First Post and A Question - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Member's Lounge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:27 AM

Default First Post and A Question

Hi all! I did the rider training course offered here in Colorado by Iron Buffalo and got my liscense endorsed. I just bought my first ever bike, a 2008 Versys 650. Now I need to get it insured.
I am a little confused about how much coverage might be appropriate for me. I am 59 years old and have a good driving record. I have looked at quotes from a few companies and I don't really need a reccomendation for who to use, I just wonder how much and what kind of coverages are typical? Including collision coverage seems to really up the premiums- is it really worth it? I bought a set of maintenence/debt insurance/warrantry options from the dealer I bought the bike from already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 12:42 AM

2008 Kawasaki versys
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41

Welcome and not sure about your insurance over there but I do know bike insurance is not cheap where ever you go.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:20 AM

More coverage more money.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:04 AM

2009 Kawasaki Versysy

Insurance is an assurance for the unseen. The higher the value the better the return. Cover yourself and the bike well so you dont sit with your hand on your head should anything happen.

wish you well and
Old 12-07-2012, 01:09 PM

I use "Dairyland" and carry 250/500 liability, plus collision, at about $250 year.

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 12-07-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I use "Dairyland" and carry 250/500 liability, plus collision, at about $250 year.

I have pretty much the same... from State Farm, for around $244 a year, bundled with my other insurance (car, homeowner's).
Old 12-08-2012, 01:00 AM

My car and homeowner's insurance is through AARP/Hartford. They don't do motorcycle insurance but use a sister company who quoted me a policy with comprehensive/collision at about $550 a year. American Family and Geico quoted about the same for the same coverages. Maybe it's because of my age?
Old 12-08-2012, 04:34 AM

Greetings from Littleton! I've got an '09 Versys. You've got a few years on me, but through Progressive my policy is only $182/year. That includes comprehensive and collision, with $750 deductibles.

I did just notice my BI and Property Damage are pretty low, I may look into changing them.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:01 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't looked at Progressive yet, I'll give them a look.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:25 AM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

Progressive has always been the cheapest for me by far. My V fully covered is around $200/yr. Crank up the uninsured motorist coverage. If you get hit on the bike it will hurt your wallet if they other driver isn't covered.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:30 AM

Wow looking at what others pay makes me sad! I have fully coverage... 100/300 liability, 100/300 uninsured (important), collision and comp each with a $1000 deductible, and up to $3000 in accessory coverage. I'm 26 and after all my deductions it's still just under $500 for the year! It's worth it though and it already paid for itself after my first V was stolen. Progressive is what I use and they offer a loooot of different discounts, I would check them out.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:18 AM

I've got Riders Insurance. I just carry comprehensive and liability for around $120/yr.
I did have Progressive until they got greedy and wanted too much money.
I had a KLR 650 through them for around $110/yr and when I sold the KLR and got the Versys it went up to $260/yr I questioned them a couple times, they told me that's what it is for a "sport" bike. I said the Versys is not a "sport" bike and they should recheck their quote. They wouldn't do it so I moved on.
Shame, I liked Progressive until then.

The reason for not "investing" in collision insurance, if I have an accident and it's my fault, I prefer to pay for it AFTER it happens, not BEFORE it happens.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:57 PM

2011 Kawasaki Versys

Progressive for me @ 65 years old:
- $50k Bodily Injury
- $25k Property Damage
- $1k deductible Comprehensive
- $1k deductible Collision
- $3k Accessory Coverage
Total - $191.45
Old 12-09-2012, 03:07 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
I did have Progressive until they got greedy and wanted too much money.
I had a KLR 650 through them for around $110/yr and when I sold the KLR and got the Versys it went up to $260/yr I questioned them a couple times, they told me that's what it is for a "sport" bike. I said the Versys is not a "sport" bike and they should recheck their quote. They wouldn't do it so I moved on.
Shame, I liked Progressive until then.
Kawasaki markets the Versys as a sport bike. That is how it is entered into the insurance and DMV database.

I love Progressive. 1/3 of the cost of my last provider and I have not found a better price anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
The reason for not "investing" in collision insurance, if I have an accident and it's my fault, I prefer to pay for it AFTER it happens, not BEFORE it happens.
I agree completely!

Versys Owners/Riders Map Here.

Add your name and see who's near you!

Old 12-09-2012, 05:24 PM

I went with Progressive- I can't recall the coverages offhand, I would have to look it up, but it's costing about $30/Month, which fits my budget. I do have uninsured driver coverage. Colorado's insurance is torte rather than no-fault, so if I get hit but an uninsured driver (I have had two cars hit this way in the last 20 years, I know it happens a lot) I would have to hire a lawyer to get anything from that driver, and all they would need to do is not show up for the hearing.
Thanks for all the suggestions. Now that I'm covered, all I need is for the weather to improve (up until last night it's been unusually warm and dry here, last night we got cold snow and ice on the roads) and enough daylight time to start practicing my skills. I'm a letter carrier and the work hours have been brutal- 6 days a week, 10-12 hours a day.
It will happen, it might just take some time.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
BY THE WAY - in "communist British Columbia" I am forced to pay (roughly) $1200 per year for ONLY liability, property damage and 'fire and theft' - NO COLLISION! (I ONLY buy enough months to get back to Arizona in the fall....)

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 12-15-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
BY THE WAY - in "communist British Columbia" I am forced to pay (roughly) $1200 per year for ONLY liability, property damage and 'fire and theft' - NO COLLISION! (I ONLY buy enough months to get back to Arizona in the fall....)
Don't feel bad, I pay close to $1000, with collision, in Ontario, a fellow Versys owner with a newer bike, that lives south of me in rural Ontario pays less than half that, for the same coverage.BTW I have every discount including age, I live in a high loss area.

As to collision, it was explained to me that if you parked your bike on the side of the road or in a parking lot, came back and found it damaged, collision would pay for it. I always thought it was a case of if I was involved in a accident and it was my fault that collision would pay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement