My new V and its farkling journey - Page 7 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Modifications - Cosmetic

Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

Old 08-10-2012, 10:05 AM

I added a topic on Raising the MRA Vario Wind Shield.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...80&postcount=1

Also the 2010 Head Lamp Bezel buzz issue and how it is fixed.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...76&postcount=9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 03:42 AM

Kawasaki Versys

After many futile and fruitless visits to countless bike shops, finally managed to get my hand on a 44T sprocket. Had intended to pay around Thb 1,300 (US$42) but finally walked out of the shop after spending over US$600.

For this, I got the following :
- gold 44T sprocket
- flatfoot
- pair of Pirelli Angels
- rear hugger
- rim stripes

Also installed a DIY fender extender
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0308.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	15436   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0309.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	15437  
Old 08-11-2012, 07:32 AM

So is your top box set up a SWMOTECH bracket and a GIVI box? If so what are the benefits of this verses an all GIVI set up? Is the swmotech height lower?

Thanks- Looking at the V46 box but not sure which bracket to use.

Great post by the way!
Old 08-11-2012, 08:55 AM

ceewilli,

My top box rack is Givi's. I am not sure if the SW Motech top box rack is compatible with Givi Side case racks. An answer that I've been looking but never found the answer. The SWM top rack should be lower than Givi. I may want to cut the Givi top rack to make it lower. It's been done before and I've seen how great they are.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:33 PM

Im not sure which would be more comfortable for the passenger? The overall higher GIVI or the lower SWMOTECH rack and GIVI topcase?

Sorry Im new but where is the best place to buy SWMOTECH stuff?
Old 08-14-2012, 09:44 PM

If the pillion is big, the stock Givi rack should be good

Not sure in the US for SWM products, but in my country, we have a great dealer that can get them in for a good deal.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:46 PM

Some more pics of the Kappa KGR33 side boxes

Old 08-15-2012, 06:53 AM

Hey there 2daMax. Could you possibly give me a couple of pictures that show better how you have those LED driving lights mounted? I've got some very similar ones being delivered sometime in the next couple of weeks from Hong Kong and I'm looking for mounting ideas.

THanks!

May the road always curve in front of you.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:46 AM

Zatx,

Here you go. Just a bracket with a few pre punched holes. I had to saw off the edges around one of the holes so that it will fit within the plastics.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:58 AM

Thanks!

That actually helps alot. Previously I thought people were sawing completely new holes through their plastics to put a bracket through them. Turns out you are using the existing hole and existing bolt.

Perfect!

May the road always curve in front of you.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:17 AM

Well ZATX, a friend of mine indeed drilled a hole on the side shroud to mount leds.
- Front Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master pump - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS Brake lines - Osram Nightbreakers+ low, Osram Hyper Rallye 65W high - LED 30w spotlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low
Old 08-17-2012, 07:22 AM

I really like the look of those Kappa KGR33s. What mount system did you use? And where did you buy them from? Thanks!
Old 08-29-2012, 01:58 AM

Sykes,

It uses the same Givi side case racks for 2010 models and above. In fact, the racking system are identical between Kappa and Givi. eBay is selling these KGR33 at a price that is 1/2 of what I am paying even after paying 25% tax and International shipping. Middle man here makes big bucks. I am from Malaysia, so I got it from my bike dealership, and waited for 4 months for it. I was going to have the order cancelled when he called to say that they have arrived. I would have gone the eBay way actually, if I had to wait 4 months.

Zatx,

Actually, if I remember correctly, you may need a spacer to put in between the bracket and plastic shroud. I think I used a tap faucet donut washer for the job. Rubber washers seem to have very good thread locking capabilities

Last edited by 2daMax; 08-29-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:55 PM

Hi 2DAMAX.

I was wondering, because it isn't really visible how you did it, if you could shed some light in how you placed/attached the 12V lighter under the fairing.

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2012, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2daMax View Post
ceewilli,

My top box rack is Givi's. I am not sure if the SW Motech top box rack is compatible with Givi Side case racks. An answer that I've been looking but never found the answer. The SWM top rack should be lower than Givi. I may want to cut the Givi top rack to make it lower. It's been done before and I've seen how great they are.
Hey 2daMax,

What make is your [B]panniers rack[B] - you mentioned that it is detachable somewhere in the post. which tells me that it is probably sw-motech and not givi. later it implies from your post that you have a givi top box rack - that threw me off - I didn't know that they are compatible

could you share that rack + cases setup with me - im just on the fence thinking which ones to get.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:30 AM

2007 Kawasaki Versys 650 2007

I wired my cigarette lighter base, via a fuse directly to the battery. I can charge my phone etc without turning on the key and two i have fitted the corresponding lighter plug onto my maintenance charger and plug into the base to charge my battery.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2daMax View Post
Decided to go ahead to install the 12V Cig Socket today but I had to first, check which wires should be the ones. Took out my DMM and started to test probe.

From ACE Hardware, the 12V Socket with clips and the 2 flat pins which would be used to replace the clips. --> RM16 + a few cents. Please NOTE: This device is not meant for cigarette lighter as it cannot support the high Amperes.

There are a few wires and a quad pin socket found at the Left Hand fairing.

After probing with the DMM under "On", "OFF" and "P" mode, here's what each pin on the Quad Socket does:

Based on the orientation on the photo below:-

1. Left Top Pin - 12V irregardless of Key Switch position. Yes, even when it is OFF, there is still 12V output.
2. Bottom Left Pin - GND
3. Bottom Right Pin - 12V for Key Switch position ON and P.

Here's how I connect the wires to the socket. I had to mark out the 12V wire as both wires cannot be differentiated.

And my Test Device, which is a HTC power adapter for my PDA phone. The HTC is illuminated by a white LED when there's 12V juice. The socket is placed in the left hand fairings.

Lastly, I needed to make sure that there's a fuse to all this. Below the seat, there is a 5 Amp fuse which protects the 12V Cig Socket circuitry. I removed the fuse and the HTC LED went dead.
So I have question about this accessory jack that we can use for the 12V socket...

You said that there is a switched wire there right ? and that you've found the fuse for it... so which relay is it running on ? and so why is the original Kawasaki outlet (part number 999940194) ) needs a relay to work ?

sure got me confused - thanks for a ll the hard work and the documentation.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibonneau View Post
Hey 2daMax,

What make is your [B]panniers rack[B] - you mentioned that it is detachable somewhere in the post. which tells me that it is probably sw-motech and not givi. later it implies from your post that you have a givi top box rack - that threw me off - I didn't know that they are compatible

could you share that rack + cases setup with me - im just on the fence thinking which ones to get.
I am sorry for the late reply. This is my rear rack and pannier rack setup. they fit the 2010 model.

1. Both are Givi racks (well the panniers are Kappa, but Givi and Kappa shares the same design).

2. Top rear Box is a 50L Monokey box. The rear plate is Monokey. You can have a Monolock plate if the Givi box is monolock type. The monokey plate comes separately.

3. Pannier boxes are Kappa KGR33, 33Liter boxes, monokey type. They can also fit the rear rack monokey.

Hope this answers your question, else do ask more.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusG View Post
Hi 2DAMAX.

I was wondering, because it isn't really visible how you did it, if you could shed some light in how you placed/attached the 12V lighter under the fairing.

Thanks!
Hi GusG,

I have no pictures currently on that one but will quickly describe to u where it is placed. When I get the chance, I will snap a picture of it.

I did not use any screws or cable to tie to secure the 12V socket. It basically sits in between some metal braces that is attached to the tank. The braces configuration is somewhat triangular in nature. It is placed sitting vertically and the only thing that is securing it from accidentally bouncing off is the wires Not the best way but so far it has survived 15k km of riding.

My apologies for the late reply, as after recovering from a terrible illness, I've have not been checking in this forum frequently.

UPDATE: Picture added.

Last edited by 2daMax; 01-06-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:18 PM

"So I have question about this accessory jack that we can use for the 12V socket...

You said that there is a switched wire there right ? and that you've found the fuse for it... so which relay is it running on ? and so why is the original Kawasaki outlet (part number 999940194) ) needs a relay to work ?

sure got me confused - thanks for a ll the hard work and the documentation."

There are 2 different things. By default, the Versys 12V socket does not have a relay. The part you quoted is a ADD-ON accessory that requires a relay. This relay appears to fit directly onto the 4 socket plug. Of course, it cost a lot more that a DIY solution. For the 12V socket to work, it needs the relay which are ordered separately.

The method I use, does not need a relay, and for the purpose I am using it for are just for powering up low Amps devices. For higher Amps, I will choose to run a relay and connect directly to the battery, add a inline fuse and a switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement