You can't overcome dumb!! - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Rider's Gear

Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Old 01-06-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
Personally, I think there are times when it just gets too hot to wear full riding kit. I know this won't find favour from those on here, but I've ridden plenty of times where I have put my personal comfort before being fully kitted out in case something goes wrong. I find that when you become unbearably hot while riding, it's actually distracting as all you start to focus on is how hot/sweaty you are, where can you take a break for something cooling and less on your riding. I'm not condoning shorts, T-shirt and flipflops, and I know that a pair of denims and a light jacket don't really cut it, but that's my choice and I hope I ride accordingly when I don't have the correct gear on. Plus some riders think they're putting on a cloak of invincibility when they are geared up which is just as dangerous as not wearing any kit.
As I'm sure you saw in my writeup from my adventure this past summer, that I was wearing full mesh riding gear. I wore it over bicycle shorts and a wicking t-shirt and was quite comfortable. The only day during that trip where I put on my cooling vest, was when crossing Oklahoma and the vest worked amazingly well at keeping my core temperature down.

I do believe that you can't replace skill with gear, and that skill will keep you from going down 99% of the time. The errant animal in the road, the blown tire, and/or the drunk driver that flat runs a red light are unavoidable. Those are the reasons I wear all of the gear most of the time and some of the gear all the time.

I have seen too many people think that that wearing full leather race suits allows them to ride to the edge of their ability and the bike's traction.
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 01:40 PM

Same Here....I wear all of the gear most of the time and some of the gear all the time.

My Farkles......http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20013
My Video Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/weljo2001?feature=mhee
My Photos...http://www.flickr.com/photos/54181788@N06/sets/

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Old 01-06-2013, 01:45 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Same Here....I wear all of the gear most of the time and some of the gear all the time.
Do we need a new acronym? ATGMTTSTGATT

Versys Owners/Riders Map Here.

Add your name and see who's near you!

Old 01-06-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitourer View Post
I have just returned from 12 days in Brisbane, Australia. We traveled the motorways a lot. I was amazed at the large number of motorcyclists weaving in and out of motorway traffic wearing only a helmet, a singlet, shorts and jandels (thongs). The speed limit was 100 - 110 and they were passing us. I also saw a boy and girl on a scooter zapping around a busy town, He was in shorts and jandels, she in bikini and jandels.
My "minimum" apparel is sneakers, jeans, leather jacket, gloves and helmet. Had gravel rash when i was young, never again if i can help it.
You WILL get "pavement rash" AGAIN, IF you ride in sneakers and jeans, and have a 'get-off'.... I "low-sided" wearing mesh jacket and pants (armored) a few years back. Only damage to the gear were a couple of tears and marks, NO rash for me, tho' I broke a rib when I hit on my left side upper arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
Personally, I think there are times when it just gets too hot to wear full riding kit. I know this won't find favor from those on here, but I've ridden plenty of times where I have put my personal comfort before being fully kitted out in case something goes wrong. I find that when you become unbearably hot while riding, it's actually distracting as all you start to focus on is how hot/sweaty you are, where can you take a break for something cooling and less on your riding. I'm not condoning shorts, T-shirt and flipflops, and I know that a pair of denims and a light jacket don't really cut it, but that's my choice and I hope I ride accordingly when I don't have the correct gear on. Plus some riders think they're putting on a cloak of invincibility when they are geared up which is just as dangerous as not wearing any kit.
Davey - try soaking a tee-shirt and wearing it under a riding jacket. Coming back from Alaska in '09 I was heavily ATGATT when we rode into the desert areas of BC with temps near 110F. Hotter'n'hell... till I stopped by a stream, removed jacket and tee, soaked the tee, then shrugged my way back into it, jacket on, then rode COOL for 2 to 3 hours before repeating.

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 01-06-2013, 05:04 PM

2007 Kawasaki 650 Versys

I should try and say that I really don't go round looking for arguments with other riders, even the ones that really bug me.
My first concern is seeing riders or anyone really not get hurt. But I am not a safety vigilante out for an argument. I'll try to impress a learner with some ideas but that's about it mostly.

To some people bike riders are taking stupid risks just by riding full stop; maybe that's true but risk assessment is what we do right from the crawling age and we all make our own choices based on that. It's not my place to try and over-ride someone else's decisions or make them look stupid.

That guys started on me with bullying comments and attitude about my riding gear. I only started on him after that, and it was more about his tough guy vs little guy thing too.
As I've always said you can't overcome dumb and I actually knew what his reactions would be and that I would get nowhere by pointing out the obvious to him. He just pushed all the wrong buttons at once which is a rare combination indeed.

I do feel strongly about riding gear both on and off-road having seen and experienced the results from both ends of the spectrum.

I have many mates that choose to ride in T shirts in the heat and I don't go gnawing their ears off about it, They know the risks and make their own decisions as we all do.. they also ride a more reserved when half geared too I've noticed..
Old 01-06-2013, 05:31 PM

2007 Kawasaki Versys 650 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
Lose the sneakers and move to a good leather boot... In a crash, sneakers are right up there with those jandals IMHO.
I wear leather boots 99 % of the time. If i need to zap down to the shops, and i have sneakers on, i will wear them. Sneakers are my minimum footwear. Thanks
Old 01-06-2013, 06:06 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
OOhKaaay. How does one pronounce that?? At-gimst-gat?

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Old 01-06-2013, 06:32 PM

2007 Kawasaki 650 Versys

Quote:
Mama mia even the urban dictionary has no idea.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
My personal version of ATGMTTSTGATT.

Fair warning: It's probably preaching to the choir here and it's definitely longer than the standard interwebs attention span.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motociclista View Post

Fair warning: It's probably preaching to the choir here and it's definitely longer than the standard interwebs attention span.

My Farkles......http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20013
My Video Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/weljo2001?feature=mhee
My Photos...http://www.flickr.com/photos/54181788@N06/sets/

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Old 01-07-2013, 03:16 PM

Before I got into my Versys and onto this site, I started riding with sweatshirts and jeans and shoes.

Then I migrated to Jacket, "Riding" jeans (with Kevlar), and regular boots.

Now -- I am up to Full gear, jacket, overpants, and riding boots.

I have to say, gear for me has been much more than protection, its nice to know that I have great protection, comfort, and rain gear with me always.

I think it took forever because of the price.. You really need to spend a decent amount of cash to get decent gear.. I think that is what stops most people.
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
Old 01-07-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motociclista View Post

"Hands are fragile things and I like being able to dress myself in the mornings."

CLASSIC!
Old 01-07-2013, 04:11 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
"Hands are fragile things and I like being able to dress myself in the mornings."

CLASSIC!
Was rock climbing in my teens when a friend fell (on belay). He slid about 20-30 feet down the rock on his knees and hands before the rope caught him. All ten of his finger tips were blistered so bad he could not change his clothes or tie his shoes for a week. I imagine road rash would be much worse as well as bigger chunks removed.

Versys Owners/Riders Map Here.

Add your name and see who's near you!

Old 01-08-2013, 08:34 AM

Absolutely! Takes awhile to get all the gear and yes some cost.

Worth every penny and summer riding on short runs really means removing my over pant and riding with my sliders geans.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:55 AM

Default Gear

I've gone down hard once in my riding career, luckily with gear on, but I was wearing jeans. I walked away in good shape except for a half dollar sized spot on my knee that got sanded down when my knee made first contact with the road. That small patch of road rash was one of the most painful things to heal that I've encountered. It quickly taught me to gear up every time, no matter the conditions. "Survival of the smartest" will eventually weed out the shirtless, short wearing, speed deamons!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement