Oil colour after oil change? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Member's Lounge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:55 PM

Default Oil colour after oil change?

While I can' yet post outside the new member group, I have a technical question regarding an oil change. I had my Versys serviced last week - basically only an oil service - but I notice the oil colour in the inspection window is totally black already, after less than 100km after the oil change. Can this be? Or did they forget to change the oil filter in the process?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 07:18 PM

2009 Kawasaki '09.5 Blue

Mine doesn't darken until I've run it hard for a while. Using 10w40 Full Synthetic now, still amber after about 1500 miles.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:13 PM

You say "totally black already". I assume that it was not very dark when you picked the bike up after the service. If it was still black at the shop, then yes, maybe they did not even bother to change it.

Then again, my oil turns black pretty quickly. From what I understand that is a "feature" of new detergent oils. They do such a good job suspending the dirt that they turn dark quickly. That should mean nothing with respect to how the oil performs, however.

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
Old 12-10-2012, 09:22 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versysy

I use Motul and unless I push beyond, 5k Km its still not that dark. At 7K Km its when the oil really turns dark-black.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:37 AM

If they drained the oil on a cold engine and the oil was very dirty to begin with, it would not be uncommon for the oil to quickly turn dark. How far up the sight glass is the oil level?

I always drain the oil from a bike right after riding home from work and then I let it drain while I go in and eat dinner. Even then, I will see some dark streaks in the fresh oil after I warm up the engine for 3 minutes and check the oil level.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:52 PM

Yup - mine 'darkens-up' soon after each change (Mobil1 15w-50). I don't worry about it....

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 12-11-2012, 03:20 PM

Unfortunately I didn't check the colour of the oil immediately after the service so don't know if it was dark even then. However I notice the oil level is higher now than when I took it in for the service - it is now at the top mark where it previously was halfway. So at the very least they put some oil in. In future I will do my own oil changes.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:45 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versysy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pravech View Post
Unfortunately I didn't check the colour of the oil immediately after the service so don't know if it was dark even then. However I notice the oil level is higher now than when I took it in for the service - it is now at the top mark where it previously was halfway. So at the very least they put some oil in. In future I will do my own oil changes.
Good for you and the Versys will love your kind care.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:31 AM

why my handle so high vibration? need suggestion & advice ..
Old 12-17-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermananuar View Post
why my handle so high vibration? need suggestion & advice ..
Try holding on LESS tightly.

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 12-22-2012, 09:34 AM

2007 Kawasaki 650 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pravech View Post
While I can' yet post outside the new member group, I have a technical question regarding an oil change. I had my Versys serviced last week - basically only an oil service - but I notice the oil colour in the inspection window is totally black already, after less than 100km after the oil change. Can this be? Or did they forget to change the oil filter in the process?
Different oil brands will look different in colour to start with. I like Motul 5100 in most of my bikes... except my WR450f... but it is a darker colour out of the bottle to start with and looks black quite soon after a fresh change in the sight glass. Most oils lose their shear capacities after about 5000km so regardless of colour I change out at 5K anyhow but don't I worry about going full synthetic unless under race conditions for the life of that oil change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement