The "add-a-tool to the advtour tool kit" thread. - Page 4 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > General Kawasaki Versys Discussions

General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:42 AM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S View Post
Hey - that looks nice! Are the bits stainless? I got a cheap set of bits from Harbor Frieght and they got covered in rust in about 15 minutes. Really annoying, as that makes the fit worse.
Can't confirm that bits are stainless. I've carried the tool and a couple of sleeves of bits in a tool tube for more than a year. No oxidation yet.
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
Not sure if a small hammer would help???

It sure would.
Everything that can't be fixed with duct tape can be fixed with a hammer.

I've been looking for a nice, small hammer and an excuse to carry it for a while.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
Not sure if a small hammer would help???
I've used the handle of my ratchet as a hammer in a pinch... and, a rock!
Old 12-20-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
an alternate side thread might be
who has a functional first aid kit stashed on their bike?
I carry one on my "adventure rides".

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 12-20-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I carry one on my "adventure rides".
me too. I'll start that thread-
Old 12-22-2012, 10:52 AM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Curious why the safety wire was left in but their pliers removed? You do realize that safety wire pliers differ from "normal" pliers, yes? And that the wire is much more effectively used with them? Forced to choose I would probably carry the safety wire pliers and leave out the "normal" ones. YMMV
Old 12-22-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmason View Post
Curious why the safety wire was left in but their pliers removed? You do realize that safety wire pliers differ from "normal" pliers, yes? And that the wire is much more effectively used with them? Forced to choose I would probably carry the safety wire pliers and leave out the "normal" ones. YMMV
I DIDN'T know that... thanks for clarifying. Since I have no experience with said tool, will you educate me as to how you see it being valuable in this type of kit?
Old 12-23-2012, 11:35 AM

2009 Kawasaki Versys
Default Doc Allen Versatool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S View Post
Hey - that looks nice! Are the bits stainless? I got a cheap set of bits from Harbor Frieght and they got covered in rust in about 15 minutes. Really annoying, as that makes the fit worse.
Checked with company; bits are not stainless. Doc Allen Web address is:
http://docallensversatool.com/
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2012, 11:46 AM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versystole View Post
I DIDN'T know that... thanks for clarifying. Since I have no experience with said tool, will you educate me as to how you see it being valuable in this type of kit?
Safety wire is stainless steel wire that is normally used on race bikes (and aircraft) to serve as a last line of safety against nuts and bolts backing out due to vibration primarily. I'm sure google will have a wealth of information.

Special safety wire pliers are used to place the desired amount of tension on the wire when tightening it. They can double as wire cutters and as a fair replacement for needle nose/standard pliers.

I carry them on longer trips in case I need to try and fasten two broken pieces together (an alternative to duct tape) or create a new pivoting hinge with the wire, if that makes sense.

Like many things it is a bit of a long shot that it will be used, but since the pliers serve triple duty as wire cutters, normal pliers and safety wire pliers I see little reason not to include it in a kit. Several feet of the wound wire consumes negligible space.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:40 PM

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

My Farkles......http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20013
My Video Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/weljo2001?feature=mhee
My Photos...http://www.flickr.com/photos/54181788@N06/sets/

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Old 12-24-2012, 11:58 AM

IF you're going where the mosquitoes and black flies live...

a can of "Deep Woods OFF" in the tank bag....

Old 12-26-2012, 09:12 AM

Fix-a-flat, XL can [maybe better yet, Slime type [& valve core remover].

If you're really, really smart, 2 cans of Slime or fix-a-flat, XL size of course [& valve core remover].

Never hurts to carry a good flashlight & batteries either

Cell phone could save a life or 2 also.

First aid kit.

You can't eat just one Lays potato chip, or list a single tool, when several tools, items are so very, very important to one's survival, plight.

Helmet wouldn't hurt either. When I was a kid, you couldn't make me wear one. Now I won't get on a motorcycle without one.

Happy New Year [when it finally gets here]

Allen
Old 12-26-2012, 09:18 AM

Spoke wrench, if you've got spokes [it will fit].

