

Thought I post up a few recent pictures. It's a bit more finished than the previous pictures. Now has a custom skid plate, luggage, 320mm front rotor, Progressive rear spring/shock, Progressive front springs, a power commander. Ready for travel. I rode it from San Antonio to Moab, rode the white rim trail and rode back. It did great, no problems. If I could keep it at 70 or below I would get 55mpg, but it's plenty happy doing more.

I added a Rostra cruise control. Love it. Relatively easy connection to the the Versys wiring.

Riding the WRT.

I'm currently working on KLRsys II. A 2nd gen 09 KLR with another 09 Versys powertrain.

#164 ·
KLRsys

Very nice build up! I'm particularly interested in your installation of the Rostra cruise control as I could not find much current info. I've had one sitting on the shelf for over a year and any help (wiring tips) you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks

#165 ·
Very nice build up! I'm particularly interested in your installation of the Rostra cruise control as I could not find much current info. I've had one sitting on the shelf for over a year and any help (wiring tips) you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks
I be happy to help. I need to dig around and see if I made notes but I can always look at my bike. I'm going to be doing another one in a month or so and I need to figure it out anyway. If you have specific question it would help. Which switch control do you have?

#173 ·
Serious offroading, probably not, But i've taken the V, on the stock tyres, offroad, through the woods, through a creekbed, and back home with no issue, the only thing i'd change is muffler location. And i've hit 70 MPH on "loose gravel"
The V is a very stable chasis for mild- moderate offroading... If you want to carve trails and go mudding, buy a street legal dirt bike, but don't tell me the V can't go exploring :D

#175 ·
Hah especially the KLR 250... by far the worst dirtbike I have ever ridden, and i'm a kawi guy lol. As far as real offroading i'm the guy who takes the race bike trail riding :D Yz426F race 4 stroker Yamaha lol

#178 ·
FWIW, Kawasaki categorizes the Versys with sport bikes (like Ninjas) not with dual purpose bikes (like the KLR). The 17" wheels, sport tires, and low mounted exhaust should dispel any thoughts that it was designed to be an off road bike. It's great for exploring back roads and unpaved roads, as many people here will attest, but where there are no roads there are better choices.

Ride what you like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.