Helmet's.. who likes what? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Rider's Gear

Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Old 01-14-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
I'm happy with my Nolan N61, intending to by a N104 next
I just picked one up and I really like it, but I haven't really had a chance to ride with it yet ... darn snow.

I know fit is personal but for me it feels great.

The flip down visor should come in handy. This is my first helmet with one but I think I'm going to like it. The nose cutout is a little big though.

In my price range, it was also rated at the top for impact and the chin bar staying latched.

Mitch

Last edited by Slow-Steady; 01-14-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 03:10 PM

I'm on my 4th helmet, 3rd Shoei, and 2nd RF1000. I've been really happy with it. It's not perfect (bit too round for my headshape but still workable, noisy on the V), but build quality and comfort are outstanding. Fogs pretty easily, though. It's been superseded now by the RF1100, but I think might give something else a try next time around. Sorely tempted by the Qwests on clearance at MotorcycleGear.com, or may give Arai a chance if I'm feeling flush when new helmet time well and truly comes around (still a couple more years barring disaster).
Old 01-14-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I'm on my third Nolan modular (N100E, N102, N103). Most importantly, they fit my head. I suffered with Shoei helmets for a few years and a Nava before that because these were what the local shop sold. Major pressure point on my forehead...ouch! (Your head shape may vary.)

Then I saw a story on a moto forum about helmet brand and head shape. That led me to try a Nolan. I would not hesitate to buy another Nolan.

I got a couple helmets from Rider for a product test (I had to install a helmet comm system into supplied helmets; here if you care to read it). I found the Scorpion to be a torture chamber in my size (M). I turned around and went home after about 20 minutes because it hurt so much. I would like to have tried a size L but that wasn't happening. There was an internal flip-down sun visor in the Scorpion that worked beautifully, better than the one in the Nolan.

I also got to try a brand from Italy called Vemar which I liked. The shell is a carbon fiber composite, very strong and light. It has the "Eclipse" paint which is phosphorescent and glows green. Cool idea. I wish the glow effect lasted longer, but I expect if you were out riding all day in the sun it would make you glow for a while after dark. Very plush inside and it came with two visors (clear and smoke), although you have to stop and swap them.

My advice is to get a helmet that fits comfortably so (a) you always wear it, and (b) it doesn't distract or fatigue you. You won't know how well a helmet fits until you try it on!

I used to get helmets to match the color of my bike, but I discovered that was like camouflage. I've spent enough time riding sweep in group rides to believe that you'll stand out best wearing a solid color helmet in white or perhaps yellow. I expect the high viz ones I'm starting to see are good choices, too.
It's true, fit is most important. I would like to expand the thought of trying a helmet on before buying and say that you really need to ride with a helmet before buying. I know that's not usually possible but if you can, it's important. The AFX I had fit me great while standing up and walking around but when I got into riding position it made me feel like a coon dog because it pushed my brow down over my eyes.
I've had a couple Hi-Vis helmets (Bell, AFX). Be aware that the hi-vis has a tendency to fade and get dull rather quickly.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:22 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Be aware that the hi-vis has a tendency to fade and get dull rather quickly.
That sux.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Be aware that the hi-vis has a tendency to fade and get dull rather quickly.
That's what I have heard. Another reason to go with tried and true white.

Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
Reading Material: motobones.com
Old 01-14-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
That's what I have heard. Another reason to go with tried and true white.
I started out with white until my wife wouldn't leave me alone (said I looked like an extra on Star Wars), then got a couple hi-vis (then she said I looked like Lemon-Lime or Lemonhead), now my color is silver (and apparently I resemble a "spaceman" now) I don't think it matters what color I wear, but I do prefer a light, bright color for visability reasons.

Here's my "Lemon-Lime" look.

BTW, the lesson I learned from this photo,
"Don't run down steps with a full-face helmet on"

Last edited by ray h; 01-14-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:21 PM

2007 Kawasaki Versys 650 2007

Bought a Shoei Quest. Very pleased with it so far. Just fitted the pinlock visor as it fogs easy. Otherwise great.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I started out with white until my wife wouldn't leave me alone (said I looked like an extra on Star Wars), then got a couple hi-vis (then she said I looked like Lemon-Lime or Lemonhead), now my color is silver (and apparently I resemble a "spaceman" now) I don't think it matters what color I wear, but I do prefer a light, bright color for visability reasons.

Here's my "Lemon-Lime" look.

BTW, the lesson I learned from this photo,
"Don't run down steps with a full-face helmet on"
The "stigs" American cousin.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitourer View Post
Bought a Shoei Quest. Very pleased with it so far. Just fitted the pinlock visor as it fogs easy. Otherwise great.
Pinlock ia amazing. I recently put a Pinlock on my HJC. Im mad at myself for waiting so long to get a Pinlock.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:15 AM

Default helmet

I am riding with the Shoie neotec. love it
Old 01-15-2013, 07:06 AM

2008 Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys Blue/Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder13 View Post
I am riding with the Shoei neotec. love it
+1.

Ride safe,
Old 01-15-2013, 08:15 AM

Rx-Q....a gem!!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 01-15-2013, 09:43 AM

+ 1 for Shoei. The Qwest is advertised as the quietest helmet on the market right now, and I think it's pretty amazing. I have a couple of Scorpions but they aren't very quiet and the venting is pretty sucky. BUT, for the money I think Scorpion is the best bang for the buck.

So many bikes, so little dinero
Old 01-25-2013, 12:06 PM

I like modular helmets and use a Nolan N104. It's wonderful. Because it's Italian!
Old 01-26-2013, 03:28 AM

The shoei qwest is made for an upright riding style. It is a really quiet helmet, for me anyway. I can now hear my mps player, half volume with ear plugs fitted. I have always worn earplugs and wearing them inside the qwest is marvelous.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:42 AM

2008 Kawasaki versys
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41

Have the nolan n104 with a b4 bluetooth system
Old 01-27-2013, 08:10 PM

Well, since nobody else has, let me throw in another option. I have been shopping around and trying on helmets because I'm due for a new helmet this year, and I've decided my next one is going to be a Bell RS-1. Bell has greatly upped its game in recent years under new direction, and the RS-1, the middle line, seems like the best buy to me (and it is the best fit for me, too). It is just about indistinguishable from Bell's top-of-the-line helmet.

The other attractive point is that Bell has the Transitions faceshield which reputedly is the first photosensitive shield that really works. I wear a tinted faceshield all summer, to avoid the need for sunglasses and to keep my nose from getting badly burned (plus it looks cool). But that means carrying an extra clear shield if there's any chance I'll be out after sunset. The Transitions shield is twice the price of a tinted shield for my current AGV helmet, but I can justify it because it's like getting two shields in one. And no need to stop and change it.

The only drawback is I'm not totally in love with any of the graphics currently on offer.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:08 AM

I fitted the Hyper Optics, fog city, visor insert to my Arai helmet. This is a photosensitive insert that fits like a pin lock insert. It has an adhesive silicon bead around the outside edge of the insert and sticks to the inside of the visor.i found the insert great with anti fog and the photosensitive operation fine. At 39.00 NZD - approx 32.00 I found good value. Only drawback is it is not a pin lock system, but I suppose if you left the film over the adheasive bead you could remove it. I think they may make a pin lock version. I will check it out.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:29 PM

Bell Star for summer use. I have never had nor seen a helmet that flows so much air. I can feel it across my forehead and top of my head. Best summer fullface hemet ever.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:05 AM

+1 on the Bell Star venting.I like their transition shield too, but it's not the 1st and not the best in business. Only one in the north american market though, and I hope other brands will follow eventually. Come on Arai, it's time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement