Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Yellow Beam of Light

312K views 1K replies 64 participants last post by  stlee29 
#1 ·
Hi V Bikers,

DIY a yellow spot light below the headlights.
Cost US$ 5 for the spot light (55W).
Got my wireman to do the wiring. Fixed a relay to avoid frying anything. Cost US$ 10. (I suck with electric wiring).
Fixed it with the low beam light. Work well at night giving more light and a distinct white over yellow beam. Works well in the rain, too.
Working on a case for the spot light.

Best Regards.

See less See more
#776 ·
Thank you

Your frank assessment of the looks gave me quite a chuckle while having my coffee. I didn't spill anything on myself so I won't have to sue anyone or anything. :D

#4 ·
I agree that the front end tack-ons look terrible, but the grey re-sprayed side cover looks really good. Did you do the tank as well?

1) It looks like the yellow lamp's housing may impinge upon the light pattern for the high beam? Did you check that?

2) I might have considered trying to find a pair of amber driving lamps instead the centrally mounted one.

#5 ·
Hi Friendlyfocus,

The V OEM colour was plasma blue. Sprayed my cowlings grey after a crash.

1. The high beam looks good, no problems for needed additional lighting.
2. I like this look having only one square amber light. I might bent the light
frame to a 60 degree angle to give it a nicer look.

It's work in progress but Thanks for the feedback.:thumb:

#8 · (Edited)
Hi Bicyclebob,

:thanx: to you and the Gang for your inputs/feedbacks.
Had bend the frame yellow frame down and it looks much nicer.
Trying to make a housing cover for it to look smart.

The yellow/amber light is 55W.
Took a ride in the dark last night and Loving it.:loveeyes:
What I like most is it's distinctive light for vehicles to notice before I overtake. :hia: Maybe I'll post pictures of it during night riding.

Best Regards.

#9 ·

Had bend the yellow spot light frame lower as much as it will go.
Realised that cars are moving away from my path earlier than usual, maybe they can see the yellow light better, I guess.

Anyway, with Glen Campbell Rhinestone Cowboy playing in my ears and more good music on the way, I am off for a short ride......

:thanx:

#11 ·
I have a hyper yellow bulb in my low beam. I do this on all my bikes with dual headlights. It gets way more attention that a regular bulb. This combined with my high beam flashing with a modulator really gets peoples attention. I only use the modulator in heavy intersections traffic but it has saved my butt a few times.

#14 ·
Had now fixed a cheap voltmeter and a switch to switch on/off the yellow/amber light.
Intend to switch off the spot light for startup and switch it back on when cruising on the freeway.
IMHO, it's good to have an onboard voltmeter to continuously monitor the battery's health. Better still those with the integrated gear indicator display.
http://londonbikers.com/news/3157/acumen-dgv-digital-gear-indicator-voltmeter

:cheers:

#15 · (Edited)
Tail light Flasher

Hi,

Installed a tail light flasher yesterday.
Flasher and fixing about US$ 8.
It is meant for car use.There are smaller flasher box units but this works fine on the V.

Instead of burning red continuously when braking, it now flashes to better attract the attention of those behind.

Take care, Ride Safe.

#18 · (Edited)
Hi There,

I'll decided to stick to 3 colours of plasma blue, silver and black.
Had spray my stebel (red) to black and it matches the other parts.
Had replaced my DIY radiator grill with a larger grill to cover the whole radiator.

Future plans:

1. 40L Hepco and Becker juniors hard bags. The 30L ones did not have enough space. Would have to be more careful now in lane spliting.
2. Rear hugger which I would like to spray plasma blue to match the petrol tank.
3. Clear turn indicator lenses which suits the bike nicer.

Best Regards.

#19 ·
Hi,

Had sold my HB 30L to a fellow V biker callsign Joebuck (Joe).
When onshore working (Joe works in the oil and gas on/offshore), he commutes about 360 km from home to work daily.
His V now has passed 40,000 km.

He rode over about 500 km with his wife to install the HB frame and fix on the hardbags at my place. After this, he rode back home as working tomorrow. Here's his ride to share.

My humble :thumb: of Joe's trusted V:
1. DIY chain luber which is a manual spuirt oil can which serves him superbly. The oil nipple spuirts at the rear sprocket as like the scottoiler.
2. DIY engine guard plus footrest
3. DIY topcase frame which could be used with HB hardbags.

:cheers: Joe.

#23 ·
Hey, function before form in my book. If it works for you, don't care what others think. I had a similar set up on the KLR 650 I'm trading in.

I also tried the similar approach on my BMW R1100 RSL. But it's in need of a custom bracket to mount under the headlamp.

#25 ·
G'Day Scarab,

Nice to know you. Have send you a PM.
Just got back from a short ride with Fastoman (Blue V) and Myred (Red V).
Had good fun. It was half wet and half dry.
Myred took many pics but I didn't. :sorry:

http://www.versysmalaysia.proboards.com/index.cgi?
Above is Malaysia V forum where we have a few Singapore members.

Congrats on your new coming V.....:welcome:

Best Regards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.