R.I.P. Sweet Versys - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > General Kawasaki Versys Discussions

General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:16 AM

Thanks everyone. I fared better than the bike. 9 stitches and some x-rays to ensure nothing was broken. My right knee took the brunt of the impact. I suppose that makes me fortunate, though it would have been more fortunate to avoid the accident in the first place (or to have been wearing my riding pants along with my jacket and helmet). The bike is officially totaled - $5600 worth of damage I'm told - I haven't seen the itemized estimate yet. It is currently sitting at MotoAdventure Kawasaki while I wait to hear more from the insurance company. The other driver, a sleepy young kid from what I remember, has the same insurance provider I do, so maybe that will streamline things some. I brought my stock exhaust and brake lines into the shop so that if everything works out as I hope, I can have them put my ss lines and TBR slip-on along with the Givi luggage system right onto a new Versys. I really like the 2013's white on black color scheme but there's also a sharp 2012 in yellow there. And, there is a used 2011 there as well if my pay-out isn't enough to net me a brand new one. I have looked at other used bikes in the area (there is a black Ducati Monster with 6k miles on it for less than $7k available on craigslist) but not many are going to do everything that the Versys does for me - daily commuter, 2-up tourer and canyon-carver. I'm sure there are other viable options to fill all those roles with one bike, but I know the Versys does it well, and I'm not ready to be finished with the Versys just yet. Also, I'm not rich.

No snow up here yet, I'm pleased to say. It's been plenty cold at times but I've still been able to ride into work almost every day so far - until recently that is. I much prefer riding my 50+ mpg bike in over my 17 mpg truck every day.

As far as parting the bike out, that has been discussed. Between the shop and I we may buy it back from the insurance company and turn it over to the shop. It really does seem like so much of it is in perfect shape - the engine, transmission, wheels, seat, forks - maybe, handlebars, etc. I'd like to see the shop turn it into a custom, naked cafe racer or something but that's just sentimentality for my bike, to live on and give someone else enjoyment for a while.

I'll have to wait and see what happens with all this, but the front fender, amazingly, seems fine. I think there were some scratches on it maybe, but not cracked.

The driver was cited - failure to yield - as is totally appropriate. I would be livid if he wasn't cited or if it was ruled as anything besides 100% his fault.

I wondered if this guy was on his phone - it's as if he never even saw me so maybe he didn't. If so, I hope having a motorcyclist fly up onto his hood scares him into not using the phone while driving again. But probably not.

I've thought about getting the crash bars, especially after I dropped my bike the first time and cracked a fairing. At first I was thinking about taking the Versys down the adventure touring route, and this seemed like an essential mod. However, after having the Versys for a couple years I feel like it's really such a great street machine that this is the direction my mods should take, and I was more interested in shaving weight than adding protection. I've thought about frame sliders, but it's kind of pricey for what you get, and I've heard they can actually increase damage during certain wrecks by transferring the impact to the frame whereas it might have been superficial otherwise. It's certainly something to consider though.

That's terrible to hear about in NZ - my thoughts go out to those who were lost and their families. My wife freaked out a bit on the morning of the accident, even after she knew I was ok, because her good friend was seriously injured and her friend's fiance killed in a similar accident - a driver failing to yield on a left turn.

I'll post back here once I know more about how the whole insurance thing is going to pan out, and with pictures of whatever bike I happen to get to replace my beloved Versys. Well, not replace it, but to follow it. I figured posting on here was a fitting tribute to it and thank you all for sharing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 01:21 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushin View Post
5:50 on a Wednesday morning, on my way into work. Almost no traffic - except the kid in the giant Suburban who turned left in front of me like I wasn't even there. I put over 16k miles on that bike in the three years I had it. It was a great bike.
Considering the other guy was in a Suburban, the Versys seems to have fared well, looks like cosmetic damage in the photos. Make a street fighter or customize? I wouldn't part out that bike, its fixable. Nevermind, I just read the last post, looks like insurance is the way to go. A good salvage buy for someone to put on ebay.

Last edited by Element; 12-04-2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: needless advice after reading last post
Old 12-04-2012, 06:23 PM

Wow, a rare appearance from Element...

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
Old 12-04-2012, 09:34 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

Hey, Two Wheels! We've traveled the same road -- EX500, then a Versys, then a sheered-off spool. What did you do about yours? I broke off the left spool during a track day a little over a year ago.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:29 AM

I hope you heal up quick, and sorry to see the bike in such a state.

Yesterday I had three people nearly take me out at intersections. By the time I was on my way home I was pretty cheesed off with everybody else on the road. The world is full of idiots in cars.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden View Post
Hey, Two Wheels! We've traveled the same road -- EX500, then a Versys, then a sheered-off spool. What did you do about yours? I broke off the left spool during a track day a little over a year ago.
I bought some $15 adapters for my rear stand that allow you to lift the bike by the swing arm rather than the spools. It does not work nearly as well as the spools and requires two people to lift the bike this way. One to position the stand while the other holds the bike. The alternative was to pay a machine shop to fabricate something.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:57 PM

2009 Kawasaki versys

first off I want to say that I hope your ok.

second, please tell me of your exhaust setup on the bike
Old 12-12-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Shifty View Post
I hope you heal up quick, and sorry to see the bike in such a state.

Yesterday I had three people nearly take me out at intersections. By the time I was on my way home I was pretty cheesed off with everybody else on the road. The world is full of idiots in cars.
I was thinking about getting one of these to wake the morons up

Old 12-13-2012, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post

That's the thing I've been looking at as well. There's some guy now producing a setup where you keep the original horn. When you press the button the original goes for half a second then the big one clicks in. This way you can give a short hit on the quieter one without blasting pedestrians into the trees.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Shifty View Post
That's the thing I've been looking at as well. There's some guy now producing a setup where you keep the original horn. When you press the button the original goes for half a second then the big one clicks in. This way you can give a short hit on the quieter one without blasting pedestrians into the trees.
That one is called a Banshee.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
Old 12-13-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post

They flat WORK!

Here's a few pics of the Wolo on my '08, and the Stebel on my '09 (mounted under the left 'fairing'). When you hit the horn it sounds like a Kenworth or Peterbilt. People tend to vacate the area INSTANTLY!

In fact I've even installed a Wolo on my car, Mazda P5.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wolo1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	16373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wolo2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	16374   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06005.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	16375  

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 01-08-2013, 10:13 AM

That's quite a horn. A good thing to have to be sure, though in my case it wouldn't have helped. I only had time to grab the brakes. I do think my relatively loud exhaust helps somewhat, though I do feel bad at 5:40 in the morning starting up my bike on my very quiet street.

@ bobbed83toy - regarding my exhaust, it's just a Two Brothers Racing slip-on. I went with that manufacturer mostly because of the look and where it sits on the bike. I don't like the slip-ons that protrude to the side as much. It's something like 9 lbs lighter than stock but of course it doesn't have a catalytic converter. It's also significantly louder than stock, more than I expected. Almost loud enough for me to regret that mod. However, even though the improvement in performance is slight, it is noticeable. You don't get any more peak power, but it does wind up faster, and feels a little more torquey on the low end. I'm sure a power commander would really unlock the slip-on's potential but I never got a chance to put one on mine.

I am happy to say that I picked up my brand-new 2012 Versys from the dealer this last weekend! SS brake lines are already installed and after the break-in period I'll put the exhaust back on as well. I haven't been able to ride it much at all yet, and had to walk it down my still-snowy street coming home from the dealer, but it's in my garage and everything regarding the incident and insurance has been settled - rather favorably I would say. My knee is good to go and I went from having a 2008 with 20k miles to a 2012 with 0 miles. Not bad at all really.
I'll post pictures soon.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:00 AM

Good on ya...!

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 01-08-2013, 01:27 PM

Glad your okay. Insurance adjuster claimed $3500.00 worth of damage. I got most of what i needed off ebay and a rear brake lever from cheapcycle parts and splurged $200.00 on a big parabellum windscreen. Cost me less than $500.00 total in parts counting the windscreen. The crash bars and handguards saved the bike from more damage.The one thing i had to replace which you can't see is the inner cowl bracket. http://www.flickr.com/photos/5418178...7628210904815/

Heres what hit me....

IMG_20111127_133911 by weljo2001, on Flickr

My Farkles......http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20013
My Video Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/weljo2001?feature=mhee
My Photos...http://www.flickr.com/photos/54181788@N06/sets/

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement