Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

GPS question

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  offcamber 
#1 ·
So I have a Garmin 1390t that my wife got me for automobile use, and have a couple questions.
1) Can you use a car GPS on a bike (with a weather proof box?)? Or would I be better off with a motorcycle specific GPS? Is there such a thing?
I HAVE used the GPS on other bikes (briefly) by just putting them in a tank bag.
2) The GPS has bluetooth, but I've never used it, my car and phone don't have bluetooth. Would a bluetooth helmet (or headset) be compatible with this, or is this something different?
3) The couple handlebar mounts (with boxes) I've looked at were ridiculously expensive, like as much as the GPS itself. What are some other solutions?

#3 · (Edited)
1) Yes but.... You will need to protect it and the power supply if it rains, the screen may not work with your gloves on, and may not be bright enough, if you mount it in a box you can't use the menu when you ride, it may be less shock proof than a motorycycle GPS. Basically motorcycle GPS units come with mounting hardware, are more shock proof and are water proof. They also usually have screens that work with gloved hands and brighter screens. The best GPS mounting solution i've come across is the Speedies GPS mount for the Versys.

2) yes

3) http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21086

#4 ·
I've put over 40,000 miles with my Nuvi 765 on my bikes. It was $125 delivered and has stereo MP3 player, bluetooth, FM transmitter, etc. I can be difficult to see in the daylight, but using the voice prompts is nice. I use the Sena bluetooth headset to sync with it.

Use RAM mounts

Use a ziplock bag for when it rains.

#6 ·
I installed my first "auto" GPS 50,000 miles / 3 years ago. It was a Garmin Nuvi 265WT.....I ride with the GPS everyday. About a year ago I changed out the Nuvi 265WT for a Nuvi 1450 LMT, the "L" as in lifetime maps and it does routes. The 265 has bluetooth, I installed a bluetooth setup in my helmet, but I never felt the need to have the GPS talking to me...it is always on mute anyway.

Speedy Dash mount with Ram Ball cradle and mounts. Dedicated 12V-5V powersupply off of my aux harness.

I use a waterproof map pouch to slide over the GPS for riding in the rain and I cover the GPS unit with a small black waterproof stuff sack when parked to keep it out-of-sight-out-of-mind of passers-by.

The 265 still works, the map was 2 years old and it wasn't cost effective to buy a map update....so I told myself to get the "route" capability with the 1450.

Both GPS's have always worked with gloves, summer weight to winter/waterproof gloves. My smartphone needs the capacitance thread or buttons in the glove fingertips to work.

I consider the GPS an essential part of my bike and the free feature of being able to download your rides from the GPS tracks is a great way to save your rides.

#7 ·
, I installed a bluetooth setup in my helmet, but I never felt the need to have the GPS talking to me...it is always on mute anyway.
It keeps you from having to look at the GPS which takes your eyes off the road and potential hazzards. Kind of like having a navigator with you telling you when to turn instead of just holding the map up for you.

#8 ·
With a high mount of the GPS unit (above speedo) you don't really need bluetooth/voice directions. A car GPS in a waterproof box is feasible for sporadic use, but in the long run, you will get annoyed by charging wires, and the additional time to mount/dismount it.

The device in twowheels' link comes with an "active" cradle: Just slide the GPS unit in, and it's connected to the power, and won't fall off.

#9 ·
Automobile GPS's with bluetooth are usually set up to receive but not transmit bluetooth....what I mean is they are not configured to be used with a headset. Motorcycle units generally are setup that way.

A way around it is if you get a Bluetooth dongle like a Sena SR10 and your GPS has a headphone jack you can make it work that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.