LED Driving Light Install (from ADVrider) - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Modifications - Cosmetic

Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

Old 03-22-2011, 02:33 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
Are the old ones still available?

I think he is phasing the 10 and 24 watt and going with a 30 and 44 watt.

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hst...StoreFront.bok
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty_h View Post
Quick update guys on my lights that came in from Jon at ADV Monster. He has recently upgraded his lights to a 4 LED 2000 Lumen setup which I missed out on, but I do have his 24 watt 3 bulb system. Let me tell you... night driving is a different ballgame. I installed with a set of Pingel Clamps. I have been looking for a good place to secure these as I was not too keen on mounting them on the upper fairing or the lower front fender (in case of drops) So, I have ended up with them here.

Yikes! kinda dirty. Probably add plastic thread caps to the top soon.

Hope this inspires.
Where did you get the fork clamps??
Old 04-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

I think these are the ones that Scotty used:

http://www.pingelonline.com/stabiliz...be_bracket.htm

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

My Wisconsin Rustic Roads Century Progress
Old 11-18-2011, 10:21 AM

I finally got around to installing these. They were great for a night, then the next I turned them on, then off, and now they won't come back on. Checked the fuse and it is good, so now I need to start tracing things back. I'm leaning toward the switch. I got the one they sell on the ADV Monster site, and it doesn't seem to click like it did before.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:58 AM

Wiring is all good. I read on ADV that HID lights can kill the LED driving lights. I hope that didn't happen with mine.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:55 AM

Reviving an old thread.

How so? I do intend to use this in addition to a hid setup.
- Front Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master pump - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS Brake lines - Osram Nightbreakers+ low, Osram Hyper Rallye 65W high - LED 30w spotlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low
Old 12-05-2012, 11:01 AM

I think someone said it was the inrush current spike. I have not been able to confirm that, but my lights both stopped working. I haven't taken them apart yet to trace down any burnt components or anything yet.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:50 AM

I've got the 30 watt variety. VERY bright, wow! Mine are mounted much the same as the OP's and I did a fairly quick swap out of the Walmart lights I'd had on (and replaced under warranty several times...they are junk, unfortunately).

One issue I had is I needed to replace the supplied small pan machine screws that hold the bracket in place and allow side to side light aiming. The supplied screw heads looked Phillips but did not cleanly engage with any of about two dozen Phillips screw drivers I have, nor did they work with JIS screwdrivers (I have 4 of those). Just couldn't get enough torque on the screw without the screwdriver slipping out. I though I had tightened them enough to hold the lights tightly in place but when I came home from a ride on Monday the right light was pointing way off to the right. The left one was still pointing straight but I was able to move it by hand easily. A trip to Lowe's and $4 solved the problem with 6-32 x 1 1/4 stainless machine screws that work with screwdrivers and nylon insert nuts to keep things from loosening up. Nice and snug now.

Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
Reading Material: motobones.com
Old 12-06-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
I think someone said it was the inrush current spike. I have not been able to confirm that, but my lights both stopped working. I haven't taken them apart yet to trace down any burnt components or anything yet.
I am thinking of adding separate on/off switch for both the LED and HID.

Both OFF when starting the bike. As and when the bike idles fine and ready to go, HID headlamp is flipped ON (the law in my place here requires the headlamp to be constantly on). As and when the situation requires (night riding), then flick the LED ON, while at the same time i have the option to either keep the HID ON or OFF.

Just trying to minimise the load on the power coils. There has been a few cases of versys coils burnt in my country. They're 2011 bikes.
- Front Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master pump - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS Brake lines - Osram Nightbreakers+ low, Osram Hyper Rallye 65W high - LED 30w spotlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low
Old 12-06-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I've got the 30 watt variety. VERY bright, wow! Mine are mounted much the same as the OP's and I did a fairly quick swap out of the Walmart lights I'd had on (and replaced under warranty several times...they are junk, unfortunately).
i'd prefer to mount them on the radiator shrouds, so that it wont be a costly affair should my bike decides to have a rest on its sides.
Thanks for the tip on the phillip head screw though.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low
Old 12-07-2012, 05:22 PM

Nice idea. I just did some searching and found the below lights for $16 shipped for the set.

1500lum 12V 2 Pcs 3 LED High Power Auxiliary Spot Light for Motor Bike ATV Jeep
http://www.neewer.com/1500lum-12v-2-...p_p_13901.html

They look identical. For $16 ill take a chance on them. Just will take a few weeks to show up.

What do y'll think?
Old 12-08-2012, 11:25 AM

Just ordered TWO sets, for 'BIG RED' and 'the Green Hornet'!

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 12-09-2012, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naples_kev View Post
Nice idea. I just did some searching and found the below lights for $16 shipped for the set.

1500lum 12V 2 Pcs 3 LED High Power Auxiliary Spot Light for Motor Bike ATV Jeep
http://www.neewer.com/1500lum-12v-2-...p_p_13901.html

They look identical. For $16 ill take a chance on them. Just will take a few weeks to show up.

What do y'll think?
Yeap, those 1500/1600 lumens led lights came before the 3000 led lights. Those 3000s were recently introduced this year.

While the 1500/1600 lumens are good enough for roadside illumination but after seeing the side by side comparison of both lights, i was like, oh what the hell i'll just blast them till kingdom come.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low
Old 04-01-2013, 03:44 PM

2005 BMW R1200GS
Default ADVMonster

Just filled out an order for the ADVmonster lights.....they are priced at $45 a piece....shipping came out to $39.....that doesn't seem right. Is there a coupon code for the site?

Choppastyle
Old 04-02-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppastyle View Post
Just filled out an order for the ADVmonster lights.....they are priced at $45 a piece....shipping came out to $39.....that doesn't seem right. Is there a coupon code for the site?

Choppastyle
The shipping will change later in the process. I just received my second set the other day. They will be going on the TU250.

I have the dimmer on the V.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:25 PM

2005 BMW R1200GS
Default shipping

You're right....it changed at step 3 to $9....much better and ordered. I wonder how many people have been scared away by original posted fee

Look forward to giving these a go

Thank you,

Choppastyle
Old 04-06-2013, 07:57 PM

2005 BMW R1200GS
Default Installed Lights Today

Installed the lights today. I bought a toggle switch but decided to wire them directly to my fuse box. I went to the "Light" fuse so they come on and off with the bike. Works perfect

Thank you,

Choppastyle
Old 04-06-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
The shipping will change later in the process. I just received my second set the other day. They will be going on the TU250.

I have the dimmer on the V.

What are you using to mount the lights in that spot?

May the road always curve in front of you.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:24 AM

Zatx, that's the sw-motech hawk light mount. Mine's the same.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low
Old 04-07-2013, 04:04 PM

Kawasaki Versys

I just drilled through the radiator cowling and used cushioned washers to sandwich the bolt and spread the load. So far, no problems and both lights are very steady. I preferred this to buying the SW-Motech mounts as, well, I think they are not that good looking a solution.

For 5 watts power, they're pretty damn bright.

And very neat.

Nice switch too.

Advertisement