Aftermarket Cams - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Modifications - Performance

Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

Old 12-23-2012, 04:07 AM

2010 Kawasaki Versys
Default Aftermarket Cams

Searched the web - Nada

Anyone know of a supplier ? Will do my own port and polish.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 06:21 AM

Some have used the ninja cams (higher lift). A couple of months ago I was reading on this site about someone extracting ~90hp from this motor. That discussion would be in the technical forum, but would require some searching to find it.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:23 AM

Ninja 650R/ER6 racing cams by Web Cam ~ $590

http://www.webcamshafts.com/index_bl...le_search.html

BRP High Performance Valve Spring Kit - $250

http://www.blueridgeperformance.net/brpengines.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Versys inlet and exhaust cam lobes have less duration and lift than the 650R's... Versys inlet camshaft is however identical to 650R's exhaust camshaft All other engine components are the same.

Ninja 650R/ER6:
Inlet- open 31 BTDC................Exhaust- open 50 BBDC
close 61 ABDC........................close 30 ATDC
duration 272..........................duration 260
cam height 36.6 +/- 0.057 mm... cam height 35.9 +/- 0.057 mm

Versys:
Inlet- open 25 BTDC................Exhaust- open 47 BBDC
close 54 ABDC........................close 25 ATDC
duration 260..........................duration 252
cam height 35.9 +/- 0.057 mm... cam height 35.4 +/- 0.057 mm

Gary "BRP"
http://www.blueridgeperformance.net/

"Depending on the track, we use different combos of Versys and 650R cams. (A cheap route, is to install a Versys intake cam in your 650R, and put the 650R intake cam in the exhaust.) We have billet cams ready to grind, but until we start getting some requests, they will stay in the unground form. Proper porting & compression nets the biggest gains.
Stock rods stretch a lot faster. Not a big problem, until you start getting over 75 hp. My engine builder is currently building some flat track engines. One is a 700cc, the other 750 using stock bore/rod length, with stroked crank and custom built pistons, with pin location moved. Those should be in the 90+ hp range."
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Motoman power secrets-

Think Fast: Understanding Intake Porting (Part One) http://www.mototuneusa.com/power_news_--_think_fast.htm

Homework: How To "Hi Velocity Port" Your Own Cylinder Head ( Part 2 )
http://www.mototuneusa.com/power_news_--_homework.htm

The 2007 Superbike ! (Porting Part 3 ) http://www.mototuneusa.com/power_new..._superbike.htm

Super Sonic Nozzle (Porting Part 4) http://www.mototuneusa.com/power_new...nic_nozzle.htm

Success Stories & Exhaust Porting http://www.mototuneusa.com/power_new...ss_stories.htm

http://www.mototuneusa.com/thanx.htm

Last edited by invader; 12-23-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:25 AM

I'm making a bit of a mess of this, but the thread I was referencing was titled "650 Ninja at the IOM".

Last edited by Mt. Versuvius; 12-23-2012 at 06:29 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:38 AM

If you want tremendous gains, i reckon a change of bike is the better and easier way.
- Front Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master pump - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS Brake lines - Osram Nightbreakers+ low, Osram Hyper Rallye 65W high - LED 30w spotlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low
Old 12-23-2012, 07:24 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhtf View Post
If you want tremendous gains, i reckon a change of bike is the better and easier way.
Not a lot - I just can't seem to leave stock alone.

Will gasket match intake manifold and head, smooth exhaust ports.

Just want a little more oommph !
Old 12-23-2012, 07:25 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Thanks Invader - I seem to be saying this a lot so far !
Old 12-24-2012, 12:07 PM

I totally endorse not leaving it alone. If you know the lift and duration, Web will grind you anything. In my race Ninja, I alternated between Ninja EX cam in the intake (had a couple thou more lift) and Versys Intake cam in exhaust or two Versys intake cams front and back. That's how you will get the ooomph you were thinking about. If you want the top speed, then run the Ninja cams. Stock sprockets are slotted, so don't forget to mess with timing. Cometic has a .18 head gasket. Your stock radiator should be able to run the small bump in compression, but don't go much higher without planning for a larger rad. I cleaned and matched my porting as well.

I haven't touched my Versys top end. Just running a LeoVince with silencer insert and am dynoing 61/62 hp.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:23 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

My thought was to increase duration, while leaving lift and overlap alone. See what this gives me - along with better valve springs of course. Maybe get a more of a roller cam lobe shape that a pyramid style one.

Take it one step at a time and document everything. If I see an improvement will go on to the next step.

Would love one of those chassis dynos from Australia - but no budget for it yet. Still trying to decide if I could make a small business doing others bikes, so can do mine for free !
Old 12-26-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdale View Post
My thought was to increase duration, while leaving lift and overlap alone. See what this gives me - along with better valve springs of course. Maybe get a more of a roller cam lobe shape that a pyramid style one.

Take it one step at a time and document everything. If I see an improvement will go on to the next step.

Would love one of those chassis dynos from Australia - but no budget for it yet. Still trying to decide if I could make a small business doing others bikes, so can do mine for free !
In my experience, you NEED roller lifters to go w/ a roller-cam lobe profile. With 'flat' lifters that lobe shape just BANGS the valves open and closed, putting too much stress on things.

Also, IF you increase 'duration' you will increase overlap.

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 12-27-2012, 11:15 AM

I'm with the get-a-bigger-bike recommendation. Kawasaki knows how to build a powerful motor and could have easily put more juice in the Versys if it wanted to or saw the need. You can try some things like the Ninja 650 cams but I doubt it will be worth the trouble and expense; you're just going to move the torque and hp peak up a little. Not enough juice? Get a VStrom or the Versys 1000.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:00 AM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Also, IF you increase 'duration' you will increase overlap.
I should have been more clear - I do not plan to change lobe centres to effect overlap. Of course, more duration increases overlap.

Just thinking out loud, and checking to see if anyone has any experience. Ninja cams will not be enuf for me, so will contact cam grinders and see if they can find me 20 or so HP in the low-midrange.

Get a bigger bike - I have had 120 HP bikes. The Versys main point for me is it's light weight. Not as light as my flat-slided, expansion-chambered, Ported and Polished RD400, but close enuf. I still miss that bike - made a lot of 'Superbikes' chase my tail light.

I ride mainly mountain roads, and like they say ...

Can't have too much HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement