Ducati - Megafactory - National Geographic HD - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Member's Lounge > Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion

Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:29 PM

Default Ducati - Megafactory - National Geographic HD

My Farkles......http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20013
My Video Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/weljo2001?feature=mhee
My Photos...http://www.flickr.com/photos/54181788@N06/sets/

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 06:37 PM

Thx!!! I watched few days ago Pagani......art..
Old 01-15-2013, 08:04 PM

I want one!!
Old 01-15-2013, 10:12 PM

Cool video. It looks pretty nice, but I don't think I'd trade my Versys for it. I was thinking about that the other day- There really isn't any other bike I'd like to have more than my V! My friend has a ducati 796, and it's pretty amazing to ride every now and them. Have to hand it to them. I felt like I was riding a Ferrari engine with cowlings. The sound is soulful and unique, the power immense, and the sense of no bike underneath you uncanny.

That said I'm always happy to get back to my Versys

Last edited by goat12; 01-15-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:19 PM

Swapped rides onto a Duc Hypermotard a few years ago. WAY more power, but I felt that my V handles BETTER!

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 01-17-2013, 09:34 AM

Multistrada is molto bene!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:01 AM

After watching the rest of the video I was struck by something. Namely- It appears that this bike has something like 3 computer systems in it to accomplish the synchronization of its various functions. As an IT Systems Consultant my reaction is one of hesitation. I'm not too keen on relying on a bunch of potentially finicky, and assuredly expensive to fix or replace computers on a bike. I drive a 1966 Dodge Coronet 440, which, aside from the MOPAR electronic ignition and the radio doesn't contain anything resembling a computer. Owning and loving this car has taught me that when it comes down to reliability mechanical connections and systems are the way to go. That said it looks very nice, and I'm sure is fun; but in all honesty I wouldn't trade my Versys for it. Nope.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:12 AM

Your comment is interesting to me as I am also in IT - but my view is completely different. I am very happy driving my 2011 VW Jetta Sportwagen Diesel. It lets me get 40 - 47 MPG just like my versys by doing things that were not possible if it didn't have a computer. I love the fact that it has so many sensors and the computer spits out a code when something goes wrong. I don't have to disassemble half the engine to find out why the car is not running right. It also stops itself from completely self destructing if it senses something is terribly wrong (limp mode). It is sometimes wrong, but most of the time, it saves me time and money. The reliability of computer cirtcuit is also exteremely good. I would say 99% or more make it to the end of the car's life - that is if you don't muck around with it too much. They are expensive for sure, but not finicky (generally speaking).

In contrast, I fly a 1977 Cessna Cardinal that has magnitos, carborator and no sensors. I landed at Buffalo, NY because the engine was running rough - I had no clue why it was doing that and how long the engine is going to be alive. Took it to a mechanic after landing, he took out the magnitos put them on a bench and tested it - that wasn't it. He took out the sprak plugs (all eight) and found one bottom plug was fauled with a lead arc across it. If I had a computer that monitored the engine, he would have gone directly to the bottom cylinder 4 plug, pulled it out and put another one in and I would be back in business. So I went out and bought a nice electronic engine monitor that tells me what the cylinder head temp is, what the EGT is how much fuel I am burnig at any given time, etc.

My brother-in-law has a PhD in Physics and is really afraid to go flying with me. Yet I trust Bernoulli and Newton to go fly - and he knows their work much more in depth than I do.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:15 AM

Oh Weljo!

I don't want to get to technical here. Hell Yea!

I'm just thrilled to have a V. But if I had the dough I'd try the D.

Like I said before what a great time in history! All these awesome bikes and most of them really great quality! With up right ergo position!
Old 01-20-2013, 08:31 AM

I would love to have one if money was not an issue. With that said, I am not much of a mechanic and I would need to take the Ducati out of state to have it worked on. I have 2 bike shops in a town of 50,000 an a dealer that can work on my Versys. Like someone else said, I don't know of another bike out that I would trade my Versys for.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:21 AM

My cousin is a Ducati dealer in Italy, and he would give me one for his cost. mmmmm?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallhorn View Post
Your comment is interesting to me as I am also in IT - but my view is completely different. I am very happy driving my 2011 VW Jetta Sportwagen Diesel. It lets me get 40 - 47 MPG just like my versys by doing things that were not possible if it didn't have a computer. I love the fact that it has so many sensors and the computer spits out a code when something goes wrong. I don't have to disassemble half the engine to find out why the car is not running right. It also stops itself from completely self destructing if it senses something is terribly wrong (limp mode). It is sometimes wrong, but most of the time, it saves me time and money. The reliability of computer cirtcuit is also exteremely good. I would say 99% or more make it to the end of the car's life - that is if you don't muck around with it too much. They are expensive for sure, but not finicky (generally speaking).

In contrast, I fly a 1977 Cessna Cardinal that has magnitos, carborator and no sensors. I landed at Buffalo, NY because the engine was running rough - I had no clue why it was doing that and how long the engine is going to be alive. Took it to a mechanic after landing, he took out the magnitos put them on a bench and tested it - that wasn't it. He took out the sprak plugs (all eight) and found one bottom plug was fauled with a lead arc across it. If I had a computer that monitored the engine, he would have gone directly to the bottom cylinder 4 plug, pulled it out and put another one in and I would be back in business. So I went out and bought a nice electronic engine monitor that tells me what the cylinder head temp is, what the EGT is how much fuel I am burnig at any given time, etc.

My brother-in-law has a PhD in Physics and is really afraid to go flying with me. Yet I trust Bernoulli and Newton to go fly - and he knows their work much more in depth than I do.
I really enjoyed this post...
Old 03-14-2013, 05:33 PM

They removed it
Old 04-01-2013, 10:37 PM

It's here: "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDJ7mphGrAU"

When the Multi 1200 came out I was looking for a Duc. I took a demo ride on one and it was awesome, but somewhere north of $20,000. I found a 2004 Ducati ST3 with 5000 miles for $6000 that took care of my Italian jones. Glorious bike; it hangs with the superbikes and tours like a dream, but it's not real happy being used for commuting and shopping. Two weeks ago I bought a 2008 Versys for $3000 which does all the things the ST3 doesn't do, with a touring overlap.

Saved ~$11000!

BTW, I, too, was a computer geek; programmer/system developer and my thought is that both digital and analog systems can be either good or bad, but knowing too much about mechanics will keep you out of single engine airplanes!

Kate
Old 04-02-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
... but knowing too much about mechanics will keep you out of single engine airplanes!

Kate
UNLESS they have ZERO-ZERO ejection seats...!

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Sponsored Links
Advertisement