Allen
Old 12-26-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmason View Post
Safety wire is stainless steel wire that is normally used on race bikes (and aircraft) to serve as a last line of safety against nuts and bolts backing out due to vibration primarily. I'm sure google will have a wealth of information.

Special safety wire pliers are used to place the desired amount of tension on the wire when tightening it. They can double as wire cutters and as a fair replacement for needle nose/standard pliers.

I carry them on longer trips in case I need to try and fasten two broken pieces together (an alternative to duct tape) or create a new pivoting hinge with the wire, if that makes sense.

Like many things it is a bit of a long shot that it will be used, but since the pliers serve triple duty as wire cutters, normal pliers and safety wire pliers I see little reason not to include it in a kit. Several feet of the wound wire consumes negligible space.
Also, if you don't like to/refuse to wear boots when riding, [in a pinch] you could wrap the wire around your lower pant legs, to prevent them from catching on the foot pegs, when putting your foot down to slow, stop or in a quick response/fall type situation.

I just broke a rib going only about 2 mph. Bike was turning, out of gas [preparing to run it out, completely, with stab-il-ize, for end of riding season storage] & it lurched forward, quickly & UNexpectidly. Bike landed right on top of me because my left pant leg [open] bottom caught the foot peg, & down we went. I basically broke my bike's fall, & my left rib at the same time. Now, I will [since I refuse to wear any boots] tie my open/loose pant legs on my pants with a strip of cut up bluejean extra cloth strip, secure them with rubber bands or whatever suits me at the time. Even a couple pieces of wire will do the trick to secure those floppy pant legs. I will also, not wear shoes with shoe strings from now on, since I nearly went down a time or two before, when my long shoe strings [briefly] caught my foot peg. I just bought a pair of deck shoes to ride with. No strings, no pant legs, ...

... no problem My bike thanked me

Allen
Old 12-26-2012, 03:49 PM

Recently rode to the west coast (San Diego) and then after a few days back at home in Alabama, I rode to the east coast (Virginia Beach). The only thing I used from my tool kit was 2 zip ties (one on two different occassions). It saved me both times. Will never leave home without them.

Current Stable:
'08 Versys
'09 Piaggio BV250
'04 Harley Ultra Classic w/ Bushtec trailer
Old 12-27-2012, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien71121 View Post
Also, if you don't like to/refuse to wear boots when riding, [in a pinch] you could wrap the wire around your lower pant legs, to prevent them from catching on the foot pegs, when putting your foot down to slow, stop or in a quick response/fall type situation.

I just broke a rib going only about 2 mph. Bike was turning, out of gas [preparing to run it out, completely, with stab-il-ize, for end of riding season storage] & it lurched forward, quickly & UNexpectidly. Bike landed right on top of me because my left pant leg [open] bottom caught the foot peg, & down we went. I basically broke my bike's fall, & my left rib at the same time. Now, I will [since I refuse to wear any boots] tie my open/loose pant legs on my pants with a strip of cut up bluejean extra cloth strip, secure them with rubber bands or whatever suits me at the time. Even a couple pieces of wire will do the trick to secure those floppy pant legs. I will also, not wear shoes with shoe strings from now on, since I nearly went down a time or two before, when my long shoe strings [briefly] caught my foot peg. I just bought a pair of deck shoes to ride with. No strings, no pant legs, ...

... no problem My bike thanked me

Allen
so- Allen...

You're going to wear deck shoes on a trip to AK? cuz, this is a tool thread about adventure tool kits for long tours... just wondering?
Old 12-27-2012, 11:25 AM

Just got a 12v adaptor (NOT yet wired into my bikes), and then a charger that plugs into it for my camera batteries so I can charge them while I go on LONG rides!

Old 12-27-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versystole View Post
so- Allen...

You're going to wear deck shoes on a trip to AK? cuz, this is a tool thread about adventure tool kits for long tours... just wondering?
Didn't realize this thread was for an Alaska trip, tool kit tool, my bad. Thought it was a thread for listing a usefull tool to have in your tool kit.

Hmmm, Alaska, mittens, they're warmer than gloves.

Grizzly repellent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
adventure ride, alaska, tools