Cold weather riding vs bike type - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > General Kawasaki Versys Discussions

General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:28 PM

In my neck of the woods (extreme northern suburbs of Los Angeles), the only bikes that are really out when it's below 60 are my V, a street triple, and a funky spaceship looking scooter. Everyone else packs it in for the 'winter'. The majority of riders around here are weekend warrior types, accountants and lawyers with their shiny HDs and fresh-off-the-rack leathers. If it's too cold for their vests and chaps, they don't want to have anything to do with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 10:45 PM

I think a lot of it comes down to the gear the rider is wearing. If you have the right gear it can be comfortable riding for prolonged periods, at higher speeds, in cold weather down to 32F/0C or even below, but if you don't it's going to be miserable.

I find adventure style textile gear is the most comfortable thing in cold weather. Maybe why we see a higher percentage of adventure riders in cold weather. My Olympia stuff is good to ~45F, and 32F and below with the addition of a heated jacket liner and heated gloves.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:26 AM

I live in Indiana and it has been 22f or so in the last couple of weeks. That has reduced the population count of motorcycles in my area to 2.... my Versys and someone on a WeeStrom. Though most mornings it is just me.

Everyone I work with thinks I'm nuts, but as long as you have a jacket and a pair of pants to break the wind you're fine. At least I am as I just have an 8 minute ride to work. The only part that gets cold on me is three fingers on my right hand. I need to find a better pair of gloves.

May the road always curve in front of you.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Almost all the cruiser riders I know are "Fair Weather Riders" and park it when the temp drop below 70. BUT I do see more HDs than Sportbikes when it gets cold.
True that. While there are lots of fairweather Harley riders, there are also Harley riders who are among the most hardcore of all. I remember last winter in February I did a 100-mile round trip to get to an appointment I had (I ride year round, barring snow and ice) and I saw four other bikes on the road all day: three Harleys and a new Bonneville. Given that I also sometimes succumb to the stereotype of Harley riders as fairweather dentists and accountants playing dress up, it's good to be reminded that there's also the other kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I have also noticed that almost every one waves in winter here. Not sure it they're saying hello OR HELLO...another fool!
Yeah, when the road's thick with bikes in the summer, it's ho-hum, why wave. When you're out there in 28 degrees and you see that single headlight coming, you WAVE, dammit! A fellow lunatic. Instant bonding.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:10 PM

Today at work the motorcycle parking area included two new, large BMWs, one old, large BMW (for me things with 1200 cc displacement is "large"), a Transalp, my Versys and a little Honda Elite scooter.

In warmer times there will usually be a couple of cruisers. Lately it has been cold, but I am praying for snow. I am now watering my brown grass just to keep it from dying.

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
Old 11-29-2012, 08:14 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursili View Post
Today at work the motorcycle parking area included two new, large BMWs, one old, large BMW (for me things with 1200 cc displacement is "large"), a Transalp, my Versys and a little Honda Elite scooter.

In warmer times there will usually be a couple of cruisers. Lately it has been cold, but I am praying for snow. I am now watering my brown grass just to keep it from dying.
Im north of you in CO. Everthing is bone dry. Ski resorts are making as much snow as they can and are barely keeping up. Im with you in your prayers.for snow.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-29-2012, 11:42 PM

2011 Kawasaki Versys

Living in Florida has its advantages... But having nothing but straight roads isn't one of them... Still... riding 365 is a decent trade off I suppose.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:58 PM

It's -22 F (-30 C) now, only a degree warmer than the 1940 record... I had my last ride on Nov 22 which is the latest ever in the season, and we got a foot of snow the day after.

Last edited by invader; 11-30-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
It's -22 F (-30 C) now, only a degree warmer than the 1940 record... I had my last ride on Nov 22 which is the latest ever in the season, and we got a foot of snow the day after.
Holey froozen Holiday Balls! Thats cold!

Freak of weather here its been in 50's will ride today for a little bit. It will not last of course. Anything below -10F is just not comfortable IMO. End of riding season here soon! So I know what you mean!

Last edited by MTS; 11-30-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:05 PM

rode mine one day this last week for work, it was 31F when I left the house at 2 am, and 41F when I got home at 4pm. I've been doing the 2am or 3am start all week and it's been in the upper teens, haven't felt like putting on all my gear for the 10 mile ride to work so the bikes been sitting waiting. I figure if there isn't snow/ice on the roads and I can stand the cold, I'll be riding. All my co-workers with their cruisers have them snug in the garage til May.
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount
http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/130183.png
Old 12-02-2012, 03:53 PM

I have ridden the last few days, temps hovering around freezing but sun is out so not bad. Sadly I have not seen 1 other bike on the road, normally in my travels I would pass at least a half a dozen.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:59 AM

I live in Middle Georgia so the weather stays fairly mild all winter but I do see a significant reduction in sport bikes on the road. Between November and March I rarely see any bikes except full dresser cruisers, wings, and (of course) my Versys.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:33 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Martines

I have a solution for it, come to Brazil, I'm sure you will enjoy riding on some roads around here.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:08 PM

Here in the Southeastern part of Ontario I always manage to go out for a small ride in December. I'm about to put my V away for it's long winter nap, but I rode on December 4th when we had a nice day that got up to 12C/54F. With my heated grips, ski/snow mobile pants, neck warmer and good sweater I'm comfortable for a few hours. I've ridden colder temps, and the bike doesn't seem to mind, but it's just for short jaunts around the city.

When I used to live in the Provence of Quebec, it was mandatory for all vehicles (including motorcycles) to have winter tires from Dec. 15- March 15. So no matter how nice it was for a quick ride, you could still get a fine for not having the right tires if you got a cop who was having a bad day.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:11 PM

I'm in SE Texas so cold is one of those words open to interpretation. I tend to keep to my warm weather pattern when selecting which of my bikes to ride; what I intend to do. I will say however, the Roadking gives me much better wind protection so if it's really cold (less than 40 F, remember I'm in SE Texas) I tend to roll out the HD.

In my younger days, I used to waterski year round in either a wetsuit or on occasion a dry suit. So, riding a motorcycle year round is really no big deal for me. I think I do see more cruisers and adventure bikes on the road when the weather is bad around here, the sportbike guys must be wusses.
'09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
'09 Yamaha Superjet ~ '13 Ram 4X4 3500 Cummins
'09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU

Last edited by DennisD; 12-11-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:31 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisD View Post
I'm in SE Texas so cold is one of those words open to interpretation. I tend to keep to my warm weather pattern when selecting which of my bikes to ride; what I intend to do. I will say however, the Roadking gives me much better wind protection so if it's really cold (less than 40 F, remember I'm in SE Texas) I tend to roll out the HD.

In my younger days, I used to waterski year round in either a wetsuit or on occasion a dry suit. So, riding a motorcycle year round is really no big deal for me. I think I do see more cruisers and adventure bikes on the road when the weather is bad around here, the sportbike guys must be wusses.
I like your toys! A nice selection IMHO. And not everyone has a Kubota -well done.

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Old 12-11-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colodak View Post
I figure if there isn't snow/ice on the roads and I can stand the cold, I'll be riding.
I have learned to not ride when it is below 20F when I leave the house. There is the cold tires that can slide out from under you or the persistent little patches of ice.

I am with you with the idea that, if I can control my bike, I will ride. It is the lack of control that restrains me.

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement