530 Chain conversion - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Modifications - Performance

Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

Old 12-26-2012, 08:35 PM

My chain was shot after my 7000 mile ride this summer. Total miles were 15500. I lubed it most every night, but did run a lot of high speeds for long distances. Most of the O rings were missing when I got home from the trip.

My neighbor was going through chains fast on his KLR 650 so he put this huge looking chain and sprockets on his bike. Says it is lasting much longer with no stretch. The KLR has 28,000 miles on it now.
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
Do you do a lot of off road riding and get alot of grit on the chain? Do you adjust the chain tension per the manual?
I dont do any off road, but I do get tons of grit. There is always some grit on the road. Yes I did adjust the chain often, often asked Kawasaki multiple times about the wear. Their response was that with all crap on the road, the chain would go faster. Also the service manager told me that wheelies will eat the chain very quickly, especially if I was still learning to do them.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:56 AM

Ok so I got the 530 chain. I specifically got an o-ring chain (brand is RK) Not a special gold one, but really a stock standard RK chain. They are pretty good in general. But I got a "normal" chain just to see what the wear is like.

The chain fits nicely, but we did remove the inside washer on the front sprocket. Everything was checked properly, including the missing washer. I have started learning wheelies again, and have noticed no wear at all. Also the chain seems to have less give if that makes sense.

BTW the 530 is bigger than I thought.

A not on the sprockets, I got really nice sprockets. Only the chain is "normal".
Old 12-27-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic_Darkness View Post
Ok so I got the 530 chain. I specifically got an o-ring chain (brand is RK) Not a special gold one, but really a stock standard RK chain. They are pretty good in general. But I got a "normal" chain just to see what the wear is like.

The chain fits nicely, but we did remove the inside washer on the front sprocket. Everything was checked properly, including the missing washer. I have started learning wheelies again, and have noticed no wear at all. Also the chain seems to have less give if that makes sense.

A not on the sprockets, I got really nice sprockets. Only the chain is "normal".
So you got a heavier chain but didn't get the better quailty chain. Seems like you have added a bunch of rotational weight that won't be a signicant advantage over a 520 chain. If a bike with twice the Hp can use a 520 chain why would a versys need one?
Old 12-30-2012, 07:42 AM

2007 Kawasaki 650 Versys

Quote:

You should listen to good advice mate. you obviously need to hear it.

A standard o ring is about as budget as you can get apart from a no-ring chain, no matter what the brand is or shiny colour it comes in. The better the sealing ring ie X rings Z rings W rings the better the chain life should be if looked after properly ... that's the important bit here

A 530 has only added more labour to your drive train and will reduce your HP output and make it harder for you to learn your wheelies in the storms and grime.

I'll bet it weighed alot more than you thought too. Heavy is not a sign of reliability despite what Boris The Bullet Dodger says..

If your chains are wearing prematurely then either; they are not being looked after, not adjusted correctly and have worn the sprockets or have been put on new to an old set of sprockets. No amount of wheelies or burnouts or whatever will be the cause of a ruined chain prematurely on a low HP bike like this one.

I hope you haven't thrown out that inside washer yet.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:09 AM

I hear everyone's advice and I have heard it before I made the change. I'm purely testing if a heavier chain does wear less. I specifically chose the normal o-ring chain, just to see if it wears less than my last o-ring chain (came with the bike).

I just really want to test the actual wear on the chain. Yes I understand that it is a "crappy" o-ring chain. But that's the point. I want to test if a beefier chain lasts longer, under the same conditions. If it does not, then I'm going to go back to a 520 (x-ring).

Regarding "The loss in performance". It is not noticeable. It's not a drag bike so I dont have to squeeze every last little millisecond out of it. I'm more interested in wear.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
...I'm purely testing if a heavier chain does wear less. I specifically chose the normal o-ring chain, just to see if it wears less than my last o-ring chain (came with the bike)...

I would be interested to hear what your conclusions are at the end of your test. It can never hurt to have more data. Knowing what doesn't work is just as important as what does work. We may be able to apply this knowlege (or at least this one data point) to other cases, such as, what is a good chain to buy, in general.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:42 AM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Synthetic Darkness,
I had some input about why you should stick with a 520 chain and so did a lot of other folks and after everyone agreed you went ahead with a 530.
I think we were just trying to save you some money on an unusual move.

Before ribbing you, I realized what your post asked.....Has anybody tried to put a 530 chain on a Versys". You never asked if it was a good idea or the right thing to do.
I apologize for not just answering your question and immediately giving you advice.

I agree with Trialsguy so keep us posted on your results.

Ride safe,
Dan
Old 01-02-2013, 02:08 PM

It always help to keep a few daring souls willing to think out side of the norms.
Playing with the chain is small change compared to some of the concept bikes that have made there way on to the forum.
It's your toy, do what pleases you
steve
Old 01-02-2013, 08:09 PM

LAST 530 chain I had was on my '79 Yam SR500.... Took me about THAT LONG to order a set of sprockets for a TT500 or XT500 in 520 to dump a lot of weight....

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 01-04-2013, 08:09 AM

Thanks to trialsguy, oldkawboy (No worries I understand, I'd have done the same) and BLACK DOG. It's all about knowing. If nobody ever wanted to explore, we'd all still be sitting inside the cave.

I'm very amazed that nobody has tried getting a bigger chain. I searched the internet for about a month before converting and very few people have ever gone bigger. Everyone harps on about getting more performance by going smaller, but I've only seen one or two actual dyno tests. The drop in power was about 1-2 hp. Let's be honest, something you will never notice.

My point is this. Riding your bike (including wheelies). "Pulls" the chain. Therefore my thinking is that if you have a chain that can take more "pull" surely it will last longer. Don't get me wrong, a really well maintained chain might last longer. But have you tested this? What about a beefier chain that is well maintained?
Old 01-04-2013, 11:03 AM

The only plus I can see with a 530 chain is that the sprockets MIGHT wear less. For a bike that makes 60 hp on a good day, a 520 is more than adequate, considering that it's currently used without problems on 150 hp+ motorcycles.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
Old 01-04-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
...My point is this. Riding your bike (including wheelies). "Pulls" the chain. Therefore my thinking is that if you have a chain that can take more "pull" surely it will last longer. Don't get me wrong, a really well maintained chain might last longer. But have you tested this? What about a beefier chain that is well maintained?
Guess MAYBE I have tested this - the ORIGINAL chain on my '08 (BIG RED) now has JUST SHY of 40,000 miles on it, and has ONLY been 'lubed' with WD40, at regular intervals (ie - after a 50 mile or more run I spray it, spin the wheel, then wipe it down with a rag, or at the end of the day on long rides, while it's still hot). I keep records, and I've adjusted it a TOTAL of 16 'flats' - as the adjusters are hex-headed, that comes to TWO AND A THIRD turns (6 flats = one turn) - in that 40,000 miles. Replaced the countershaft sprocket at 29,642 miles, then 'reversed' the rear at 31,792 miles. Quite a bit of those miles are on dirt roads, but it is always garaged except when I'm off on a 'trek'..., and I buy my WD40 in gallons.

I had an '04 KLR650 that I put aprox. 54,000 kms on (on WD40) before I changed out the chain on my last Alaska adventure, in Whitehorse, as I'd adjusted it the night before in Watson Lake and neglected to re-check tension after tightening the axle nut. My BAD - it was over-tight and started 'spitting' rollers by the time I noticed, TOO LATE, in Teslin. I loosened it there, then 'limped' into Whitehorse where I changed it while my riding buddy relaxed in the hot springs! (That came to 33,480 miles.)

My Canadian '09 V has around 20 to 25,000 kms on its original chain, AGAIN on WD40 only. You might notice that I don't see the need for a 530....

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 01-04-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
You might notice that I don't see the need for a 530....
So you get a lot of use out of your 520, with good maintenance. My point is that surely if you stuck to your maintenance schedule AND used a 530, you'd get more use out of it.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:10 PM

2007 Kawasaki 650 Versys

Quote:
So you get a lot of use out of your 520, with good maintenance. My point is that surely if you stuck to your maintenance schedule AND used a 530, you'd get more use out of it.
How many km do you think it will take to prove your theory?
I'm at 30,000km so far on the original 520 chain and sprockets and don't look like changing them anytime soon and that's with regular off-road riding. You've heard how many others have done in miles as opposed to kilometers.

It's gonna be a big maintenance schedule just to keep this post out of the archives until you realize your bike is doing it tougher than it should.

I do have another idea similar to what I do on my dirt bikes in very dusty conditions that helps quite a bit though..
Try filling your air box with socks to keep dirt from getting to the air filter that should help save some money too but make sure you start with clean ones or you won't have a good base-line to measure from. Filter socks.. Have you checked the air filter yet?

Last edited by crow; 01-10-2013 at 04:48 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:45 AM

It wont take me that long. I'll be able to see the wear in a few months. I'll be able to see if the chain is looser and be able to compare.

Kawasaki checked the air filter about a month ago and they said it was fine. Not a bad idea though....
Old 01-10-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
My point is that surely if you stuck to your maintenance schedule AND used a 530, you'd get more use out of it.
My point would be that a statement like yours requires proof. It will take several chain changing intervals before you can either prove or disprove this. I hope that you will provide the forum with some data as others have suggested. Personally, I think that your data will either be anecdotal (meaning that you will not keep it up until it is statistically significant) or it will not be significant (meaning that you will not find a significant increase in chain life with the 530). I would be happy if you can prove me wrong.

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
Old 01-11-2013, 01:00 AM

Quote:

Did you get an RK 530 SOZ1 O-ring chain? Which sprockets did you get, exactly?

We still need someone to test EK's mighty and already overkill 520 ZZZ.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:30 AM

2007 Kawasaki 650 Versys

Yeah I'd like to know what sprockets you got there with your 530 too...

By the way don't stuff your air box full of socks mate that was just my kind of humour and not a good idea at all for any bike. It will reduce your air intake flow and capacity.
Filter socks are a very different thing to what your wearing...

Last edited by crow; 01-11-2013 at 05:23 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursili View Post
My point would be that a statement like yours requires proof. It will take several chain changing intervals before you can either prove or disprove this. I hope that you will provide the forum with some data as others have suggested. Personally, I think that your data will either be anecdotal (meaning that you will not keep it up until it is statistically significant) or it will not be significant (meaning that you will not find a significant increase in chain life with the 530). I would be happy if you can prove me wrong.
Mursili,

If you were serious about looking for a rigorous statistical study on drive chain life - you wouldn't be looking for it on an internet forum.

Regards,

Mr. Spock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement