Moisture in headlight - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Technical Discussion

Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Old 12-07-2012, 09:48 AM

Default Moisture in headlight

I noticed this morning that my headlight assembly seems to have some moisture in it. Have you guys run into this at all? How bad is it/how tough a fix?

Last edited by goat12; 12-07-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 11:45 AM

Someone posted about changing his lights to projectors, and detailed how you take the housings apart, and re-attaching them.

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 12-07-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Someone posted about changing his lights to projectors, and detailed how you take the housings apart, and re-attaching them.
Pardon my opinion, but honestly that seems way overkill... If it's just a little moisture, maybe you could try to stuff a rag through the lamp hole (with the help of some long soft object?) and work it around to clean the moisture?...

Most important... Try to find how/why the moisture got in there in the 1st place... A bad lamp/housing joint?... The rubber piece that goes in the back of the lamp, not properly fitted?...

My 2 cents

Cheers

Last edited by Daedalus62; 12-07-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus62 View Post
Pardon my opinion, but honestly that seems way overkill... If it's just a little moisture, maybe you could try to stuff a rag through the lamp hole (with the help of some long soft object?) and work it around to clean the moisture?...

Most important... Try to find how/why the moisture got in there in the 1st place... A bad lamp/housing joint?... The rubber piece that goes in the back of the lamp, not properly fitted?...

My 2 cents

Cheers
"The rubber piece that goes in the back of the lamp, not properly fitted?..." Thatīs what it is probably all about. Washing/spraying water "from behind" could be the cause. Just drive around the block and watch the moisture evaporate... IMHO
Old 12-07-2012, 07:52 PM

2008 Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys Blue/Silver

The moisture normally does go off after the headlight's warmed up. Seen this for a car though.

Ride safe,
Old 12-08-2012, 02:13 AM

Mine has this misting occasionally but it goes away. I don't see it anymore or maybe I've not paid attention to it.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:20 PM

I always thought this was normal. The whole assembly isn't sealed/air tight. There's a vent somewhere.

If you try cleaning the moisture out, be sure not to rub the shiny reflective backing too much.

But again, not a big deal.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the info. I was trying to figure out if there was indeed a vent somewhere. Seems to have dissipated a day later.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:23 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versysy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
That will be me , but for a little moisture just run the headlight a few blocks and it will disappear and you dont have to break the seal . just check the rubber housing at the back and you are good.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:16 AM

My headlight assembly has a crack in it right behind the gray bar that goes across....trying to get Kawasaki to replace it. Had to my dealer when it was on warranty but he would not look at....so when i put the bike up this year for winter I took it apart to see what was going and found the crack.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:29 PM

Condensation happens, comes but goes. Happened on my Zed and the V. Recently replaced the original headlamp units on my BMW E39 5 Series with pukka HELLA 'angel eye' units. Occassionally happens to them to a small degree, but soon goes. Still the best mod I've done to the car so far. Apologies for posting pics of my car, I just love those lights..!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0444.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	16405   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0450.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	16406   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0454.jpg
Views:	35