530 Chain conversion - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Modifications - Performance

Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

Old 01-11-2013, 08:55 AM

That would be illogical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
That would be illogical.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spock.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	16589  
Old 01-13-2013, 03:46 AM

2007 Kawasaki 650 Versys

Quote:
Ok I don't get it.. what's Spock got to do it or with quoting yourself?

This thread is freaking me out again. I'm gonna keep this one from myself doing any harm no matter what!!?? to anything....right!! chickens are now exempt!!! We need to eat!! Huh you want some too!! I'll behead your egg laying mother!!
Now that's illogic mate right from the Royalla funny farm.. Grrr the damned Turkey in my glass again.. bleh!

Last edited by crow; 01-13-2013 at 03:57 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow View Post
Ok I don't get it.. what's Spock got to do it or with quoting yourself?
I was attempting to make a point in a humorus way.

It apparently didn't work.

If you recall from the original Star Trek series, in numerous episodes, when the officers and crew of the Enterprise were faced with a crisis, Mr. Spock would point out to Captain Kirk or other officers when they were being "illogical" in their reactions to the situation that they were thrown into or in their crafting of a solution to the crisis that the crew was facing at the time. [If you aren't familiar with the Star Trek series or Mr. Spock, then please proceed to the next thread].

So anyway, my point was - it is unrealistic to expect that you can obtain relevant statisical drive chain test data from one person on an internet forum.

Unless a forum user attaches a link to a good research paper, internet forums are comprised almost entirely anedotal information, experiences and opinions. And much of it is pretty interesting and entertaining, too.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:43 PM

2007 Kawasaki 650 Versys

Quote:
I was attempting to make a point in a humorus way.

It apparently didn't work.

If you recall from the original Star Trek series, in numerous episodes, when the officers and crew of the Enterprise were faced with a crisis, Mr. Spock would point out to Captain Kirk or other officers when they were being "illogical" in their reactions to the situation that they were thrown into or in their crafting of a solution to the crisis that the crew was facing at the time. [If you aren't familiar with the Star Trek series or Mr. Spock, then please proceed to the next thread].

So anyway, my point was - it is unrealistic to expect that you can obtain relevant statisical drive chain test data from one person on an internet forum.

Unless a forum user attaches a link to a good research paper, internet forums are comprised almost entirely anedotal information, experiences and opinions. And much of it is pretty interesting and entertaining, too.
Yeah I do get it now mate sorry it should've clicked.. Your quite right on your other points too. I'm all for the entertainment ratio's to keep things fun!

Last edited by crow; 01-13-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
If you recall from the original Star Trek series, in numerous episodes, when the officers and crew of the Enterprise were faced with a crisis, Mr. Spock would point out to Captain Kirk or other officers when they were being "illogical" in their reactions to the situation that they were thrown into or in their crafting of a solution to the crisis that the crew was facing at the time.

I will say that, inevitably, Captain Kirk would use his illogic (unless he was dealing with some sort of computer) to overcome the situation. Spock was rarely the solution, but he was sure a useful resource. After all - how else would you know that you had a 99.897% chance of failing....

I do not expect to receive a useful response to my statement. Rather, I was responding to the "It is bigger and therefore better" aspect of the thread. It turns out engineers actual provide useful services to society. To simply say that a 530 chain will last longer than a 520 chain possesses the same level of consideration as saying a Denebian Slime Devil is as dangerous as the Borg.

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
Old 01-13-2013, 11:13 PM

I will check on the sprockets for you.

Ok everyone really needs to simmer down. I can't believe that most people are giving me slack about "wanting to try something new".

Yes most likely any "data" I find will not count as proper data, as many things will reduce the life of your chain. No I most likely will not stick to a schedule when it comes to chain maintenance. I am just giving it a shot, because why? Because why not? Because if people didn't try anything new on their Versys' (Versy?) we woudnt have speedy's suspension lowering kit. Touring screens. Non OEM tyres.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:16 PM

I can tell you guys this though. I have been riding with this chain for just under a month, with no maintenance (long story, moved house. Left lube behind). I've been pulling small "clutch up" wheelies about 10 times a day. I have noticed no chain slack. I've done around 1000km's

Before everyone gets all technical. Yes I am aware that all RK chains are pre-stretched in the factory. Just an observation.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:48 AM

2007 Kawasaki 650 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursili View Post
I will say that, inevitably, Captain Kirk would use his illogic (unless he was dealing with some sort of computer) to overcome the situation. Spock was rarely the solution, but he was sure a useful resource. After all - how else would you know that you had a 99.897% chance of failing....

I do not expect to receive a useful response to my statement. Rather, I was responding to the "It is bigger and therefore better" aspect of the thread. It turns out engineers actual provide useful services to society. To simply say that a 530 chain will last longer than a 520 chain possesses the same level of consideration as saying a Denebian Slime Devil is as dangerous as the Borg.
I always say you can't pay for some forms of entertainment. I've got no idea!! But love the point trying to be made for it's creativity even if I can't decide what the take on the situation is.. started out in favour then seemed to swing to a 50/50 in the following sentence. Not even sure which Captain Kirk is unfairly copping it either..
I did say we'll keep her alive here for the next 30,000 km or miles.. Love it!! A good old fashioned wrangle over a nonsensical theory. Politicians thrive on it and we vote for them to run our countries and manage our money.
Big seems best when you wanna be heavy though I'll agree..
Old 01-14-2013, 02:52 AM

2007 Kawasaki 650 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic_Darkness View Post
I can tell you guys this though. I have been riding with this chain for just under a month, with no maintenance (long story, moved house. Left lube behind). I've been pulling small "clutch up" wheelies about 10 times a day. I have noticed no chain slack. I've done around 1000km's
I been doing clutch up wheelies on my trials bike for the last 2 years at around 100 a day and that chain is smaller than a 520 and has no O rings either. No adjustment there yet either.. Nothing technical to add today.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic_Darkness View Post
...Ok everyone really needs to simmer down. I can't believe that most people are giving me slack about "wanting to try something new"....
I don't think it's "...about "wanting to try something new"...". It's "...wanting to try something new..." that makes no good sense to whoever.

An example could be = sort of like planning to 'spoon' a Harley-type rear tire onto a V. It raises the question: Why?

Your bike: IF it works for YOU - have at it!

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 01-14-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I don't think it's "...about "wanting to try something new"...". It's "...wanting to try something new..." that makes no good sense to whoever.

An example could be = sort of like planning to 'spoon' a Harley-type rear tire onto a V. It raises the question: Why?

Your bike: IF it works for YOU - have at it!
There is an old quote that goes - "We are from the IRS, and we are here to help you."

Well - We are the Kawasaki Versys Forum, and we are here to help you!
Old 02-03-2013, 06:27 PM

I was at the IMS motorcycle show yesterday, and had a good close look at a Ducati GP racebike. Guess what? 520 chain!
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
Old 02-03-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
I was at the IMS motorcycle show yesterday, and had a good close look at a Ducati GP racebike. Guess what? 520 chain!

D.I.D 2012 Sponsored Teams & Riders-

FIM Road Racing World Championship MotoGP

Ducati MotoGP team- Ducati Desmosedici 2012- Valentino Rossi/Nicky Hayden: DID520ERV3

Yamaha Factory Racing- Yamaha '12 YZR-M1- Jorge Lorenzo/Ben Spies: DID520ERV3

http://www.didchain.com/raceNews.html

http://www.didchain.com/roadChains.html

Last edited by invader; 02-07-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:58 AM

2007 Kawasaki Versys 650 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
D.I.D 2012 Sponsored Teams & Riders-

FIM Road Racing World Championship MotoGP

Ducati MotoGP team- Ducati Desmosedici 2012- Valentino Rossi/Nicky Hayden: DID520ERV3

Yamaha Factroy Racing- Yamaha '12 YZR-M1- Jorge Lorenzo/ Ben Spies: DID520ERV3

http://www.didchain.com/raceNews.html

http://www.didchain.com/roadChains.html
It would be interesting to know if these chains are replaced after every race meeting and what is the lifespan in milage on the above bikes in race mode.

Last edited by kiwitourer; 02-05-2013 at 03:02 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitourer View Post
It would be interesting to know if these chains are replaced after every race meeting and what is the lifespan in milage on the above bikes in race mode.
If I were sponsored by a chain company and getting all the free chain I wanted, I'd certainly change it out as often as I could. Considering the power those bikes make, I'd probably start with a new chain and change it again after practice.

A 520 chain is as strong as a 525 or 530 chain. The only difference is that the rollers are wider, and this affects sprocket wear to an extent. My preference is to use 520 chain and steel sprockets or a Supersprox rear that has steel teeth riveted onto an aluminum body and to change the sprockets at the same time as the chain.
USN 1959-65
Old 02-06-2013, 08:36 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Hey ttpete,

I was working the Novi IMS at the Kawasaki display, wish I knew you were coming we coulda visited.......or may have if you stopped by.

Dan
Old 02-07-2013, 06:09 AM

2007 Kawasaki 650 Versys

The chain keeps rolling... seems to be a 520 though..
Old 02-07-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldkawboy View Post
Hey ttpete,

I was working the Novi IMS at the Kawasaki display, wish I knew you were coming we coulda visited.......or may have if you stopped by.

Dan
I was with the Norton club display.
USN 1959-65
Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Maybe next year Pete.....
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement