KLRsys - Versys powered KLR - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Member's Lounge > Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion

Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:26 PM

That is an awesome project, until you look closely you would never know. That motor seems to fit in their really nice.

You did a really nice job

Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 11:20 PM

Amazing job, well done
Old 11-29-2012, 12:23 PM

AWESOME, friggin' AWESOME!

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 01-13-2013, 08:58 PM

2007 Kawasaki Versys
Default KLRsys

Very nice build up! I'm particularly interested in your installation of the Rostra cruise control as I could not find much current info. I've had one sitting on the shelf for over a year and any help (wiring tips) you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-14-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarne View Post
Very nice build up! I'm particularly interested in your installation of the Rostra cruise control as I could not find much current info. I've had one sitting on the shelf for over a year and any help (wiring tips) you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks
I be happy to help. I need to dig around and see if I made notes but I can always look at my bike. I'm going to be doing another one in a month or so and I need to figure it out anyway. If you have specific question it would help. Which switch control do you have?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:42 AM

2007 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRsys View Post
I be happy to help. I need to dig around and see if I made notes but I can always look at my bike. I'm going to be doing another one in a month or so and I need to figure it out anyway. If you have specific question it would help. Which switch control do you have?
The switch I have looks very similar to yours, it's a: dash mount switch w/eng. open circuit ( P/N 250-3592). The questions I have are what source did you use for the vehicle speed sensor hook up and where did you mount the servo? I have already got equipment mounted on the left hand side of the tank and hopefully would be able to keep it there. Thanks again!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
The switch I have looks very similar to yours, it's a: dash mount switch w/eng. open circuit ( P/N 250-3592). The questions I have are what source did you use for the vehicle speed sensor hook up and where did you mount the servo? I have already got equipment mounted on the left hand side of the tank and hopefully would be able to keep it there. Thanks again!
For the speed sensor source, I used the LG/R wire (light green with red stripe) coming from the speed sensor to pin 6 on the larger connector on the ECU. I tee'd into in near the ECU end of the wire.

I mount the servo here.

I also abandoned the original switch set and put some in the right switch housing, easier to reach. This switch housing is off the Versys.

As I recall, I did not connect the tach wire (blue?) and the instructions said to ground it. When I did that, the cruise wouldn't work, so I left it disconnected.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:39 PM

2007 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRsys View Post
For the speed sensor source, I used the LG/R wire (light green with red stripe) coming from the speed sensor to pin 6 on the larger connector on the ECU. I tee'd into in near the ECU end of the wire.

I mount the servo here.

I also abandoned the original switch set and put some in the right switch housing, easier to reach. This switch housing is off the Versys.

As I recall, I did not connect the tach wire (blue?) and the instructions said to ground it. When I did that, the cruise wouldn't work, so I left it disconnected.
The servo mount looks factory, nice work! I will attempt to do something similar on the Versys, if clearances allow on the opposite side attaching it to the bracket from my custom topcase mount which uses a Honda 600RR mounting system. Think I'll also fab up a shroud and grommet to keep the wet and road junk away from the connectors. You're right, the original switch mount must have been a bit of a stretch to engage and keep the throttle where you want it. Think I'll mount on the left side, along with the hot grips control switch. Thanks once again for all your help; this forum is invaluable to us Versysites.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
The servo mount looks factory, nice work! I will attempt to do something similar on the Versys, if clearances allow on the opposite side attaching it to the bracket from my custom topcase mount which uses a Honda 600RR mounting system. Think I'll also fab up a shroud and grommet to keep the wet and road junk away from the connectors. You're right, the original switch mount must have been a bit of a stretch to engage and keep the throttle where you want it. Think I'll mount on the left side, along with the hot grips control switch. Thanks once again for all your help; this forum is invaluable to us Versysites.
I slathered the electrical connection with liquid electric tape (after this picture was taken). I figured there wasn't any way I could keep it dry that close the the rear wheel, so I just tried to make it waterproof.

When you get it done I'd like to see how you connect the cable to the throttle bell crank. I had a custom bell crank already because my throttle bodies are mounted upside down so I just added another groove to it for the cruise cable.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:09 AM

2007 Kawasaki Versys

I will definetly post pictures when I get all my ducks in a row...I have lots of metal working tools, just not much time to use them, but you have inspired me to get at it!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:28 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys
Default Underpowered KLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfmcse View Post
I had a 09 KLR for a bit but I didn't like the underpowered motor. Everytime I got in traffic I felt like I was about to be run over. I move to Versys and I'm much more comfortable in traffice. I still ride the back roads with the Versys but I do have to turn around more. If my KLR had had a Versys motor I'd still have it. I'm very impressed with what you've done.

One day, I pulled up to a red light beside an old couple in a Benz and thought that as the light turned green, I would get around them on my KLR and make better time. They didn't even floor their car but, I could tell, just stepped on the gas some and I could not pass them on my '07 KLR. They ended up still in front of me as the road narrowed back to one lane again. That was the very day I decided to get rid of the KLR. It sucked on the road and it pretty much sucked in the dirt too. (Not to mention all the little problems the KLR has that you have to fix: like the doohicky. If you've owned a KLR, you might know that the doohicky is the spring loaded cam chain tensioner that sometimes fails to adjust the tension or runs out of adjustment causing your engine to self-destruct. )

Barkbusters, Chrome helmet locks, GPS mount, Pyramid Fender Extender, LED accessory lights,
JT 42T rear sprocket, Givi V35 PLX sidecases, Coocase V36 Topcase, SW-Motech mirror wideners, Superbike GX mirrors, MRA VarioTouringScreen, ROX Anti-vibe Risers, T-Rex sliders, SW Motech engine guards, Motowerks Lowering Link
DNLP D616 120/70ZR17 front
DNLP D616 180/55ZR17 rear

The rest is
Old 03-16-2013, 11:20 AM

2008 Kawasaki Versys,

This is a wonderful build. What is astounding to me is why nobody at Kawasaki has thought of it. The KLR is hopelessly antiquated and the Adventure bike genre' is booming. Cruisers are dead. You'd think the combination of V and KLR was a logical product maturation. What are they thinking over there...????
Old 03-16-2013, 05:33 PM

2012 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdcooper View Post
This is a wonderful build. What is astounding to me is why nobody at Kawasaki has thought of it. The KLR is hopelessly antiquated and the Adventure bike genre' is booming. Cruisers are dead. You'd think the combination of V and KLR was a logical product maturation. What are they thinking over there...????
I agree with you JD, that yes, they could certainly do something more so along the lines of a V/KLR mix, but cycle world magazine, in their recent issue, just did an Adventure motorcycle comparasin based on which ADV bike the different riders would take if armageddon ever happened.
Anyhow, they had the Tenere, the Tiger800, Husky650, ktm 990, and the KLR.....
The KLR ended up being the winner!! Must be doing something right
Old 03-17-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOleChalupa View Post
...Anyhow, they had the Tenere, the Tiger800, Husky650, ktm 990, and the KLR.....
The KLR ended up being the winner!! Must be doing something right
Might just have something to do with the fact that you can repair that OLD technology with a screwdriver and a hammer...

...and a bent paper-clip!

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 05-02-2013, 10:56 AM

Default KLRsys II

KLRsys II has been on the road awhile now. Thought I'd put up a couple of pics.
09 KLR with 09 Versys powertrain. Not quite finished but getting close.

Build photos
Advertisement