New Bike Fuel consumption - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Technical Discussion

Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Old 01-14-2013, 07:01 AM

Question New Bike Fuel consumption

Hello all,

I own a new versys (2011, was bought with 0 KM). in the past I owned a 2007 Versys (bought with 6000K).

With my old V i used to make a pretty constant 51.4 MPG - that's over 24K km (2up + a lot of luggage)

now with my new V i'm only doing 36 MPG - so far I've done 1100 km.

my mechanic is telling me that the high MPG is because the engine is still really new and stiff and has a lot of friction - he says "it's not loose yet".

does anyone have any experience with this or any insight to what I can do better - really appreciate it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 07:49 AM

For best mpg, you do indeed need a broken in engine

This being said, there's a big gap in the two milage ...

LOP
Old 01-14-2013, 08:10 AM

It's not broken in yet, and you now have winter gasoline and riding in winter conditions (Which country are you in?)... Is gearing and everything stock? Is your speedometer/odometer set to miles instead of kms?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:00 PM

My 2012 does around 60 UK mpg or 51 US mpg

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/maverickaus/versys
Old 01-15-2013, 11:04 PM

2007 Kawasaki 650 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
My 2012 does around 60 UK mpg or 51 US mpg

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/maverickaus/versys
Your getting good fuel consumption mate. I just checked that link out. What a good site.
Do you try to get good mileage or just ride it as a fun bike gets ridden generally?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow View Post
Your getting good fuel consumption mate. I just checked that link out. What a good site.
Do you try to get good mileage or just ride it as a fun bike gets ridden generally?
I just ride it

Where the consumption did drop was going up the Walcha ranges, what fun
Old 01-16-2013, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
It's not broken in yet, and you now have winter gasoline and riding in winter conditions (Which country are you in?)... Is gearing and everything stock? Is your speedometer/odometer set to miles instead of kms?
I'm in Israel - pretty good weather for riding year round. my 2007 V was when I was traveling in Australia. gearing and everything is stock out of the box.

any suggestions ?
Old 01-16-2013, 03:35 AM

Are your speedometer and odometer/tripmeters reading in kilometers? It could have been switched to miles instead.

Last edited by invader; 01-16-2013 at 03:41 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:49 AM

2007 Kawasaki 650 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
I just ride it

Where the consumption did drop was going up the Walcha ranges, what fun
I've only been on the Oxley and Thunderbolts up to there, to end up staying at Uralla and that was a hard fast run trying to stay with two guys leading the way both on Ohlins Blades. Never had so much fun with 2 guys I had just met on Bells Line of rd a few 4 hours before, we all rolled into town at the end of Thunderbollts to watch Highway Patrol heading South. That was a blind run to anywhere that day.. I'll bet you know some great rds near there too.. Bellingen brings back memories...
Old 01-16-2013, 03:53 AM

How is gasoline quality and octane level in Israel, compared to in Australia?

Last edited by invader; 01-16-2013 at 04:25 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:18 AM

2007 Kawasaki 650 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibonneau View Post
I'm in Israel - pretty good weather for riding year round. my 2007 V was when I was traveling in Australia. gearing and everything is stock out of the box.

any suggestions ?
How you ride has a fairly huge bit to do with it there mate... just ride it brother you'll get a feel for how it performs with economy..

There will certainly be a drastic difference depending on how hard you like to rev and ride the bike... they are for fun as much as plain old transport ...

Don't worry too much it will be about the same as most every other 650 Versys or even Kawasaki inline twin in the same build class.
They are a very generic engine in build and running inefficiencies and issues, bar the very odd one...
Nothing like old Blades or modified DR650's with exactly the same settings and modifications that will all be unique in running and efficiency..

Don't stress it mate you can get too hung up and worry yourself into all sorts of knots over nothing.. Just ride it and let it wear in then try some fuel efficient riding and compare that to hard riding.

No one can tell you how well your bike is running from a computer on the other side of the world regarding this one... but you can keep you own log from this cool site and monitor it yourself.
http://www.fuelly.com/

Go put some miles on it and have fun.

Last edited by crow; 01-16-2013 at 04:36 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:22 AM

2007 Kawasaki 650 Versys

Quote:
Haw is gasoline quality and octane level in Israel, compared to in Australia?
How would you compare it? Or I should I say how could the differences be compared by a rider who just fills his tank with whatever comes out of the pump other than an octane number

Last edited by crow; 01-16-2013 at 04:35 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow View Post
How would you compare it?
With information, data, and specs, perhaps?
Old 01-16-2013, 04:43 AM

2007 Kawasaki 650 Versys

Quote:
With information, data, and specs, perhaps?
Such as.. help this guy out.

Last edited by crow; 01-16-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:04 AM

No worries, crow... I'm just saying gasoline quality and octane level can affect ibonneau's fuel efficiency, seeing that we're comparing fuel mileage figures between Australia and Israel, depending on available and selected petrol.
We may just have to wait till she's broken in, and with new oil and clean air filter, etc.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:54 AM

Fuel quality and octane level are pretty much the same i would dare to say. I have a 97' KLR which is doing about 50-55 MPG on my usual rides.

I'm aware that riding style and conditions change MPG greatly - but I take notice of how I ride and even when going REALLY easy on the gas (under 110 km/h - no sudden "kickdowns" and such) the mpg is still bad - never over the 40 MPG.

Invader - it never even accrued to me the miles \ km option though very, very, very unlikely - is there a way to check that besides riding on a known length piece of road ?

I've never owned a new bike before, so I'm not familiar with the issues of breaking one in.

thanks for the replies - looking forward to learn some more
Old 01-16-2013, 08:19 AM

As long as you see "km/h" and not "mph" on your display, you're fine... In 'Odometer' mode while holding the 'Mode' button, you can switch from one to the other by pushing the 'Reset' button.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:32 AM

Normally here in the USA I get high-50s for mileage, but on my November ride to Death Valley, CA I got about 34 mpg riding from Las Vegas to Pahrump. That stretch was climbing, and INTO a QUITE HIGH head-wind, and at about 80 mph because it was COLD, and I wanted to get to a motel!

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 01-16-2013, 11:38 PM

The selection of octane ratings available at the pump can vary greatly from region to region.
Australia: "regular" unleaded fuel is 91 RON, "premium" unleaded with 95 RON is widely available, and 98 RON fuel is also reasonably common. Shell used to sell 100 RON petrol (5% ethanol content) from a small number of service stations, most of which are located in major cities (stopped in August 2008).[18] United Petroleum sells 100 RON unleaded fuel (10% ethanol content) at a small number of its service stations (originally only two, but it has now expanded to 67 outlets nationwide).[19][20] All fuel in Australia is unleaded.

Israel: 95 RON & 98 RON are normally available at most petrol stations. 96 RON is also available at a large number of gas stations but 95 RON is more preferred because it's cheaper and performance differences aren't very wide and noticeable. "Regular" fuel is 95 RON. All variants are unleaded.

United States: in the US octane rating is displayed in AKI. In the Rocky Mountain (high elevation) states, 85 AKI (90 RON) is the minimum octane, and 91 AKI (95 RON) is the maximum octane available in fuel[citation needed]. The reason for this is that in higher-elevation areas, a typical naturally aspirated engine draws in less air mass per cycle because of the reduced density of the atmosphere. This directly translates to less fuel and reduced absolute compression in the cylinder, therefore deterring knock. It is safe to fill a carbureted car that normally takes 87 AKI fuel at sea level with 85 AKI fuel in the mountains, but at sea level the fuel may cause damage to the engine. A disadvantage to this strategy is that most turbocharged vehicles are unable to produce full power, even when using the "premium" 91 AKI fuel. In some east coast states, up to 94 AKI (98 RON) is available.[26] As of January, 2011, over 40 states and a total of over 2500 stations offer ethanol-based E-85 fuel with 105 AKI.[27] Often, filling stations near US racing tracks will offer higher octane levels such as 100 AKI[citation needed].

from wikipedia
Old 01-17-2013, 10:05 AM

Good info marcik,

but it sort of contributes to my question ? Israel and Australia are quite similar in climate and Fuel octane (at least where I was riding and what I was filling in my tank) - so what is causing the huge difference in MPG - is like the mechanic said - "the engine is still not loose ?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
consumption, fuel, mileage, mpg