Custom Beak for Versys - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Modifications - Cosmetic

Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

Old 12-05-2012, 08:29 AM

I'm in also, if these things ever make it to the states...

Two Weeks in the West | Palo Duro | One Week Denver Loop
2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 09:42 AM

I'm interested too, doesn't matter what color, I'll paint it to match.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:44 PM

After 6 weeks, one of the Malaysian Vendors finally came through and I just received one of these Malaysian made beaks. Unfortunately is is a steaming, ill fitting, POS.

Nothing fits properly, especially the big uneven gaps where the new side pods blend into the stock anteater nose. The beak portion is flimsy, unsupported, and cantilevered off the side pods. Brackets are flimsy, shoddy, and IMHO just not up to long term use and vibration.

To my knowledge there are 3 Vendors and perhaps they are all not like the one I got, but that is it for me and ripped off once, twice shy

A total waste of money (200 USD landed at my door in Thailand) and the Vendor is taking the typical SE Asian attitude of 'very sorry but no returns". Sorry for what - knowingly selling something that is not proper, or ripping me off?

It has pissed me off so much that I am now using this useless POS as a basis to do it right. It is now all cut up, and fibreglassed in place on my bike so that it fits, and the final body work is being done now, so that a proper mould can be made.

I hope to be able to offer the Versys community a proper product that I use on my own bike around Christmas time.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:44 PM

Well that sucks. Sorry to hear it went down that way. Appreciate the fact that you're still interested in making hem the right way for the rest of us, though!

:thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-18-2012, 07:48 AM

Got the side panels made now and I think I may just forgo the beak on my own bike and go with this anteater nose solution.
It is not finished and still needs a bit of work for a really good mould, and some quality brackets, but this is just about there.

Most likely will paint it red to match the anteater nose, although black is also OK.

On to the beak section tomorrow for those that really want a beak
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anteater nose filler resize.JPG
Views:	458
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	16402  
Old 12-18-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
Got the side panels made now and I think I may just forgo the beak on my own bike and go with this anteater nose solution.
It is not finished and still needs a bit of work for a really good mould, and some quality brackets, but this is just about there.

Most likely will paint it red to match the anteater nose, although black is also OK.

On to the beak section tomorrow for those that really want a beak
Looking good so far!
Old 12-18-2012, 07:59 AM

what do you think - anteater solution alone or complete with beak
Old 12-18-2012, 10:46 AM

Turns it into somewhat of a Tenere without the beak. Looks good too
Old 12-18-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
what do you think - anteater solution alone or complete with beak
Personally- I think the full deal with the beak looks best. IMHO it pulls the focal point away from the less than amazingly aesthetic headlamp...
Old 12-18-2012, 11:31 AM

I like the anteater, it's more 'form follows function' than the beak, which is ornamental and probably adds some additional wind noise. Just my 2 centavos.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:01 PM

I have designed it in such a way that the same mould is used for the filler only or filler with beak, so easy to add on later or just use the parts bit you prefer

Will finish up these fillers today and then on to the beak
Old 12-19-2012, 01:55 AM

Hoghead, seems like you've gotten the older version instead of the improved version. The older one uses some metal bar to hold it in place while the newer one mounts direct to the body plastics using bolts and drilled holes. Take a look.

- Front Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master pump - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS Brake lines - Osram Nightbreakers+ low, Osram Hyper Rallye 65W high - LED 30w spotlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low
Old 12-19-2012, 04:17 AM

The Malaysian design Rev1 used a wimpy bit of plumbers strap to the filler piece alone, and the beak bolted to the filler. Not an ideal design

I thought of bolting the filler piece to the existing body work as shown in the white example of Malaysian Rev 2, but I am not keen at all on cantilevering this entire fibreglass part with an overhanging beak off the existing ABS bodywork. I am also not convinced that this ABS to Fibreglass bolted connection will stand up over the long term with vibration and shock.
The existing body work is not exactly designed nor mounted to take the additional weight of a heavy fibreglass part hung off the front- time will tell I guess

I think that a more secure independent mounting will be better with vibration, and am bolting the beak to the filler piece as you show in Rev 2, with a proper bracket coming off the headlight framework at the beak to filler interface. Another long bracket, using the same pick up point, will come off both sides of the headlight framework to support the leading edge of the beak The trailing edge of the filler piece is mounted to the bike frame using an aluminium bracket - not as clean looking, or inexpensive, as bolting to the stock ABS body work, but I believe more reliable

Will post some new pics when the mould work is done

This "improved" Rev 2 version still does not fit very well. Note the beak to filler fit and how the body lines are not carried through on the new bits

Last edited by Hoghead; 12-19-2012 at 05:06 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:07 AM

This is the first versys in our country that inspired the "beak" thing.

i am not sure if he had fabricated the whole piece with fiber or he merely bolted the beak to the stock plastics and paint over it.
- Front Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master pump - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS Brake lines - Osram Nightbreakers+ low, Osram Hyper Rallye 65W high - LED 30w spotlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low

Last edited by andrewhtf; 12-19-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:51 AM

I like it
Looks like a 1 piece snout
Old 01-27-2013, 07:55 PM

The first run of beaks is now done and looks pretty good right out of the mould.
I am in the Philippines right now boating and beering with my buddies and will send some pics and FOB costs when I get home Feb 14
Old 01-27-2013, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Custom Beak for Versys

Awesome!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:50 AM

I personally think beaks are one of the more ridiculous style trends in motorcycling (the beak on the new water-cooled GS is comical), but I know that plenty of others disagree.

Good luck with your venture.

Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
Reading Material: motobones.com
Old 01-28-2013, 08:11 PM

I made it in 2 pieces as I am not totally sold on the beak either and likely will just use the side filler panels to get away from the anteater look.

Each to his own

This is a hobby and not a business, and simply a bike customising project for me. If other forum members want it so much the better and I am happy to make it available
Old 02-07-2013, 08:04 PM

Hoghead, this is a unique one. Seems Thai though, judging by the number plate on the car.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hello hoghead